Fabric Dyeing/Painting for Cosplay panel?

Started by Enkai, February 20, 2012, 07:54:50 AM

Enkai

I've been interested in running a panel for a while, and I had a realization that probably the more unique panel I could offer would be related to dyeing and painting fabric for cosplay.  Would people be interested?  And would anybody be interested in being a panelist?  Between my husband and I, we've covered a lot of techniques, but I don't have a lot of experience with silk painting (although I'd like to add that to my repertoire).

I'll list what we can definitely go over; tell me if there's something else people would be interested in hearing about.

Techniques I can cover
Basic dyeing - dyeing different fabric types (differences between dyeing cotton, silk, wool and types of dye to use for each of those)
Dyeing synthetics (and the weird things I've attempted for that)
Dyeing fabric vs dyeing whole garments
Dye techniques -
           tie dying/shibori (not certain on that, but I'm considering doing shibori for my masq costume for Fanime)
           Hombre/Gradient dyeing (this is 100% to end up in the panel if I do it)
           Batik
Fabric Painting
           Paint types and what paint is best for what you're doing
                  includes painting vinyl/leather (i.e. boot covers), painting on stretch fabrics, and other general paint things
           Resists (ties in with Batik to a certain extent)
Screen Printing - this would mostly be my husband's area of expertise

Any thoughts?  Would this be an interesting panel?  Let me know!

BunofGovt

I'd be interested in attending this panel certainly!  If you've got experience with mixing colors to get the color or shade you need, I'd like to hear about that, too.  There are times where I've searched for just the right fabric color and had to settle for something close but not exact (not that I'm fussy but I would like to know more about the color wheel).  I'd love to hear about the fabric painting!
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

nurikowindchaser

I would love this panel, mostly for the painting on fabric bits.  I'm always afraid any painting I do on fabric will crack off and look horrible.

Somebody

I'd be very interested in attending! This looks like an excellent idea for a panel!  :)
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

Tsubasakissu

Enkai

Glad to hear folks are interested!  I just got my email with my time slot (Monday at 11), so it's definitely happening!

xxToki

I'd definitely attend this panel! I'm so inexperienced when it comes to dying and painting fabrics, and this sounds like it'd be incredibly helpful. D8
*Fanime'14 Plans ;;
Christa Renz from Attack on Titan
Haru (ballgown) from The Cat Returns
Junko Enoshima from Dangan Ronpa
Kou Matsouka (fanmade ED outfit) from Free!

Ciello

I would find this panel extremely beneficial and I think we need more panels like this at all conventions. The only ones I see regarding cosplay are in regard to sewing and altering but the panelists at those talk as if everyone has a sewing machine and so it's like their speaking a different language to me and the potential audience.
My roommate just started leather dyeing (he makes custom and original leatherwork for cosplay and accessories). I would really like for this panel to happen and be long enough to calmly explain each fabric and dye type, ect. You could add a "what not to do" list from mistakes made to help the audience and also leave time for questions at the end? Seriously, I'd like this panel to be a good hour to an hour and a half if you are comfortable taking questions and are confident in your fabric knowledge.
  You'll be improving future cosplays and helping people like myself out so much.
facebook.com/TeamForTheWin
deviantart.com/solesekken
tumblr.com/TeamForTheWin
-Artist-Writer-Leatherworker-

TifaIA

I'm happy to see that this panel was approved and will do my best to attend. I'll be hosting a similar panel in a few months. I'd love to be able to talk to you about this for our Cosplay Podcast, CosPod. It's an interesting topic that few people know about!