FanimeCon 2012 Speeddating: Official Thread!

Started by yaki-ika, February 21, 2012, 10:00:25 PM

renalcul

Quote from: Amanojaku on June 01, 2012, 01:33:44 PM
To those that were involved in the selection process for the speed dating:  What was the age of the oldest person you selected?

Selection Process?

Amanojaku

Quote from: renalcul on June 04, 2012, 12:24:05 AM
To those that were involved in the selection process for the speed dating:  What was the age of the oldest person you selected?

Selection Process?

Well, I presume they weren't drawing names from a hat, and had some method of evaluating the applications.  I'm wondering if perhaps people were excluded for being "too old."  I notice my question hasn't been addressed yet.
FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

TheMaKaKi

Quote from: Amanojaku on June 04, 2012, 01:23:38 PM

Selection Process?

Well, I presume they weren't drawing names from a hat, and had some method of evaluating the applications.  I'm wondering if perhaps people were excluded for being "too old."  I notice my question hasn't been addressed yet.

We did not "evaluate" the applications on any individual basis. As reiterated throughout the thread, we processed attendee's applications on a first-come, first-serve basis. Whoever sign up first for the specific time slots were confirmed attendees for the Speed Dating events and we specifically emailed them their date/time slot information.

No one was excluded in any way based on their individual information. All attendees however had to be 18+ years old with proper government, picture ID at the event. We had attendees from all ages from 18+ and even people who were 30+.

For the attendees who participated, they are in no way obligated to answer your question about the age of their matches, f.y.i. It's their choice to state on the forums publicly. But to answer your question about age exclusions, No.
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

2016, 2015, 2014: Speed Dating Head
2013: Speed Dating Co-Head
2012 : Speed Dating Second
2002 'till Present : Fan Attendee <33

Amanojaku

Quote from: TheMaKaKi on June 04, 2012, 01:56:24 PM
Quote from: Amanojaku on June 04, 2012, 01:23:38 PM

Selection Process?

We did not "evaluate" the applications on any individual basis. As reiterated throughout the thread, we processed attendee's applications on a first-come, first-serve basis. Whoever sign up first for the specific time slots were confirmed attendees for the Speed Dating events and we specifically emailed them their date/time slot information.

No one was excluded in any way based on their individual information. All attendees however had to be 18+ years old with proper government, picture ID at the event. We had attendees from all ages from 18+ and even people who were 30+.
For the attendees who participated, they are in no way obligated to answer your question about the age of their matches, f.y.i. It's their choice to state on the forums publicly. But to answer your question about age exclusions, No.
That is what I was looking for, thanks.
FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

spycker

I think there was too many youngsters! below 18! thats why the over 21 people didnt get in ;)

TheMaKaKi

Quote from: spycker on June 06, 2012, 11:15:05 PM
I think there was too many youngsters! below 18! thats why the over 21 people didnt get in ;)

There were NO attendees under 18 years old. This is exclusively a 18+ years old event. All participants were required to have FanimeCon badge and proper government-issued picture ID. We do not encourage nor allow minors to participate in Speed Dating at all. No exceptions. We checked everyone in and we had a good range of ages!

Please refrain from making incorrect statements or speculations without first researching this thread or our website. Thank you!
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

renalcul

Quote from: spycker on June 06, 2012, 11:15:05 PM
People older than 21 got in >_>

Maskenlav

hey for an input why not ACTUALLY let in the people who pre-reg to actually get in before the at-door people? My friend was complaining ALL weekend that he wanted to meet girls but wasn't attending cause he couldn't get in cause seats were filled by walk-ins? Like the badge lines you should let them in first before the rest yes?
"I'll do it! I'll marry you!"

TheMaKaKi

Quote from: Maskenlav on June 07, 2012, 01:29:57 PM
hey for an input why not ACTUALLY let in the people who pre-reg to actually get in before the at-door people? My friend was complaining ALL weekend that he wanted to meet girls but wasn't attending cause he couldn't get in cause seats were filled by walk-ins? Like the badge lines you should let them in first before the rest yes?

To clarify again: FanimeCon attendees could sign-up for Speed Dating Event starting May 1st via FanimeCon Speed Dating online forms. Everyone who signed up online was automatically sent an initial email stating that we have received your online form. Secondly before FanimeCon started, the attendees who signed up online on a first-come, first-serve basis were placed in specific time slots. We, the Speed Dating Staff, personally emailed the attendees who received a specific time slot. Meaning if you or your friend did not receive a Congratulatory Email from us stating your specific time slot, it means that you did not receive a spot.

Hence afterwards, if you did not receive a spot, then we recommended all attendees through the forums and website to wait at-con early if you still wanted to participate in Speed Dating. The "walk-ins" you saw could have been attendees who registered just like you and your friend but did not receive a specific time slot either and wanted to wait early.

During the event, we did let the Congratulatory, confirmed attendees in first, then we took at-con waiters. We are always looking to improve and appreciate the feedback. Next year, we will send out Congratulatory emails and emails stating whether or not you received a spot to avoid confusion.

However if you really wanted to participate, then please check the thread/forums and website for more details. As we, the Staff, have repeatedly explained the process on the forums and website. Not sure if I can repeat or make this any more clear... We have a limited amount of spots and regrettably cannot take in everyone. Honestly, this is FanimeCon. There are people everywhere that your friend can meet and we encourage for attendees who don't participate in the event or for the ones who do and don't get matches- to just meet new people on the floor! Speed Dating is a fun event and we're not here to find people their soulmates. Thank you!
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

spycker

well every girl i saw had a BF...but i did meet new friends that i added on facebook

renalcul

Quote from: spycker on June 07, 2012, 08:23:59 PM
well every girl i saw had a BF...but i did meet new friends that i added on facebook
Challenge him to a duel for her heart. That will surely win her over.

kane64

Quote from: renalcul on June 07, 2012, 09:20:13 PM
Quote from: spycker on June 07, 2012, 08:23:59 PM
Challenge him to a duel for her heart. That will surely win her over.
It's time to dududududuDUEL...
"I'm addicted to Star Trek
"I'm a Klingon speaking federation freak
"I find I'm more inclined
"To spend the bulk of my time
"On the starship Enterprise
"Than talking to girls I meet"
-Deaf Pedestrians

el_caifan

Um, why are people still complaining? I signed up, didnt get in. I managed to talk to ladies at the con, had a great time! Expand the event for next year.
somos como gatos en celo
somos una célula que explota
y esa no la paras, no la paras
no, no

TheMaKaKi

Quote from: el_caifan on June 08, 2012, 06:56:32 AM
Um, why are people still complaining? I signed up, didnt get in. I managed to talk to ladies at the con, had a great time! Expand the event for next year.

We definitely will! Thanks for the feedback and understanding :) We do recognize that there were some confusion about the process and need for clarification about signing up online vs receiving a specific time slot for participation.

Glad you had a great time, and we promise we will expand next year! Count on either more Speed Dating events or a bigger room to accommodate attendees. Remember everyone, the more SUPPORT and constructive FEEDBACK we get, FanimeCon will see the need to continually expand Speed Dating!!! We will announce a way to receive Feedback from attendees, but for now, please keep posting your Feedback here. THANKS!  :D
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

kane64

I actually had one concern... is there a way to have a like a speed dating slot where people who are single only meet people who are single as well? Cause I heard that there were a few people, male and female, that went to the speed dating event who were in relationships already.
So like, have some of the speed dating things for people who just want to make new friends and another for those who are looking to hook up/find love?
-Deaf Pedestrians

renalcul

Quote from: kane64 on June 09, 2012, 12:01:58 AM
I actually had one concern... is there a way to have a like a speed dating slot where people who are single only meet people who are single as well? Cause I heard that there were a few people, male and female, that went to the speed dating event who were in relationships already.
So like, have some of the speed dating things for people who just want to make new friends and another for those who are looking to hook up/find love?

Well that's what we did in terms of pre registration, but i mean it's impossible for us to really enforce, moreso with walk ins.

Name?  Okay, now lemme just facebook your relationships status really quick.

I am an advocate for Speed-Friending next year, as people seem interested in that, but only time can tell on that one.

Also, it should be noted, that some people might be in relationships and trying to find someone better than their current partner. :Teach:

kane64

Quote from: renalcul on June 09, 2012, 01:26:46 AM

Well that's what we did in terms of pre registration, but i mean it's impossible for us to really enforce, moreso with walk ins.

Name?  Okay, now lemme just facebook your relationships status really quick.

I am an advocate for Speed-Friending next year, as people seem interested in that, but only time can tell on that one.

Also, it should be noted, that some people might be in relationships and trying to find someone better than their current partner. :Teach:
That last part is very true. But I just wanted to kind of bring it up for looking into it for next year, maybe.
-Deaf Pedestrians

Bushido

Cause I heard that there were a few people, male and female, that went to the speed dating event who were in relationships already.

This does ruin the whole main intent on speeddating. It's almost like giving the other person a false sense of hope, only for a possible outcome of... oh jk I was already with someone. Hope this is not the extreme case.
TK-3942
Golden Gate Garrison
501st Legion

ANH - Stormtrooper

el_caifan

Quote from: Bushido on June 09, 2012, 11:08:39 AM
Cause I heard that there were a few people, male and female, that went to the speed dating event who were in relationships already.

This does ruin the whole main intent on speeddating. It's almost like giving the other person a false sense of hope, only for a possible outcome of... oh jk I was already with someone. Hope
this is not the extreme case.
yea it defeats the purpose of speeddating. Will expanding the event help though? Were there enough ladies signed up this year that there were ladies who didnt make it into the event?

somos como gatos en celo
somos una célula que explota
y esa no la paras, no la paras
no, no

renalcul

Quote from: el_caifan on June 09, 2012, 03:46:19 PM
Quote from: Bushido on June 09, 2012, 11:08:39 AM

This does ruin the whole main intent on speeddating. It's almost like giving the other person a false sense of hope, only for a possible outcome of... oh jk I was already with someone. Hope
this is not the extreme case.
yea it defeats the purpose of speeddating. Will expanding the event help though? Were there enough ladies signed up this year that there were ladies who didnt make it into the event?

enough for maybe one or two more, basically by making two each day and taking out one of the LGBT ones (since we only had about enough for one full group of each, we ended up with two half groups.)

Honestly a chunk of the people who signed up and got in didn't show up at all for the event.