FanimeCon 2012 Speeddating: Official Thread!

Started by yaki-ika, February 21, 2012, 10:00:25 PM

TheMaKaKi

Quote from: el_caifan on June 09, 2012, 03:46:19 PM
Quote from: Bushido on June 09, 2012, 11:08:39 AM
Quote from: kane64 on June 09, 2012, 12:01:58 AM
Cause I heard that there were a few people, male and female, that went to the speed dating event who were in relationships already.

This does ruin the whole main intent on speeddating. It's almost like giving the other person a false sense of hope, only for a possible outcome of... oh jk I was already with someone. Hope
this is not the extreme case.
yea it defeats the purpose of speeddating. Will expanding the event help though? Were there enough ladies signed up this year that there were ladies who didnt make it into the event?

For curious people to know, we had over 400 online sign-ups and Friday had an at-con wait line of over 80 people! That is amazing! We will definitely expand in a way that is paced with FanimeCon's support to ensure a fair number of attendees can participate. This year, we had more than enough ladies for each of our non-LGBT events. For the LGBT events, we are looking ways to incorporate more participation as well.

If you have any suggestions for us, that'd be great and much appreciated! Thank you.
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

2016, 2015, 2014: Speed Dating Head
2013: Speed Dating Co-Head
2012 : Speed Dating Second
2002 'till Present : Fan Attendee <33

airanimechiic

Quote from: renalcul on June 09, 2012, 04:18:11 PM
Cause I heard that there were a few people, male and female, that went to the speed dating event who were in relationships already.

This does ruin the whole main intent on speeddating. It's almost like giving the other person a false sense of hope, only for a possible outcome of... oh jk I was already with someone. Hope
yea it defeats the purpose of speeddating. Will expanding the event help though? Were there enough ladies signed up this year that there were ladies who didnt make it into the event?

enough for maybe one or two more, basically by making two each day and taking out one of the LGBT ones (since we only had about enough for one full group of each, we ended up with two half groups.)

Honestly 50% of the people who signed up and got in didn't show up at all for the event.

in regards to the not enough LGBT participants, i think that may be related to the fact that not enough people knew about it. i mean, even on the day of the con, a good portion of people didn't even know saturday was for LGBT. not to mention the entertaining "extremely beta" announcement you guys made xD
personally, i think having 3 events each day would fit more? or split into two rooms and have two events going on at the same time?
Me!
Videos <3
Blog <3
Dance <3
Twitter: @resachiic
Instagram: @resachiic

Cosplays 2019: Luna(SailorMoon), Mimikyu

renalcul

Quote from: airanimechiic on June 10, 2012, 04:11:41 AM
Quote from: renalcul on June 09, 2012, 04:18:11 PM

enough for maybe one or two more, basically by making two each day and taking out one of the LGBT ones (since we only had about enough for one full group of each, we ended up with two half groups.)

Honestly 50% of the people who signed up and got in didn't show up at all for the event.

in regards to the not enough LGBT participants, i think that may be related to the fact that not enough people knew about it. i mean, even on the day of the con, a good portion of people didn't even know saturday was for LGBT. not to mention the entertaining "extremely beta" announcement you guys made xD
personally, i think having 3 events each day would fit more? or split into two rooms and have two events going on at the same time?
Well it's more that we were technically full for all the events, so we saw no need to really advertise. We didn't expect as many no shows as we got. I mean it would be fine and dandy to have that many events, but it also would require a growth period to be effective. I mean we tried jumping straight to 2 lgbt events and ended up with only 4 people for a 15 person event.  I mean, things could be vastly different next year, bit personally I'd rather see one full event where everyone has a great time and a couple people don't get in, than two or more events that only have someone meeting less than a handful of people.  

But at this point all that I say is basically opinions.

TheMaKaKi

If you have a SUCCESS STORY about your Speed Dating experience, please tell us! You are not obligated to tell us your personal info but if it worked out between your match or you enjoyed the event, TELL US!!! That's how we know that Speed Dating works miracles :) GRACIAS!
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

airanimechiic

Quote from: TheMaKaKi on June 11, 2012, 10:41:38 AM
If you have a SUCCESS STORY about your Speed Dating experience, please tell us! You are not obligated to tell us your personal info but if it worked out between your match or you enjoyed the event, TELL US!!! That's how we know that Speed Dating works miracles :) GRACIAS!

Well I guess this counts as a half success story in which I did match with someone and, although we don't live anywhere close enough to actually date in person, we still keep in touch online.
Me!
Videos <3
Blog <3
Dance <3
Twitter: @resachiic
Instagram: @resachiic

Cosplays 2019: Luna(SailorMoon), Mimikyu

Kayog

Just an idea:

Since speed dating has become so popular that the demand is about 4 time greater than the supply of seat. Would it be possible to create a singles mixer? Attendants would still have to sign up, receive a time slot, and show their id to prove that they are 18 years old to attend this event. This would allow more people to participate in the event and still have the assurance that they are talking to someone that is 18 and looking to find someone.       

kane64

Quote from: Kayog on July 02, 2012, 11:35:14 PM
Just an idea:

Since speed dating has become so popular that the demand is about 4 time greater than the supply of seat. Would it be possible to create a singles mixer? Attendants would still have to sign up, receive a time slot, and show their id to prove that they are 18 years old to attend this event. This would allow more people to participate in the event and still have the assurance that they are talking to someone that is 18 and looking to find someone.       
I like this idea and would happily support it.
"I'm addicted to Star Trek
"I'm a Klingon speaking federation freak
"I find I'm more inclined
"To spend the bulk of my time
"On the starship Enterprise
"Than talking to girls I meet"
-Deaf Pedestrians

renalcul

Just an idea:

That is only really the case in males, most females got in.

If a mixer were done in the same way, you'd basically have about 4:1 ratio of dudes to ladies.

JUSSSSSSSSSSSSS Sayin.

Kayog

Quote from: renalcul on July 03, 2012, 02:16:03 PM
Just an idea:

If a mixer were done in the same way, you'd basically have about 4:1 ratio of dudes to ladies.

JUSSSSSSSSSSSSS Sayin.

I still saw about 5-10 females that were turned away during one of the event.

True, a mixer would most likely have a higher males to females ratio, but the event coordinators could cap it off once the event hit a ratio of (X) male to (X) females. The ratio would not be any different than a normal club on a Friday night. You also know that they like anime to some extent which is rare to find in every day encounters (at least for me). A mixer would change the dynamics of the event to where people will have to uses their social skills to start conversations will people. I think this type of format would have a greater chance for Fanime attendees (depending on how large the room is) to participate in this type of event than a speed dating room with 20 male and female participants.   

Maybe they could have both mixers and speed dating for Fanime to relieve some of the demand from this event.

renalcul

Quote from: Kayog on July 03, 2012, 07:51:43 PM
Quote from: renalcul on July 03, 2012, 02:16:03 PM
Just an idea:

JUSSSSSSSSSSSSS Sayin.

I still saw about 5-10 females that were turned away during one of the event.

True, a mixer would most likely have a higher males to females ratio, but the event coordinators could cap it off once the event hit a ratio of (X) male to (X) females. The ratio would not be any different than a normal club on a Friday night. You also know that they like anime to some extent which is rare to find in every day encounters (at least for me). A mixer would change the dynamics of the event to where people will have to uses their social skills to start conversations will people. I think this type of format would have a greater chance for Fanime attendees (depending on how large the room is) to participate in this type of event than a speed dating room with 20 male and female participants.   

Maybe they could have both mixers and speed dating for Fanime to relieve some of the demand from this event.

5 girls were turned away versus about 50 dudes. Honestly, the smart move would just be to convert one of the lgbt events on saturday to hetero and add another hetero on friday. I doubt there would be more females than that.

Plus any dudes who would do well at a mixer would do well at any point in the con, speed dating tends to offer better chances for less conventional individuals.

TheMaKaKi

Speed Dating has recently started up few years ago. We are still improving on our current event!

There are events such as Kayog has mentioned...they are all the FanimeCon dances, BW ball, interactive panels, the hallways, etc...FanimeCon is basically one big "mixer" for everyone! I do not think it is necessary to facilitate that kind of environment when FanimeCon is THE opportunity to meet and greet new people in a comforting, fun event. We like to add something new and unique to FanimeCon, which is the Speed Dating event. But other general ideas such as that is just up to the individual to put themselves out there. Even if we held mixers such as that, there is no guarantee you'd find a match or be willing to put yourself out there at that moment. Thanks for the feedback though! We appreciate it and wanted to provide an explanation why we aren't putting on other different kinds of events since SD staff is confident that FanimeCon can work its magic if you let it ;D
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

sailorsam

SD i very interesting next time  i will participate
could anyone tell how to participate on it?

TheMaKaKi

Quote from: sailorsam on August 02, 2012, 07:15:42 AM
SD i very interesting next time  i will participate
could anyone tell how to participate on it?

Hi Sailorsam,

Starting in 2013 closer to FanimeCon event date, we will announce on the forums and official website about the online registration dates for speed dating! We are currently talking about more speed dating events and expanding it to accommodate the big demand for this :) EXCITING!!!
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

echoshadow

I hope so... I been trying to make it for the last 3 years.. lol
Its that popular.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List