Official Swap Meet Thread for Sellers 5/16/2012 *FINAL LIST / E-MAIL*

Started by angeljibrille, February 23, 2012, 11:55:09 PM

angeljibrille

Thanks everyone for attending!

We've retired! Best wishes to the person running it next year :)

kookiekween99

(Not a seller, just a concerned attendee)

So wait, you're moving... outside the Convention Center? I don't like going outside at night. :/
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Michi

I always thought having it in the video game room meant more random passersby for more sales, but as long as people definitely know where swap meet is gonna be I guess it'll be okay. :) More space and actual prep time is definitely something to look forward to!
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

angeljibrille

Quote from: kookiekween99 on February 24, 2012, 06:03:58 PM
(Not a seller, just a concerned attendee)

So wait, you're moving... outside the Convention Center? I don't like going outside at night. :/

Yes, they are moving us over to right next to the Civic. It's a really nice facility.

I'm sorry you don't like going outside at night :(   I don't really have a choice about the location.

angeljibrille

Quote from: Michi on February 24, 2012, 08:11:36 PM
I always thought having it in the video game room meant more random passersby for more sales, but as long as people definitely know where swap meet is gonna be I guess it'll be okay. :) More space and actual prep time is definitely something to look forward to!

It caused some major problems with crowd control last year, and fire marshal concerns, so we got moved to our own facility.

Xeluu

As a long time buyer/seller of the swap meet, I've gotta say I'm displeased to hear about the move of location. As a seller, lugging everything to and from the hotels and back is a major concern of mine. PARTICULARLY if we're ending the swap meet late at night as usual. I know I personally won't feel comfortable dragging all of my stuff back after around 9PM, much less 12:30AM.

Well, I'll shop there as usual, but I've gotta say this puts a damper on wanting to sell. (Not your fault, I know, but it needs to be said.)
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

bluwmonkeygod

Well i'm glad about the changes made. Having more space is a plus and having a lot of set up time is nice as well. Just have to adjust my plans on transporting my items i'm selling, but its not to bad of an issue.

angeljibrille

Quote from: Xeluu on February 26, 2012, 12:27:54 AM
As a long time buyer/seller of the swap meet, I've gotta say I'm displeased to hear about the move of location. As a seller, lugging everything to and from the hotels and back is a major concern of mine. PARTICULARLY if we're ending the swap meet late at night as usual. I know I personally won't feel comfortable dragging all of my stuff back after around 9PM, much less 12:30AM.

Well, I'll shop there as usual, but I've gotta say this puts a damper on wanting to sell. (Not your fault, I know, but it needs to be said.)

Unfortunately, I can't move the Swap Meet, I just get assigned space. If you would like to post where it will be read by people who have influence on these things, post over here:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/board,37.0.html

M

Quote from: Xeluu on February 26, 2012, 12:27:54 AMAs a long time buyer/seller of the swap meet, I've gotta say I'm displeased to hear about the move of location. As a seller, lugging everything to and from the hotels and back is a major concern of mine. PARTICULARLY if we're ending the swap meet late at night as usual. I know I personally won't feel comfortable dragging all of my stuff back after around 9PM, much less 12:30AM.

As planners, we're in a position where we can't win no matter what decision we make (move the location, change the times, increase/decrease space, etc.). As a FanimeCon event, we strive for two major things: your safety and fun.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: angeljibrille on February 25, 2012, 01:17:33 AM
Quote from: Michi on February 24, 2012, 08:11:36 PM

It caused some major problems with crowd control last year, and fire marshal concerns, so we got moved to our own facility.
I will say it did get especially crowded last year.  I went to get some coffee at the Peet's kiosk around 9, came back, and a long line had already formed as crowd control to keep the volume of bodies in the room down.  I got back in within 15 minutes or so, but when I did it looked like a sea of people.  I can't say I'm thrilled about the new location for this year, but I'll definitely still go and check it out.  It would probably be a good idea to inform other attendees through Facebook/Twitter/the schedule since the meet's been held in the game room for as long as I can remember (this will be my 5th year).

BunofGovt

Last year we were able to get our badges as we checked in for the swap meet.  Do you know if that will be available this year also?
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Ecchi ja Nai

So, selfish question first, since I still haven't come across anyone that could give me an answer to this: if I am given a volunteer badge for helping out with a Fanime event, I'm assuming I won't have a specific member ID number like I would if I had a regular weekend badge.  Will this be a problem in signing up for a spot at swap meet?

Delays are understandable especially given this drastic change in location, so I am very grateful that we're finally getting some official word on the meet.  However, I feel that the new location is going to wind up being a pretty big deal with most attendees.  Before I continue, though, I really want to point out that I can certainly appreciate all of the concerns with safety and logistics that the shared space with gaming caused, along with the fact that there really isn't anything you can do about this decision, especially at this point in time.

I think the biggest problem is that it's not actually going to be in the SJCC.  Sure, it's right there, but I've always felt that the swap meet has been a huge draw because it was right there in the thick of things.  Even being slightly off site means that sellers no longer benefit from the cross traffic that naturally occurs as people come and go from the gaming hall.  Plus, on Friday night when the dealer's hall closes, swap meet is, like, right there.  I can't tell you how many times I hear people say "I was looking for this all over the dealer hall, but nobody had it!" and that's only from observing my own space and the neighboring spaces to each side.  Who knows how frequently that happens throughout the entire meet.  It'll be interesting to see if the location has any impact on the number of people stopping by to look for a deal.

I've always thought it was great that the SJCC has two hotels that are physically connected to it (even though I've not yet had the opportunity to actually stay at either one,) and I know people are constantly coming and going from their rooms.  It's pretty neat to wind down from a full day on the floor, maybe change out of some cosplay into some PJs, and then hit the swap meet for some late night bargains.  Another thing I've noticed is when somebody browsing the floor sees some awesome giant figure, or decides to finally pick up that dance mat they've been thinking about getting for a while, and winds up with an arm full of win.  It's awkward to keep walking the floor like that (though it doesn't stop a lot of people,) so they make a stop back at their room, drop off their loot, and they're back at it a couple minutes later.  Sure, the new location won't exclude that from happening this year, but it does make it more inconvenient.

And finally, to address the fact that people, especially sellers with possibly left over merchandise and hopefully a lot of money in their pocket, may not feel safe at night is a valid point to consider.  I'm sure Fanime staff will do everything they can to keep that area safe for all attendees, possibly with extra security/police presence?  I'm actually not terribly concerned about this myself, since it usually feels pretty safe when you're in a crowd of people with similar interests, but I can totally understand people being wary in that situation, that late at night.  Heck, I usually don't get on the road to head home for the night until 2am on Friday night/Saturday morning.  I mean, do people usually get freaked out when the Musicfest or masquerade get out?  Those usually end fairly late as well, definitely when it's dark out, and it seems like the sidewalks and streets are flooded with otaku.  Most shady people would be pretty freaked out themselves.  Again, though, the fact that there will be people walking around late at night, loaded down with valuables and cash, can't be overlooked.

I hope that these points have at least been considered, and that they are addressed accordingly or wind up being non-issues.  I'm still looking forward to the swap meet, assuming I get to attend.  *ahem*  I guess we'll all find out if this year's meet winds up being another success or if there's any fallout from these changes in a couple of months.  In the mean time, I guess I should get started in organizing all the stuff I want to sell.

eralston

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on February 27, 2012, 04:42:52 AM
So, selfish question first, since I still haven't come across anyone that could give me an answer to this: if I am given a volunteer badge for helping out with a Fanime event, I'm assuming I won't have a specific member ID number like I would if I had a regular weekend badge.  Will this be a problem in signing up for a spot at swap meet?

According to the Main Volunteer Page Volunteers need to purchase a regular badge and will be reimbursed for this at a later date. I'm not sure if you used volunteer in place of staff but volunteers are required to have a regular badge.
Evan Ralston

Assistant Director of Guest Relations

angeljibrille

Quote from: BunofGovt on February 26, 2012, 08:40:02 PM
Last year we were able to get our badges as we checked in for the swap meet.  Do you know if that will be available this year also?

This is unlikely to happen this year due to some abuste of the process last year :(  However, don't worry about the not having a badge portion (on Thursday). On Friday, badges will be required.

angeljibrille

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on February 27, 2012, 04:42:52 AM

No, that's not a problem.

As for the rest: please post it here:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/board,37.0.html

The venue is decided on by FanimeCon, not by me, so it's best to post it over there where it will get seen. Thanks :)

However, I do think that in the long run this will be an excellent venue. FanimeCon is getting so large that they are going to be doing a lot of events in this new hall (I believe B&W ball and a couple of other things are held in it as well). There are also legal reasons; we need to be able have the hall in compliance, and in order to do that we can no longer host it in the same room as 24-hour gaming, without affecting 24-hour gaming.

KyraEnsui

Last year's swap meet was quite cramp as I had other sellers taking over space or con-goers stepping into other seller's spaces to see another seller's merchandise. Having more space is quite ideal since Fanime attendances has been growing every year.

B&W ball was held at the Fairmont last year from what I remember. I remember going to B&W on its first year and it was so crowded within an hour. I like the fact that Fanime is expanding its events at different places. It's true that it's not safe at night, but I've seen many con-goers stayed out late at night. It is always best to go out with groups at night.

Yay for more set-up time! 

CosplayDevotee

I have a question. I've never participated in the swap meet as a seller but was thinking of doing so this year, however I confess I've never understood the reason for lining up outside the swap meet room early if you already signed up for it. I was wondering if anyone could explain the significance of signing up as soon as registration is open but having to rush to line up on Thursday night. I understand you should be in attendance seeing as you signed up and will need to have your merchandise ready to bring in the room, but is getting there early or later a determination as to the order you get in? I only ask because my group is devout in getting to Fanime early Thursday morning so we can line up for early registration, will I be forced to choose one over the other?

Michi

Wait, is Parkside Hall not part of the con center? Does that mean maybe we can use handtrucks now?  ;D
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

Avairrianna

Will we be able to carry more stuff in/make trips in this year to sell? I understood the rules of last year to be whatever you could CARRY in and then got sad when I saw all the trolleys and carts filled 10 feet high.
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

Belfry

With the location of the Swap Meet being moved outside of the convention center, what will Fanime staff be doing to provide security when traveling between the convention hall and the new swap meet location?

I am concerned about safely transporting my unsold items back to my hotel room at late hours. After midnight, especially on Thursday, sellers tend to pack up and leave one by one, and not all at once. There will not be the safety in numbers that happens when major events like the masquerade or black and white ball end. How can I be sure that I will be able to safely get between the swap meet and the convention hall?