How many business cards should I bring to the AA?

Started by octorok, February 27, 2012, 06:04:38 PM

octorok

Another first-timer here, just wondering how many business cards I should bring to hand out. Does this usually depend on anything, like my location in the room or the quality of my art?

Thanks in advance!

sayonararollingstar

This will be my first time selling at Fanime, but I sold at AX last year! I only bought around 250 business cards and I still have a bit leftover. I think 250 is a pretty good number if it's your first time.

LiL Moon

It depends if people like your art. I also try to give it out when people purchase things because for some reason they don't seem to take one once they buy something. But they go by fast when people don't purchase anything, but they like your art. I usually bring about 500, but I always have some left over. But I do usually only have 100 or less left afterwards. I brought like 250 one time and I ran out. ^^: But this varies from person to person. Just starting out, I would agree you should try 250 if you can.

heeroyuy135

I go with 500 if you can get a good sale from a printing website like Vistaprint

Yuutousei

Having somewhere between 250-500 (I'd suggest more than less) is best. It's a great way to both show people your art (especially if you can design your own cards) but also great networking opportunities (if that's what you're interested in).

I use business cards for work purposes and it's always better to have maybe too many then too few. (It's really embarrassing - I know that from experience).

Also! Make sure you have enough time to get the cards on time? I'd say ordering a month and a half to two months before Fanime would be best.
SELLING!
Check out my current Cosplays, Panels & Plans!

octorok

octorok

Where do you guys usually get your business cards from? I was planning on getting them from Vistaprint, but I noticed a lot of bad reviews. Have any of you had good or bad experiences with them?

chibimonster

Well, with business cards, quality doesn't matter that much because they're so small. i think customers will only care that the text is readable and the picture isn't atrocious. Vistaprint currently has a 250 for $10 deal, so if they're really bad, it won't be much of a loss. I think you should go ahead and order them.

I haven't ordered anything from vistaprint, so I can't say anything about their reliability, but if you order soon, you should have time before fanime to work out any issues.

octorok

Quote from: chibimonster on March 18, 2012, 08:41:19 PM
Well, with business cards, quality doesn't matter that much because they're so small. i think customers will only care that the text is readable and the picture isn't atrocious. Vistaprint currently has a 250 for $10 deal, so if they're really [i/] bad, it won't be much of a loss. I think you should go ahead and order them.

I haven't ordered anything from vistaprint, so I can't say anything about their reliability, but if you order soon, you should have time before fanime to work out any issues.

Okie doke. I think I'll try them out after all.

The Vistaprint reviews that worried me the most were people who claimed they somehow got charged a monthly fee, or were quoted $10 shipping and charged $40. It sounds kinda nightmare-ish. What can I do to avoid that kind of stuff?

chibimonster

Read the fine print, order the cheapest shipping possible, and complain if anything goes wrong - That's the best advice I have to offer. Usually, reviews like that are freak accidents, unless they occur regularly.

Oniko

Quote from: octorok on March 18, 2012, 09:11:41 PM
Quote from: chibimonster on March 18, 2012, 08:41:19 PM
Well, with business cards, quality doesn't matter that much because they're so small. i think customers will only care that the text is readable and the picture isn't atrocious. Vistaprint currently has a 250 for $10 deal, so if they're really [i/] bad, it won't be much of a loss. I think you should go ahead and order them.

Okie doke. I think I'll try them out after all.

The Vistaprint reviews that worried me the most were people who claimed they somehow got charged a monthly fee, or were quoted $10 shipping and charged $40. It sounds kinda nightmare-ish. What can I do to avoid that kind of stuff?

I've used Vista Print twice.  Both times I got my cards on time and no funny fees.  I'm not sure why other are having problems.  But yeah I agree read the fine print, make sure you didnt check "glossy finish" or "express shipping".  My dad works in online business and a lot of people do things "by mistake" when they order.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

ttyls

Supposedly the monthly fees were an old scam Vistaprint used to do, and they've stopped that since. Check the year those reviews were made.

Either way, read the fine print, you can't go wrong XP

princeofrose

I just ordered from vista print-500=46 bucks including double side full color 100 lb prem. matte finish uploaded my own picture to both sides and the 14 day shipping (which is free)
It is the cheapest I could find besides Uprinting
only because I couldn't order glossy since it makes the colors of my picture funky. If you do glossy Uprinting would be 40 because their glossy is the standard business cards come with while vistaprint its cardstock (not the 100lb the one weighing less that)