Fanime Fun Facts and Trivia

Started by ININ, February 29, 2012, 11:17:10 PM

ININ

Fanime Con has been in the Bay Area for a long time.  The first Fanime took place at CSU Hayward (which is now CSU East Bay) in 1994.  Post Fanime facts to share and think how Fanime has grown.  Here are a few below:

Fanime '98 Took place on Valentine's Weekend Feb 14-15.

Fanime '00 First time the con was four days.  It went back to three days for '01-'03.

Fanime '01 Daylight savings time switch.  It also rained.  The next time it rained on Fanime was last year.

Fanime '03 Second time it happened in June, and two weeks before AX.  And there were no lines in the dealer's room.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Interesting, but I am missing the point of this Thread...

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

M

Quote from: ININ on February 29, 2012, 11:17:10 PMFanime '03 Only time it happened in June, and two weeks before AX.  And there were no lines in the dealer's room.
The first FanimeCon was also in June. :P
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

heeroyuy135

At Anime Expo 2007, Halko Momoi's negative experience at that convention almost caused her to vow not to come back to an American anime convention ever again.

FanimeCon 2009 brought her back to the States, almost two years after that incident.

She's been to every FanimeCon since.

M

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on March 01, 2012, 10:07:38 PMAt Anime Expo 2007, Halko Momoi's negative experience at that convention almost caused her to vow not to come back to an American anime convention ever again.

FanimeCon 2009 brought her back to the States, almost two years after that incident.

Not saying that you are or aren't lying, but I'd prefer to keep the negativity in regards to other events off of our forums. :)

otakuya

There are more registered attendants at FanimeCon than any other single event at HP Pavilion, including Sharks playoffs.

HP Pavilion hockey capacity: 17,562
HP Pavilion concert capacity: 19,190
FanimeCon's 2011 attendance: 19,250 (number taken from Team San Jose's quarterly fiscal report)

M

Quote from: Otakuya on March 03, 2012, 07:57:41 PM
There are more registered attendants at FanimeCon than any other single event at HP Pavilion, including Sharks playoffs.

FanimeCon's 2011 attendance: 19,250 (number taken from Team San Jose's quarterly fiscal report)

People keep quoting the Team San Jose quarterly report, but it's wrong. We don't actually know how they got that number. :(

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: MPLe on March 03, 2012, 11:57:32 PM
Quote from: Otakuya on March 03, 2012, 07:57:41 PM

People keep quoting the Team San Jose quarterly report, but it's wrong. We don't actually know how they got that number. :(

Have we gotten a official number of attendees yet for 2011?

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Maskenlav

I was going to say more attendance than san jose sharks hockey? Highly doubted that cause more people know more of that, plus its a professional team lol
"I'll do it! I'll marry you!"

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Maskenlav on March 04, 2012, 11:26:54 AM
I was going to say more attendance than san jose sharks hockey? Highly doubted that cause more people know more of that, plus its a professional team lol

Yeah, but it's in California...

Fact: At some point in their lives, 1 in 6 children will be abducted by the Dutch

M

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on March 04, 2012, 11:23:57 AMHave we gotten a official number of attendees yet for 2011?
20k+ :)

It's on our About Us page as well as our press releases.

Glitch

Quote from: MPLe on March 02, 2012, 12:52:16 AM
Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on March 01, 2012, 10:07:38 PMAt Anime Expo 2007, Halko Momoi's negative experience at that convention almost caused her to vow not to come back to an American anime convention ever again.

Not saying that you are or aren't lying, but I'd prefer to keep the negativity in regards to other events off of our forums. :)
If you wanna stay on the positives, then how about the fact that Momoi put on a Fanime shirt and started chanting "Fanime,fanime!". Yeah, cuz we're that awesome.

kookiekween99

Quote from: MPLe on March 04, 2012, 11:27:18 PM
Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on March 04, 2012, 11:23:57 AMHave we gotten a official number of attendees yet for 2011?

It's on our About Us page as well as our press releases.

I always heard 18k. Wow.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

otakuya

Quote from: MPLe on March 04, 2012, 11:27:18 PM
So it's still more than the hockey and concert capacity of HP Pavilion 8)

Note: I didn't mean to cause another storm about attendance figures.

Mr. Wendell

I wonder for last year, had the San Jose Sharks came back to beat the Vancouver Canucks in Game 5, and Game 6 happened at the Shark Tank, would it have made a dent or added to FanimeCon's numbers...

I know at least a few of the FanimeCon staff would have gone missing...  ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wv3ha5qJSo
They hate this awful face, gonna cause **** in this place.

Mr. Wendell
Head '24, Host w/ the Most, Stage Zero, FanimeCon '06-'24
Life of the Party, (insert convention here)

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Mr. Wendell on March 06, 2012, 02:05:14 PM
I wonder for last year, had the San Jose Sharks came back to beat the Vancouver Canucks in Game 5, and Game 6 happened at the Shark Tank, would it have made a dent or added to FanimeCon's numbers...

Not anything significant.
Even assuming a decent majority of Fanime Attendees were Sharks fans (or fans of the opposing team), most would probably watch the game from home (or hotel room) instead of actually going to the game, I would imagine. Then would probably have gone to Fanime after the game.

I also imagine that most Fanime Attendees are not diehard Sharks fans, or at least prefer their Animu over their Hockey.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

M

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on March 06, 2012, 02:24:17 PMNot anything significant.
Even assuming a decent majority of Fanime Attendees were Sharks fans (or fans of the opposing team), most would probably watch the game from home (or hotel room) instead of actually going to the game, I would imagine. Then would probably have gone to Fanime after the game.

I also imagine that most Fanime Attendees are not diehard Sharks fans, or at least prefer their Animu over their Hockey.
I don't think it would have been significant, as well.

I had already worked it out with my staff that I'd go to the game, but I'd make it up to them somehow (food or something). XD

Glitch

In 2002, Battle Royale was a big deal at Fanime, and everybody rushed to see it at midnight(a huge line to get in). The following year and on ward, over 18 live action flicks became the norm and nothing quite like that happened again.

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Mr. Wendell on March 06, 2012, 02:05:14 PM

A chance to see the Canucks? I would have been there so hard.

ININ

Lol, how did the San Jose Sharks get into the conversation.  We don't know if they're going to the playoffs this year.

I remember Fanime '04 the arcade games were on the con floor at the Marriott side.  Fanime '05 the artist alley tables were on the con floor.

Fanime '03 was the only time we occupied the entire Santa Clara Convention Center.  I'm sure Fanime '00-Fanime'02 there were other events and we shared the convention center.  I remember one year there were high school volleyball games.  I'm not sure when Fanime occupied the entire San Jose Convention Center.  I know it wasn't Fanime '04.

Quote from: MPLe on March 01, 2012, 03:20:03 PM
The first FanimeCon was also in June. :P

Corrected, thanks.