Convention Center Construction and Goodbye Fountain

Started by mdarkpoet, March 17, 2012, 12:13:59 AM

mdarkpoet

Just thought I'd post this as a topic over here to give everyone who isn't local to San Jose a heads-up. They're doing massive construction this year at the convention center outside. This is going to severely limit the walking space outside.

Not only that but they've officially removed the fantastic fountain that once sat outside and have instead replaced it with... dirt and plants?

I mean it's not even flowers... it's just plants   :-\

Just to give a heads-up there will probably be less people congregating outside the con this year due to limited space out in front which could lead to more crowding inside. Hopefully Fanime staff will see this and make inside's walkways more directed to combat crowding issues.

Admiral Donuts

The Facebook page for teh construction says "Temporary green fill...more on this soon."

So... maybe there's something else going there?

mdarkpoet

Maybe, I'm still sad we won't have a fountain for Fanime this year.  :'(

Maskenlav

That fountain matched the theme and color scheme of that building! This flower bed sticks out like a sore thumb :C I liked how the fountain gave it that Titanic styled "Grand entrance", and this flower bed just gives it that "average out-side of a corporate office" feel
"I'll do it! I'll marry you!"

otakuya

My guess is the garden is temporary because they don't want to mess with the plumbing or something.
There may still be hope for new fountains:

or not:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

mdarkpoet

It seems they're not even fully certain what they're going to do O_o hrmm...

CountMetal

I have a bad feeling someone is going to prance around this area. Anyway I do miss the fountains. I wonder if they will put it back once the renovations are complete.

InsaneDavid

Quote from: mdarkpoet on March 19, 2012, 12:50:01 AM
It seems they're not even fully certain what they're going to do O_o hrmm...

Welcome to Silicon Valley!  ;)
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

Stormfalcon

Well, it's been less than a week since Fanime ended this year, and they've already started work inside the Convention Center itself, walling off portions of the main walkway as well as the registration area.  Photos can be found here.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

Admiral Donuts

Can't wait to see what happens... a shame it won't be ready until Fanime Con 2014.

kookiekween99

Quote from: Stormfalcon on June 02, 2012, 10:35:17 PM
Well, it's been less than a week since Fanime ended this year, and they've already started work inside the Convention Center itself, walling off portions of the main walkway as well as the registration area.  Photos can be found here.

At least they were courteous enough to wait until Fanime was over. Imagine what Thursday would have been like if staff had to account for construction as well!
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Stormfalcon

Added a couple of shots last night to my gallery linked above, one of which is a night shot showing that they fenced off Huckleberry Farm.  Could it be that its days are numbered now?

My DeviantArt Page:

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Stormfalcon on June 07, 2012, 11:27:28 AM
Added a couple of shots last night to my gallery linked above, one of which is a night shot showing that they fenced off Huckleberry Farm.  Could it be that its days are numbered now?

I'm hoping they just filled the fountains with dirt until construction is over...

Stormfalcon

Quote from: Jeimizu on June 07, 2012, 10:17:11 PM

I'm hoping they just filled the fountains with dirt until construction is over...

From the illustrations I've seen, it looks like they're planning an overhaul of the whole courtyard area. Here's the webpage on the expansion project.

My DeviantArt Page:

Admiral Donuts

Looks like we're gonna have some kind of... table and chairs thing?

sioda_mactiir

noooooooooo it was awesome the way it was. the only issue at all was that so few areas had air conditioning, and the ones that did really didn't need it.

Freud

Quote from: Stormfalcon on June 08, 2012, 01:30:07 AM

From the illustrations I've seen, it looks like they're planning an overhaul of the whole courtyard area. Here's the webpage on the expansion project.
So does that mean there will no longer be a pick up/drop off area for cars?

sioda_mactiir

Quote from: Freud on June 08, 2012, 06:05:33 PM
Quote from: Stormfalcon on June 08, 2012, 01:30:07 AM

So does that mean there will no longer be a pick up/drop off area for cars?

it's hard to tell, but it looks like it's still there, just changed and a lot smaller.