What makes Fanime different?

Started by redneckotaku, April 23, 2012, 03:02:33 PM

redneckotaku

I'm thinking about making the cross country trip for Fanime in a month. I measure a con differently as a typical fan because I've been coast to coast (over 50 different cons in nearly a decade) and it's a longer trip than any other Memorial day weekend con. This leads to my question. What makes it different from other cons (besides size)? It's always an interesting meta and helps me in deciding to try a new con out.

Yuutousei

I think the biggest difference between Fanime and most other cons is the size and location. It's about a half hour's walk from San Jose's Japantown (which is closed Mondays, other than this nice shop that sells random anime merch).

I've been to fanime more often than any other con (which is funny since I'm an East coaster) and I feel that it's a bit more... laid back?
Odd, since it's right before finals.

I think you should try it at least once. Hope that helped...?
SELLING!
Check out my current Cosplays, Panels & Plans!

Haunterluvcookies

I come from a place were cowboys never die and going back to Cali is always a relif. I think Fanime is diffrent because of the location, like someone said but I really think its the people and the atmosphere. Though its a big con with lots of people it dosen't feel over bearing, it clamer to me. Also the people you meet at this con are ten times nicer and more relaxed; defiently has a the feel of a smaller con but its not.
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

Yuutousei

Quote from: Haunterluvcookies on April 23, 2012, 04:46:24 PMAlso the people you meet at this con are ten times nicer and more relaxed; defiently has a the feel of a smaller con but its not.
I'm thinking that it's a Cali thing -- only place in the freakin' country where I'm willing to step into a Walmart because people are nice.
SELLING!
Check out my current Cosplays, Panels & Plans!

chifunii

Quote from: Yuutousei on April 23, 2012, 03:36:37 PM
and I feel that it's a bit more... laid back?

NorCAALLLLLL

I think part of it (other than geographic location), is that Fanime's by fans, for fans. Unlike other cons that run themselves like a business (not to say that's an entirely bad thing), Fanime's a like a hang out people go to once a year to meet up and have fun. Plus, the staffers listen to our suggestions and feedback, which is pretty darn cool.

Then again, it could be that it's just norcal and norcal is chill like that...

Oh, and the music guests for Fanime's MusicFest has been killer the last few years. Just sayin' 8D
FanimeCon attendee: 2008-

cutiebunny

Staff goes all out to help you.

Well, maybe not "all out", but I find staff at Fanime to be much more helpful than any other con.  Yeah, there are some that aren't, but the staff at Fanime is great.  I've yet to have a problem with Fanime staff.  I can't say the same for other West Coast cons.

Junon

It just happens to be closest to me. I've been to others, and all of them are very much the same, though Fanime has more faces I recognize over time.

PacificPikachu

Fanime has the best atmosphere of any con, in my opinion. The people there are relaxed, friendly, and upbeat, and the con really does live up to the idea of By Fans, For Fans. There are always fun and amazing events to attend that fit every taste and interest, it's not a stressful con (like a certain other con I could name), the venue is perfect for the event, and it offers a lot of unique experiences that other cons don't offer. I've been to a lot of cons, but Fanime is my favorite without a doubt. I'm constantly finding new things to love about it. I could probably write a book on why I love Fanime, LOL.

This will be my ninth year going to Fanime, and every year I feel like I've returned home.

M

Sidenote: If you find an staffer that is rude to you, please report him by talking to another staffer (who will help you escalate it). If worse comes to worse, get his badge number and report him to ConOps. :)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Rainbow Ichi

To be honest, i like the fact that the convention literally runs from Thursday night (early badge pick-up till 8pm, swap meet begins, video room fires up, arcade room becomes the mecca of gamers) and will not stop until monday 4pm.. Even if the main events finish early, people running the halls left and right in the wee hours of the morning doing their own thing like making their own mini skits for passing audiences, mini-game shows, random DS/PSP battles, people dancing, people talking and sharing stories to whoever wishes to listen.

There are even people who cosplay as their favorite characters IN PYJAMAS carrying a pillow/body pillow/plushie and still in cosplay mode. A lot of things worth experiencing, that is if you can keep awake for 4 days/nights straight (when i feel droopy i just set my alarm for the first thing I want to check out the next day and sleep, most people don't usually show up till like 10 or 11am so they can get some beauty sleep).

Aside from that, i remember the restaurants/some food spots in the area will stay up late in the morning to help provide hungry attendees (hoagy steaks anyone?, buche fries <3, cap'n crunch berry donuts from psycho donuts in the morning). And if you're still bored from ALL of that, there's STAGE ZERO, which literally has prizes offered every other hour to whomever wins their games (private tickets to Guests of Honors party anyone?) as well as entertainment.

So, pack up your stuffs (don't forget hygiene stuff please), hoard tons of beverages, sweets, chocolate and instant noodles! I'd bet you'd have a blast ^_^
"Brevity is the Soul of the Wit"
"Pen and Sword in accord"

Rainbow Ichi's DeviantART Page:
http://rainbow010101.deviantart.com

otakuforlife

Others have nailed it on the head; the vibe is just totally different at Fanime.  In 2010 I went to Fanime for the first time because some friends had raved about it and while I thought the programming didn't seem all that great to me I still had a blast all the same.  The overall vibe amongst attendees was just amazing; laid back is a good way to describe it.  What I really enjoyed the most about Fanime is the little things it does that I haven't seen or heard about at other cons...Stage Zero with something going on at all hours pretty much, random attendees in pajamas walking around late at night, the fact that it legitimately is a 24 hour con that goes from Thursday night after registration closes all the way until the end of the convention on Monday afternoon.  Plus, so many video rooms to choose from when you just want to sit and watch anime with fellow con goers; watching DBZ Abridged/AMV Hell at 2 AM with enthusiastic fellow otaku? Awesome!  I cannot wait to return this year for my second time and I anticipate Fanime becoming a yearly tradition for me :)
Fanime 2024 Cross-play plans (order subject to change)

Day 0 - No cosplay
Day 1 - Shioriko Mifune (summer uniform)
Day 2 - Rin Hoshizora (winter uniform)
Day 3 - Shiki Wakana (summer uniform)
Day 4 - Rei Ayanami (school uniform) or maid

Vasyenka

I just have to add onto this, but seriously. It's the vibe. It's just so different and more welcoming than any other con I've been to (and I've been all over the country/international, lol)!

I'll give an example: my first year at Fanime (2007) was actually a drag. The company I was with was just... urgh. It was just the crowd I was with was blah, my health wasn't that great, and I found myself easily irritable throughout the con, so far as to have a poor attitude throughout the days. During that time, I mostly kept to myself, since I didn't know anyone other than the crowd I was with (we were all from out of state, but the head two of our group formerly lived nearby and knew tons of people); simply put, I felt like a third wheel most of the time, and it was just... It was one of the worst times I've had at a convention to date.

When 2008 rolled around, one from my former group expressed that he doubted I would attend this year, given that I wasn't with that same crowd, still didn't know anyone, and had such a terrible time the year before. Well, I winded up making a good friend from that former crowd, one who wasn't a drag and we totally connected on many levels, and she invited me to room with her that year. I accepted the invitation, and realizing I would potentially wind up by myself again, I decided to reach out that year and try to meet a few people.

And meet new people I did! Even though I was by myself many a time throughout the weekend, it was never a drag. People just hanging out in the hallways, in lines, at other cosplay gatherings, they were all just so open and welcoming! Despite no one knowing me, not once was I shunned because I was the outsider that no one knew. Instead, I made tons of new friends that year, got many amazing pictures, and it was truly one of my favorite cons that year. Even briefly brushing past that former crowd I was with, it wasn't enough to bring me down from the amazing time I was having with all these new people!

To this day, Fanime is probably the only convention where I know I'll have a blast, even if I attend a cosplay gathering, panel, or event all by myself. Once more, the crowd is just so amazing. I'm so glad I winded up going that second time, as this immediately became one of my favorite anime cons - and still is~ <3
Fanimu 2022 Cosplay Lineup:
[Rutile] [Zhongli] [Sakuya Izayoi] [Tifa Lockhart] [Chain Chompette]

otakuya

I made a theory a few months ago that FanimeCon is not exactly a convention about anime, but a convention about the fans of anime. Most other conventions revolve around industry, while Fanime has always been fan based. Look at the panels and events offered: cosplay gatherings, comedy club, speed dating, maid cafe, etc., they're all catered towards the fans and having fun.