Fanime Karaoke Contest Contestant Thread

Started by SuperSheba, April 26, 2012, 11:26:50 AM

Enkai

I haven't competed in Fanime karaoke contest since 2008 for various reasons, but I'm signed up and excited to compete again this year.  And since I don't have any work deadlines looming around that time, very little can stop me (kept me from going to ALA this year, but then, that was also because of the distance; I'm so close to the con center, even if I did have to work Friday, I could still make the contest, I'd just need to be in a later group).  *knocks on wood*

I will be celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Sailor Moon with my song choices.  And neither song is Moonlight Densetsu.  I'm not saying more than that.  ;-)

marisuga

What about costumes? do those play into your scores at all?

princesskitty18

Quote from: Marisuga on May 09, 2012, 12:39:49 AM
What about costumes? do those play into your scores at all?

i dont think that its played into scores before but ask galewolf for the final say
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

SuperSheba

I don't think so either.  The winners in the past years haven't even been in costume.  This isn't to say that costumes count against you, but I sincerely doubt they affect your score.  It would give an unfair advantage to those who have the money to buy costumes or the resources/skills to sew their own. 

As for the dancing, it's completely up to you.  If you want to and it won't affect your singing (if you're not accustomed to dancing and singing at the same time, it can really mess up your breath support and make you sing less well), then I would say go ahead and do it!  Just don't stand there looking either a)bored or b)like a deer caught in the headlights.  Show your emotion and passion.  Most of all, have fun!

Nina Star 9: I hope to see you there!  If not, I plan to hang out at open mic quite a bit, so people who can't make the contest but still want to chat should try and find me there!

Sorry I haven't been very active in my own thread, guys.  I'm a student in graduate school and I am about a week away from finals.  I still have about 30 pages of research papers to write, a presentation of one of those research papers to prepare for, and an oral exam to prepare for.  The oral exam and one of those research papers are completely in French (I'm getting an MA in French language, woot!), so I will be extremely busy up until fanime.  My last test is on the 23rd of May, so if I am absent that's why.  I was absent before this for various reasons, one of which including a choir concert (we sang Borodin's Polovtsian dances, Beethoven's Choral Fantasy, and Mozart's Coronation Mass, all with full orchestra!  SOOO COOOL).

BTW, any of you guys choir nerds like me?  Let me know!

Also, I'm going to post a link to a song I recently  posted to youtube.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SKI5I2aRFw&list=UUFX0GrNLHb6w1qVE0tvThtw&index=1&feature=plcp  I realize my mixing isn't perfect by any means.  Please leave me comments on my youtube page or here! 

If you post links to anything you've sung, I would be happy to comment!
If any of you have youtube pages, feel free to post links to them!

Enkai

I'll be in costume when I perform, but that's only because I'll be in costume the entire con, and I'm not going to change out for the karaoke contest.  I did select my costume for Friday based on which costume both presents a visual image that doesn't conflict with my songs (I don't have any costumes that actually go with my songs) and doesn't inhibit my singing, but that's about as far as it gets.  It's a costume I was going to wear anyway, the karaoke contest only affected which day I'd wear it on.

I used to be a choir nerd until my lab classes kept me from being able to make choir practices; I've graduated, so no university choir now either.

SuperSheba

I'm in the choir at San Jose State University, and it's been an amazing experience.  It's too bad your lab classes prevented you from being in choir, but it's completely understandable.  At least you got to be in the university choir for part of your college career.

stormsworder

Quote from: Marisuga on May 06, 2012, 10:43:49 PM
So what are people plannin on using as their songs? Or is that a taboo thing to talk about before hand ><

I have no problems with telling what songs I'm singing too.

Last year I tried to sign up at the last minute but that went out the window cause we were short on staff at the booth I work for. Planned to sing Perseus by Yamazaru (Tegami Bachi) and Complication by Rookiez is Punk'd (Durarara!) that time. This time I thought I'd sing more recent/familiar songs instead of those.

This year: Fellows by Maasaki Endou (Carnival Phantasm) and Sousei no Aquarion by Akino (Title anime same as song :P). I wanted to sing Kimi no Shinwa ~ Aquarion Dai Ni Shou and Gekka Symphonia by Akino (yes, I like Aquarion EVOL :3) but I couldn't find a partner who could sing with me :/.
"You know the closer you get to something, The tougher it is to see it. And I'll never take it for granted. Let's Go."

-From the lyrics of "Closer" by Inoue Joe

CrunchiMochi

Quote from: stormsworder on May 09, 2012, 06:10:11 PM
So what are people plannin on using as their songs? Or is that a taboo thing to talk about before hand ><

Last year I tried to sign up at the last minute but that went out the window cause we were short on staff at the booth I work for. Planned to sing Perseus by Yamazaru (Tegami Bachi) and Complication by Rookiez is Punk'd (Durarara!) that time. This time I thought I'd sing more recent/familiar songs instead of those.

This year: Fellows by Maasaki Endou (Carnival Phantasm) and Sousei no Aquarion by Akino (Title anime same as song :P). I wanted to sing Kimi no Shinwa ~ Aquarion Dai Ni Shou and Gekka Symphonia by Akino (yes, I like Aquarion EVOL :3) but I couldn't find a partner who could sing with me :/.

What a coincidence! I'm actually going to solo Kimi no Shinwa ~ Aquarion Dai ni Shou (I've demo'd it and it sounds by myself) and The Everlasting Guilty Crown by Egoist. :) Now to cross my fingers and hope my allergies don't kill me once con rolls around. Unfortunately I haven't gotten myself to wach Aquarion yet, and it's mostly my friend nudging me with Aquarion songs hahaha. He really wants to do Gekkai Symphonia with me sometime.

Recent songs: https://www.box.com/s/a365d5390964cfb359e7 (since SME is being evil and I had to pitch edit it on my YT channel)
YT: http://www.youtube.com/user/littoaznmonkey

Nina Star 9

I'm planning on wearing a costume for the contest. It doesn't really go with any of my songs (no, really, why in the world would Major be singing jazz?), but I'm hoping that I can make both the contest and the old-school gathering (and go gets lots of pics taken, since this costume is going to light up and involves lots of very hot and sticky vinyl, so it's a nighttime costume only...and I'm hoping to get lots of pics because it might just turn out to be awesome ;) ), and I don't want to change out of costume for the contest. I think that maybe if you dressed up in a way that matched your songs, it might add some coolness factor to it, but otherwise, I don't think it matters too much.

SuperSheba> I hope to see you there, too! If I'm not in the contest, look out for me. I'll probably do open mic after the contest, so look for a Hard Disc Maj. Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell) then, but if not, I'll be doing tons of open mic on Saturday evening (hoping to do Twiggy Twiggy [Pizzicato Five] in my Ulala [Space Channel 5...what's with these fives?] cosplay, but will likely be slummin' it in lolita the rest of the evening once I get tired of wearing cosplay [and carrying around my 6' hammer for the last cosplay I'm wearing Saturday...]), probably singing really bizzare music, so if you see someone singing things seemingly out of left field, that's probably me. (I'm hoping for some JiLL-Decoy association this year [I have this really crazy, really jazzy song planned], my requisite Cibo Matto, maybe I can fit in some SEAT BELTS [I've been dying to do Cosmic Dare for a while now], if I can fit it in I'll do my usual Guitar Vader or maybe more P5 [I am always willing to sing Mon Amour Tokyo!], if I don't end up doing the contest I'll probably sing my prelims song so you might get some EGO WRAPPIN' regardless...you know, all the weird stuff that no one else sings.)

Good luck with all your papers and finals and things!

SuperSheba

Quote from: CrunchiMochi on May 09, 2012, 07:06:18 PM
Quote from: stormsworder on May 09, 2012, 06:10:11 PM

What a coincidence! I'm actually going to solo Kimi no Shinwa ~ Aquarion Dai ni Shou (I've demo'd it and it sounds by myself) and The Everlasting Guilty Crown by Egoist. :) Now to cross my fingers and hope my allergies don't kill me once con rolls around. Unfortunately I haven't gotten myself to wach Aquarion yet, and it's mostly my friend nudging me with Aquarion songs hahaha. He really wants to do Gekkai Symphonia with me sometime.

Recent songs: https://www.box.com/s/a365d5390964cfb359e7 (since SME is being evil and I had to pitch edit it on my YT channel)
YT: http://www.youtube.com/user/littoaznmonkey

You sang to the beginning!  I have a few suggestions for you.  Props for learning all the harmonies.  Try opening up more when you sing, though.  Sing from your diaphragm and not through your nose.  This will help you stay on pitch and will also strengthen your high register.  I do recognize the difficulty of this song, though, so know that I'm only giving constructive criticism.  Also, sound more passionate when singing.  Look at the lyrics to the song.  They're pretty intense!  I hope I don't come across meanly... >_<  I just have a lot to say because I adore this song.

I'm considering singing to the beginning if my allergies don't mess up my breath support and keep me from singing the chorus or the verses with power (some days allergies knock out my high range, others my lower range.  This song is tough because the verses are notes right around my break so it's haaaard.)

stormsworder

>SuperSheba: Is your advice for me, for Crunchi, or both? Either way this is nice advice. Both my songs are pretty much in the high registry (Maasaki Endou and JAM Project in particular tends to be like that, but who doesn't like singing with the thought of 「もえるぜ」). For Sousei, it's actually decent if I reduce it to a Guy's high registry instead of going falsetto XD. Any other advice is appreciated. :D
"You know the closer you get to something, The tougher it is to see it. And I'll never take it for granted. Let's Go."

stormsworder

>CrunchiMochi: Σ!(◎_◎;) is my reaction after hearing you sing the new Fate/Zero S2 intro. This would've been a dramatic starter or a epic finisher I think. But your choice is up to you. Looking forward to seeing you, SuperSheba, and all the other singers sing it out. :D

asngtrst

Hey, everybody! My name is Andrei, and I'm of mix Asian descent. I'm 19 years old and currently a student of San Jose State University, majoring in Digital Media and with a business minor. It will be my first time participating(though wait listed), but my 3rd time attending the convention. My only singing experience would be my role as vocalist and lead guitarist with my band, known as JUICEBOX. Please wait for us on KSJS radio, for we received a radio offer from them! I hope I make it in the contest, bu you'd definitely see me doing acoustikaraoke! I look forward to meeting all of you guys and watching all you talented singers! Let's make this a memorable one, as this will be my last fanime before I move to Kani-shi, Gifu, Japan to pursue my studies and a career.  Thank you all.
Huehuehuehuehue

SuperSheba

Quote from: asngtrst on May 10, 2012, 02:14:48 PM
Hey, everybody! My name is Andrei, and I'm of mix Asian descent. I'm 19 years old and currently a student of San Jose State University, majoring in Digital Media and with a business minor. It will be my first time participating(though wait listed), but my 3rd time attending the convention. My only singing experience would be my role as vocalist and lead guitarist with my band, known as JUICEBOX. Please wait for us on KSJS radio, for we received a radio offer from them! I hope I make it in the contest, bu you'd definitely see me doing acoustikaraoke! I look forward to meeting all of you guys and watching all you talented singers! Let's make this a memorable one, as this will be my last fanime before I move to Kani-shi, Gifu, Japan to pursue my studies and a career.  Thank you all.

Woot!  Fellow SJSU student!  Though I'm getting my masters in French at SJSU. I did my undergrad at UC Berkeley. 

Quote from: stormsworder on May 10, 2012, 01:22:51 PM
>SuperSheba: Is your advice for me, for Crunchi, or both? Either way this is nice advice. Both my songs are pretty much in the high registry (Maasaki Endou and JAM Project in particular tends to be like that, but who doesn't like singing with the thought of 「もえるぜ」). For Sousei, it's actually decent if I reduce it to a Guy's high registry instead of going falsetto XD. Any other advice is appreciated. :D

Sorry, I was talking to Crunchi. :D  But it's true, a lot of the advice I have her applies to singing in general and would be helpful to anyone trying to improve his or her technique. 

I can't wait to meet you all. 

stormsworder

Quote from: SuperSheba on May 10, 2012, 03:31:50 PM

Woot!  Fellow SJSU student!  Though I'm getting my masters in French at SJSU. I did my undergrad at UC Berkeley. 

Sorry, I was talking to Crunchi. :D  But it's true, a lot of the advice I have her applies to singing in general and would be helpful to anyone trying to improve his or her technique. 

Wow. So many SJSU students. ^_^ I'm also a student at SJSU. Psychology Major with Japanese minor. Looking forward to meet my fellow Spartans.

asngtrst

Quote from: stormsworder on May 11, 2012, 10:26:42 AM
Quote from: SuperSheba on May 10, 2012, 03:31:50 PM

Sorry, I was talking to Crunchi. :D  But it's true, a lot of the advice I have her applies to singing in general and would be helpful to anyone trying to improve his or her technique. 

Wow. So many SJSU students. ^_^ I'm also a student at SJSU. Psychology Major with Japanese minor. Looking forward to meet my fellow Spartans.

yes x] well, SJSU is right there xD so what are everybody's favorite artists/bands?
Huehuehuehuehue

CrunchiMochi

Quote from: stormsworder on May 10, 2012, 01:44:09 PM
>CrunchiMochi: Σ!(◎_◎;) is my reaction after hearing you sing the new Fate/Zero S2 intro. This would've been a dramatic starter or a epic finisher I think. But your choice is up to you. Looking forward to seeing you, SuperSheba, and all the other singers sing it out. :D
Thanks! I'm not actually singing it for the contest.

@SuperSheba: Yeah. I've had those problems on and off for awhile now because my head voice/upper register can be a bit weak. ^^; This time it was particularly lol since my allergies cut my high range down and part of the recording was me being a bum and just flop over on a couch singing into my computer. xD (that's what I get for not being in a good posture!) You didn't come across mean at all! Thanks for the advice.
I've chosen against doing anything kalafina since it's just missing something when you sing it as one person. I have the same problems with my allergies too. It cuts my high register and makes the transition between registers a lot more rough.

ultimatejunmaster

.......  :-[ :-[ :-[ Sigh........ Completely forgotten to sign up until today!

I got my fingers crossed! I really want to enter!
Nan-Da-Yo?!

yoshi4sushi

don't get discourage, you can still sign up at the con. even if you don't
get in the list, do the open mic. i signed up last year, but i had to bail
out cause of an emergency, so i did open mic.

Quote from: ultimatejunmaster on May 12, 2012, 06:46:30 PM
.......  :-[ :-[ :-[ Sigh........ Completely forgotten to sign up until today!

I got my fingers crossed! I really want to enter!

marisuga

Quote from: SuperSheba on May 09, 2012, 12:24:57 PM
I don't think so either.  The winners in the past years haven't even been in costume.  This isn't to say that costumes count against you, but I sincerely doubt they affect your score.  It would give an unfair advantage to those who have the money to buy costumes or the resources/skills to sew their own.  

As for the dancing, it's completely up to you.  If you want to and it won't affect your singing (if you're not accustomed to dancing and singing at the same time, it can really mess up your breath support and make you sing less well), then I would say go ahead and do it!  Just don't stand there looking either a)bored or b)like a deer caught in the headlights.  Show your emotion and passion.  Most of all, have fun!

Nina Star 9: I hope to see you there!  If not, I plan to hang out at open mic quite a bit, so people who can't make the contest but still want to chat should try and find me there!

Sorry I haven't been very active in my own thread, guys.  I'm a student in graduate school and I am about a week away from finals.  I still have about 30 pages of research papers to write, a presentation of one of those research papers to prepare for, and an oral exam to prepare for.  The oral exam and one of those research papers are completely in French (I'm getting an MA in French language, woot!), so I will be extremely busy up until fanime.  My last test is on the 23rd of May, so if I am absent that's why.  I was absent before this for various reasons, one of which including a choir concert (we sang Borodin's Polovtsian dances, Beethoven's Choral Fantasy, and Mozart's Coronation Mass, all with full orchestra!  SOOO COOOL).

BTW, any of you guys choir nerds like me?  Let me know!

Also, I'm going to post a link to a song I recently  posted to youtube.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SKI5I2aRFw&list=UUFX0GrNLHb6w1qVE0tvThtw&index=1&feature=plcp  I realize my mixing isn't perfect by any means.  Please leave me comments on my youtube page or here!  

If you post links to anything you've sung, I would be happy to comment!
If any of you have youtube pages, feel free to post links to them!

I have a few songs here: http://tindeck.com/users/marisuga
A lot of the stuff there is voice acting though... or really old haha. Anyways though, feel free to comment?