Mahjong?

Started by Akita, May 08, 2012, 05:53:40 PM

Akita

Anyone want to play?  Depending on who wants to play, I may bring my tiles (although be advised, these are Saki tiles [lol])...
I am trying to learn points and what consist of "chonbo" and "furiten" and "no Yaku".  Trying to gain a different experience than playing through tenhou

udonoodle

whhhaaa~! YES :D i got a set for my birthday...but there is never 4 people interested in playing around my house :(

Mouse

I don't know the point system at all but I LOVE playing mahjong! I would totally be down to play mahjong with you  :D
Nicole M.
FanimeCon 2012-2013 Head of Publications
FanimeCon 2011 Publications Staff

(feel free to PM me questions :D )

Akita

I guess three is ok enough to bring it to the con...
sigh more stuff for me to lug around~

udonoodle

It is heavy :(
I could bring mine...?

Don't we need four players though?

Mouse

If you're worried about the weight of the bringing your own set, you can always email Tabletop/Social Gaming (tabletopATfanime) and see if they have a mahjong set mixed in with their other games  ;D

You need 4 people to play, but in my experience once you get the 4 people together nobody wants to STOP playing....
Nicole M.
FanimeCon 2012-2013 Head of Publications
FanimeCon 2011 Publications Staff

(feel free to PM me questions :D )

JTchinoy

I'm pretty sure once you set the game up, you'll have a bunch of people interested in watching/ joining. :)

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

ININ

All of you should come to Tabletop Gaming to play Mahjong (Riichi).  A group of friends and I played last year.  A few of us have sets.  Some of us know how to score winning hands so no worries for beginners.  I'm a beginner and I just learned how to score.

Akita

no it's not heavy (lol)
I am commuting this con, so I sorta want to stay light as possible.  Regardless, I think we can get some interest in so I'll bring it
and yea, I was thinking Riichi Mahjong too.

udonoodle

Uh oh. I've only played with Chinese people...
Riichi is Japanese style right?
And I'm sort of terrible at mahjong...you aren't pros right?

Akita

if I was pro, I wouldn't be asking for help scoring -lol

we aren't putting money into this, so don't worry.

udonoodle

Hahaha I didn't mean it...completely

Could I ask you for some pointers? XD
The rules confuse me.

Akita

just post it here, we can probably figure it out...

udonoodle

:D

Dora and under-doras are the big ones...
And to ron do you always need a yaku in your hand? or is that just certain versions?

Akita

Dora and Under Dora are always the next tile
So it goes 1>9, E>S>W>N, then Haku>Hatsu>Chu (this is the one I am blurry on too)
ura Dora is only available when you put in Riichi

As for Ron, it's Yaku, but it also has to do with what you made that yaku out of.  I had a Dora 3+my Wind, and I couldn't call Ron, and it became a furiten (soo pissed off that match).

udonoodle

furiten is when you try and win with a tile that you have already discarded before right?
or is there more to it than that?

Akita

pretty much, or you are waiting for the winning tile, and you can't call it, even when the opponent drops it (due to not enough point value in the win hand you have)

udonoodle

I was just reading a article about furiten...

And I got even more confused.
It seems...complex? Like I can't just look at  my discards and make sure i'm not going to furiten that way.
...what exactly makes a furiten?

Akita

basically, the most common furiten comes from the fact that you Ron off a pai that you dropped.  Another Furiten is you didn't call Riich, and the opponent drops the pai you needed, but with that tile you can't make a yaku -meaning you must Menzenchin Tsumo it to get the yaku.  Another really bad one is once you call riichi, and the opponent drops the pai you need but dismiss it (which basically means you must draw the winning tile).

I think that's all for Furiten
ex:

you called riichi and you are waiting for either a 3 or a 6 from your 45.  However, if you dropped a 3 or a 6 previously, you are in furiten.  If you were able to call riichi, and your opponent drops either, but do not take it, it's furiten

udonoodle

Quote from: Akita on May 13, 2012, 08:18:13 PM
basically, the most common furiten comes from the fact that you Ron off a pai that you dropped.  Another Furiten is you didn't call Riich, and the opponent drops the pai you needed, but with that tile you can't make a yaku -meaning you must Menzenchin Tsumo it to get the yaku.  Another really bad one is once you call riichi, and the opponent drops the pai you need but dismiss it (which basically means you must draw the winning tile).

I think that's all for Furiten
ex:

you called riichi and you are waiting for either a 3 or a 6 from your 45.  However, if you dropped a 3 or a 6 previously, you are in furiten.  If you were able to call riichi, and your opponent drops either, but do not take it, it's furiten

Oh. Darn. :) Thanks for explaining! Doras and under-doras still confuse me...but so does the whole point system  :-[
Pai = tiles right?
Will people just be playing mahjong all the time? Or are you/someone going to set a time/date?