2014 Cosplayer Crane Ceremony ~ A Tribute To Life ~

Started by BSaphire, May 08, 2012, 07:09:45 PM

YaoiCat

I really hope this event happens for Fanime 2013. 

At the very end of 2012 I lost my grandmother, who I have lived with my whole life and been close to.  She loved origami and made countless cranes and butterflies which are all over our house.  I would love to bring a few of her cranes for this ceremony, to remember her and also thank her for introducing me to Japanese culture, which is a huge part of who I am.

maikiritori

Cosplay Gatherings Department Second 2010-2015
Cosplay Gatherings Department Staff 2009

DangerHeart

Yuu- pon

Hey Saphire, I'm sorry it's been so long. I've been very busy this year and sadly this forum had to take a back burner.

This sounds like a wonderful idea. I myself can't make a paper crane to save my life but my boyfriend can make them out of 1/12  of a starbursts wrapper. He will be at the con with me and I'm sure he'd love to help.

nooblet

I'd love to participate in this as well  :)

BSaphire

This is set for Friday evening @ 7 pm  at G6. It would be awesome if people would bring paper cranes already complete to con if possible, but we will have origami paper and staff to help for those who want to do this at Fanime in the Cosplayer Hangout.

I look forward to seeing this happen this year. If you would like to say any words at the event please send me a pm.
Peace and Love to all!
BSaphire
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

BSaphire

I have updated the first post with some important information. Please take the time to read it and spread the word about it to those who can benefit from it. Share the link on your Facebook pages if you can.

Thank you very much
BSaphire
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

BSaphire

I updated the first post a while back and I thought I would share a fond memory I had with Elizabeth here with all of you.

I met Elizabeth back in 2004. She was dressed as Vash the Stampeed from Trigun and I had a friend dressed up as Wolfwood so obviously B had to get the two of them together and take pictures. She was young, funny, and just memorable to be around so we talked on the forums and through email and got to know each other better. Next thing ya know she was part of the family, coming up to our house and hanging out, playing video games, watching movies and teaching us new ways to enjoy soft serve ice cream :P

One Christmas our banter on line became a twist on Christmas carols to our favorite anime and video games. Silver Bells became Bullet Hole and later she did a version of Donut Holes in a skit to a different melody. The best twist on a carol was the 12 Days of Christmas which became the 12 days of Anime. We had so much fun creating all these jingles that when I called out to my cosplaying friends to come join me in a Christmas walk Elizabeth was right there in the middle of it. Well two guesses what we sang... in front of the judging panel... yep 12 Days of Anime! It seemed to take all of us FOREVER to finish the song and it was freezing, but we did it and then we all went to Quiznos to eat and warm up. Elizabeth and I were the only ones who were still singing the song by the end of the performance and we could not stop laughing so at Quiznos we were laughing so hard we both were crying over the judges faces.. ( a you had to be there moment if I ever had one) and Elizabeth gave me the biggest hug and said, "Animom, this is the most fun I have had in forever! We should do this again!" We were closer than ever after that and her passing has been really hard. I have tons of stories, but I thought I'd share one with all of you.

As we get closer to FanimeCon I know that some of you will just be finding out about her passing and I encourage you to come to this event. I want show you a tribute to her as a cosplayer and maybe you too will see for just a moment what a wonderful, crazy, fun loving spirit she was. Feel free to share your memories, thoughts, or experiences here also. It isn't just about Elizabeth so if you have suffered a loss and want to share a good memory I say "It's ALL GOOD!"

Squidges
BSaphire
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Kiara

I intend to be making Cranes whenever I have free time. I still remember how long I cried when I got the phone call about Elizabeth's death. I've been looking forward to and dreading Fanime all at the same time, because I know how strong the memory of her will be this year. Being the Tony to her Loki at the Black and White ball last year and spending most of Fanime with her was the most fun I've ever had at Fanime in the five years I've been attending. (Drunken Tony and Loki Antics abound) Elizabeth really was like a shining light, she always made me smile even when I was upset, and I'm so saddened that I couldn't do the same for her. I'm really glad you're doing something like this for her.

Cosplayer/Photographer in the East Bay.

BSaphire

Quote from: Kiara on May 06, 2014, 06:43:20 PM
I intend to be making Cranes whenever I have free time. I still remember how long I cried when I got the phone call about Elizabeth's death. I've been looking forward to and dreading Fanime all at the same time, because I know how strong the memory of her will be this year. Being the Tony to her Loki at the Black and White ball last year and spending most of Fanime with her was the most fun I've ever had at Fanime in the five years I've been attending. (Drunken Tony and Loki Antics abound) Elizabeth really was like a shining light, she always made me smile even when I was upset, and I'm so saddened that I couldn't do the same for her. I'm really glad you're doing something like this for her.
Those of us who knew her and the life she brought to cosplay will be greatly feeling her absence this Fanime. I know how much I miss her still and can totally relate to feeling dread knowing she won't be there physically. She has given me purpose and inspiration for this year. That is why I am running the RE gathering and I am "Celebrating" the cosplayers with the Fanime Theme gathering being turned into the Fanime ALL COSPLAYERS gathering.
Thank you for your post. Though it brought tears to my eyes it has comfort in it too cause I know I am not alone in missing her. I look forward to seeing you there and know that we, Yes there are others too, will be bringing her there in spirit.
If you have a Face book account or some other social media please pass the word along , tag this thread, or what ever it takes to get word out about this. So many of us didn't get the chance back in August/September to say farewell so this is for all of us to remember those we have lost in a good way, as a Tribute to their Life.
Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

BSaphire

I wanted to make sure that everyone knows you don't have to be in cosplay for this. I will be cosplaying this year for this event as Grave from Gungrave in honor of Elizabeth and it is her cosplay, one that was and still is very dear to me.

Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC