What to bring to the fanime?

Started by Kpmonkeygirl, May 17, 2012, 07:05:21 PM

Kpmonkeygirl

I was wondering what is advice to bring to the fanime? I did my own research, and so far this is the list of what I am told to bring;

(I will organize it, since it annoys be to have things unorganized.)

Misc;
The typical needed stuff like clothes, toiletries, and so on,
Money for food and shopping, about 50$ at least. 50-150$.
Printouts!  Your registration, hotel confirmation, directions or plane tickets.

Heath;
Breath mints,
Deodorant,
First Aid kit,
Sunblock,
Ear-plugs,
Asprin,
Tums,
Vitamins,
Ibuprofen,

Food;
Energy bars,
LOTS of water bottles,
Instant ramen,
Forks and/or spoons,
Candy,
Something healthy,
Fruits and veggies,
Tea bags, coffee mixes and/or hot chocolate mixes,
Pop tarts, and something like the sort,
Caffine supply,

Clothes;
Bathing suit,
Costume (Optional)
Outfit for B&W Ball (Optional)
Safety pins,
Duck tape,
Supportive in-soles,
Moleskin, (Don't know what this is,)
Tide Pen,
Sewing kit,
Wig brush,
Hot glue gun,
Acrylic paint and brushes,

Capture the moment;
Camera,
Batteries,
Cellphone,
Charger,
Notebook,
Pen,
Flashlight,
Ziplock bags of many sizes,
Laptop and needed gear,
Bag to carry stuff at convention,

Self entertain

Ipod and Ipod charger
Portable gaming system and charger,

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

Anything else? I will add your answers to the list! ^.^
""To move is to stir, and to be valiant is to stand; therefore,
if tou art mov'd, thou runst away."

kookiekween99

If you bring any food that requires forks/spoons/knives to eat, remember to bring plastic cutlery.

My first year at Fanime, my group brought a case of ramen, but we somehow forgot the forks. ^^;
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: kookiekween99 on May 17, 2012, 07:10:11 PM
If you bring any food that requires forks/spoons/knives to eat, remember to bring plastic cutlery.

My first year at Fanime, my group brought a case of ramen, but we somehow forgot the forks. ^^;
Thanks! Keep the suggestions coming!

Makise09

I ALWAYS have headache medicine or some type of low dose pain killer with me.

And supportive in-soles for my shoes, reaaaally helps with all the walking.

BunofGovt

I usually carry a pen/pencil and notepad or sketchbook.  This to take notes at panels, or to doodle/keep myself occupied when waiting  in line for events or waiting for friends, etc.  Also some kind of candy or gum for a sugar burst when I've gone too long between meals.  A small flashlight, just in case.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: Makise09 on May 17, 2012, 07:42:10 PM

Thank you for your suggestion! Keep them coming! ^.^

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: BunofGovt on May 17, 2012, 08:34:58 PM
I usually carry a pen/pencil and notepad or sketchbook.  This to take notes at panels, or to doodle/keep myself occupied when waiting  in line for events or waiting for friends, etc.  Also some kind of candy or gum for a sugar burst when I've gone too long between meals.  A small flashlight, just in case.

Makise09

Quote from: Kpmonkeygirl on May 17, 2012, 09:47:51 PM

Addition from a friend, TUMS! Nothing like a little heartburn to ruin your good time.

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: Makise09 on May 17, 2012, 10:34:34 PM
Quote from: Kpmonkeygirl on May 17, 2012, 09:47:51 PM

Addition from a friend, TUMS! Nothing like a little heartburn to ruin your good time.

Thanks for your suggestion! Keep them coming! ^.^

Charis

For the "health" category: vitamins, because a lot of people aren't getting proper nutrition or proper sleep during con, and that helps stave off illness.  Moleskin is your friend if you're on your feet a lot or dealing with new shoes, too.

Printouts!  It's always good to have your registration, hotel confirmation, directions or plane tickets (if applicable) in some paper format just in case of snafus.

A Tide Pen is a good thing to carry, especially if you're a cosplayer, Just In Case of food attacks or other stains.  (Most of my rather exhaustive packing list is cosplay-oriented, but those are a few things that are more general.)
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: Charis on May 18, 2012, 08:26:19 AM
For the "health" category: vitamins, because a lot of people aren't getting proper nutrition or proper sleep during con, and that helps stave off illness.  Moleskin is your friend if you're on your feet a lot or dealing with new shoes, too.

Printouts!  It's always good to have your registration, hotel confirmation, directions or plane tickets (if applicable) in some paper format just in case of snafus.

A Tide Pen is a good thing to carry, especially if you're a cosplayer, Just In Case of food attacks or other stains.  (Most of my rather exhaustive packing list is cosplay-oriented, but those are a few things that are more general.)
Thank you! Keep them coming!

Charis

Moleskin, BTW, is a padding sold in drugstores and the like for cushioning blisters.  It's a thick adhesive-backed fabric with a short pile on one side.  Very useful for keeping your feet from being destroyed by new or uncomfortable shoes, or just to pad those areas that get a lot of wear.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: Charis on May 18, 2012, 12:23:00 PM
Moleskin, BTW, is a padding sold in drugstores and the like for cushioning blisters.  It's a thick adhesive-backed fabric with a short pile on one side.  Very useful for keeping your feet from being destroyed by new or uncomfortable shoes, or just to pad those areas that get a lot of wear.
Ah! Thanks! I need those!

BunofGovt

I tend to overdue it when I travel, but I also bring a sewing kit and plastic/ziplock bags of various sizes.  The bags are good for storing food snacks for carrying in my purse/backpack, or if I happen to buy some small items at swap meet or dealers' room.  I know there's a Walgreens a few blocks away in case there's something I forgot, they are usually closed on Memorial Day if I remember rightly.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Yuutousei

Ziplock baggie are a must and I definitely suggest bringing allergy meds (last year one of my friends found out she was allergic to something and we were running around looking for stuff for her because my meds are too strong).
SELLING!
Check out my current Cosplays, Panels & Plans!

Haunterluvcookies

If its been metioned or you could be a vampire like me but I suggest sun block. I get sun burns so easliy and I have to always have some with me. ;D ;) :P
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

Firefury Amahira

My usual packing list looks something like this:

Regular Vacation Gear
-Toiletries (toothbrush, deodorant, etc)
-Clothes
-Swimsuit/jacket/sweaters depending on weather conditions
-Ibuprofen (specifically the gel-caps, as they seem to kick in faster)
-Over-the-counter allergy pills
-Sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher. Lower than that tends not to do much for me)
-First-Aid kit (some band-aids in the purse or room, and a full first aid kit that stays in my car)
-Portable gaming system + charger
-Cell phone and charger
-Notebook
-Laptop and related gear (cooling unit, power cable, mouse...) to keep in the hotel room.
-Camera and related gear (memory cards, batteries, battery charger, lenses, computer cable or memory card reader, filters, tripod...)

The Cosplay Emergency Kit
-Hot glue gun and glue for it
-Sewing kit with needles and thread that matches the colors in the costumes being brought
-Wig brush and hair styling equipment
-Acrylic paint (colors matching whatever paints are used on the costume) and brushes
-Duct tape
-Tide or other stain removal tool

Convention-Specific gear
-Some sort of insole or cushion, especially if I'll be wearing new/uncomfortable shoes with a costume. (I've found that these "Toe-kini" things you can get at the drugstore work quite well.)
-Printouts including registration info, panel info, and if possible, the convention schedule
-Earplugs in case of loudly snoring roommate
-Stuff for the panel (in my case, banners, info packets, and presentation outlines)
-Costumes and all costume props and equipment
-Some sort of fannypack/hip pack or other small purse that keeps your hands free for other things. I generally use a fannypack instead of my regular full purse because said purse is a decent size and weight. At the convention, a lot of things normally in my purse aren't necessary, so the fannypack is sufficient to carry what I need.

Food supply and related (note that the hotel I'm staying at has a fridge in the room, which helps expand my options some)
-Lots of bottled water, preferably something like Smartwater that has electrolytes in it
-Fruits and veggies such as carrot sticks to snack on
-Non-perishable snacks
-Vitamins
-Sandwich fixings
-Electric water kettle and tea/coffee/hot chocolate
-Pop tarts or other breakfast pastries
-Rice cooker and rice
-Pre-cooked beef and chicken
-Plastic cutlery
-Caffeine supply

I really advise against surviving off little more than instant ramen the entire time. It's more likely to leave you seriously destroyed by the end of the convention, and you'll want to try and eat at least a slightly more balanced diet, even if you just bring some granola bars and take vitamins. At a convention, especially one as big as Fanime, you're doing a lot more walking around and getting more exercise than you probably get normally, you're likely to be getting less sleep to recuperate from that exercise than you need or normally get, and you're moving around through huge crowds who might be exposing you to an assortment of colds and contagious illnesses (aka "con plague") that aren't showing symptoms yet. A super cheap and unhealthy diet on top of the exhaustion is going to hurt your immune system and make it that much more likely you'll get sick sometime after the convention. (I came down with a lovely round of bronchitis after Fanime last year!)

Also, don't just survive on sodas or energy drinks. All the exercise also means you'll be more dehydrated, so it's especially important that you drink a lot of water too. Water, fruit juices; basically drinks that don't have caffeine in them, because caffeine will exacerbate the problem. Not saying you have to go off your coffee or soda or energy shots entirely, just don't drink them exclusively.
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

echoshadow

bring Money. You forgot that one. That's kind of important.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Firefury Amahira

Quote from: echoshadow on May 19, 2012, 03:31:43 PM
bring Money. You forgot that one. That's kind of important.
Well, yes, but that generally ought to go without saying.  :P
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

cutiebunny

A plan.

Sounds stupid, but once the schedule comes out, you should really spend a few quality minutes deciding what events, if any, you want to attend.  You can't do everything at the convention - there's no way you'd have enough time and energy for that.  So prioritize what you want most from the convention.  Leave enough time for you to attend the events, including taking into account lines, getting a bite to eat and things of that nature.  Try not to deviate from your plan much, and, as always, make sure you get a good night's sleep every day.  You want to make sure you're alert for the events that you want to attend.