What to bring to the fanime?

Started by Kpmonkeygirl, May 17, 2012, 07:05:21 PM

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: BunofGovt on May 19, 2012, 12:08:41 AM
I tend to overdue it when I travel, but I also bring a sewing kit and plastic/ziplock bags of various sizes.  The bags are good for storing food snacks for carrying in my purse/backpack, or if I happen to buy some small items at swap meet or dealers' room.  I know there's a Walgreens a few blocks away in case there's something I forgot, they are usually closed on Memorial Day if I remember rightly.
That is a good idea! Thanks for the suggestion! Keep them coming!
""To move is to stir, and to be valiant is to stand; therefore,
if tou art mov'd, thou runst away."

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: Yuutousei on May 19, 2012, 12:30:55 AM
Ziplock baggie are a must and I definitely suggest bringing allergy meds (last year one of my friends found out she was allergic to something and we were running around looking for stuff for her because my meds are too strong).
I hope she was okay! :(
Thanks for the suggestion! Keep them coming!

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: Haunterluvcookies on May 19, 2012, 02:42:29 AM
If its been metioned or you could be a vampire like me but I suggest sun block. I get sun burns so easliy and I have to always have some with me. ;D ;) :P
That is a good idea! Don't want any tears from a burn!

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: Firefury Amahira on May 19, 2012, 03:20:12 PM
My usual packing list looks something like this:

Regular Vacation Gear
-Toiletries (toothbrush, deodorant, etc)
-Clothes
-Swimsuit/jacket/sweaters depending on weather conditions
-Ibuprofen (specifically the gel-caps, as they seem to kick in faster)
-Over-the-counter allergy pills
-Sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher. Lower than that tends not to do much for me)
-First-Aid kit (some band-aids in the purse or room, and a full first aid kit that stays in my car)
-Portable gaming system + charger
-Cell phone and charger
-Notebook
-Laptop and related gear (cooling unit, power cable, mouse...) to keep in the hotel room.
-Camera and related gear (memory cards, batteries, battery charger, lenses, computer cable or memory card reader, filters, tripod...)

The Cosplay Emergency Kit
-Hot glue gun and glue for it
-Sewing kit with needles and thread that matches the colors in the costumes being brought
-Wig brush and hair styling equipment
-Acrylic paint (colors matching whatever paints are used on the costume) and brushes
-Duct tape
-Tide or other stain removal tool

Convention-Specific gear
-Some sort of insole or cushion, especially if I'll be wearing new/uncomfortable shoes with a costume. (I've found that these "Toe-kini" things you can get at the drugstore work quite well.)
-Printouts including registration info, panel info, and if possible, the convention schedule
-Earplugs in case of loudly snoring roommate
-Stuff for the panel (in my case, banners, info packets, and presentation outlines)
-Costumes and all costume props and equipment
-Some sort of fannypack/hip pack or other small purse that keeps your hands free for other things. I generally use a fannypack instead of my regular full purse because said purse is a decent size and weight. At the convention, a lot of things normally in my purse aren't necessary, so the fannypack is sufficient to carry what I need.

Food supply and related (note that the hotel I'm staying at has a fridge in the room, which helps expand my options some)
-Lots of bottled water, preferably something like Smartwater that has electrolytes in it
-Fruits and veggies such as carrot sticks to snack on
-Non-perishable snacks
-Vitamins
-Sandwich fixings
-Electric water kettle and tea/coffee/hot chocolate
-Pop tarts or other breakfast pastries
-Rice cooker and rice
-Pre-cooked beef and chicken
-Plastic cutlery
-Caffeine supply

I really advise against surviving off little more than instant ramen the entire time. It's more likely to leave you seriously destroyed by the end of the convention, and you'll want to try and eat at least a slightly more balanced diet, even if you just bring some granola bars and take vitamins. At a convention, especially one as big as Fanime, you're doing a lot more walking around and getting more exercise than you probably get normally, you're likely to be getting less sleep to recuperate from that exercise than you need or normally get, and you're moving around through huge crowds who might be exposing you to an assortment of colds and contagious illnesses (aka "con plague") that aren't showing symptoms yet. A super cheap and unhealthy diet on top of the exhaustion is going to hurt your immune system and make it that much more likely you'll get sick sometime after the convention. (I came down with a lovely round of bronchitis after Fanime last year!)

Also, don't just survive on sodas or energy drinks. All the exercise also means you'll be more dehydrated, so it's especially important that you drink a lot of water too. Water, fruit juices; basically drinks that don't have caffeine in them, because caffeine will exacerbate the problem. Not saying you have to go off your coffee or soda or energy shots entirely, just don't drink them exclusively.

That's a nice big list! O.O

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: echoshadow on May 19, 2012, 03:31:43 PM
bring Money. You forgot that one. That's kind of important.
I already put that in the list before you suggested it. But thanks! Keep em coming!

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: cutiebunny on May 19, 2012, 11:39:00 PM
A plan.

Sounds stupid, but once the schedule comes out, you should really spend a few quality minutes deciding what events, if any, you want to attend.  You can't do everything at the convention - there's no way you'd have enough time and energy for that.  So prioritize what you want most from the convention.  Leave enough time for you to attend the events, including taking into account lines, getting a bite to eat and things of that nature.  Try not to deviate from your plan much, and, as always, make sure you get a good night's sleep every day.  You want to make sure you're alert for the events that you want to attend.
No, does not sound stupid! ^.^ Makes sense!

cutiebunny

If you're planning on going to any of the concerts, bring some earplugs.  It does get very loud in there.

CatToy

UPS or a generator. Maybe both.

TupacTheRobot

Pack half of what you think you need and TWICE I said TWICE as much money

c2chaos

In my left brain, there's nothing right & in my right brain, there's nothing left.

Mouse

Random suggestions:
- Pack an extra cellphone charger.
- Excedrin, since it packs much-needed caffeine in with the aspirin & tylenol. Also great if you have friends who get migraines.
- Allergy meds/Benadryl
- If you don't pack a mini first aid kit, at least pack a box of band-aids and carry some in you bag with you around the convention center. Your blistered feet will thank you.
- Hand-written mini contact list, just in case your cellphone dies.
- Sunblock
- Comfy shoes
- Extra socks
- 2 extra days worth of regular clothing. It sounds silly, but with how much you run around at con and how hot it can get, being able to swap your clothes more often helps with the funk.
- Water bottles and/or a water filter with a reusable water bottle.
- Emergency cash. It's specifically for emergencies, not back up for when you want to get that extra commission in Artists Alley or buy one more figure in Dealer's Hall :P
- Granola bars & fruit snacks! They're small enough to fit a couple in the bag you carry with you around con, and with how much walking you do you're going to need those on-the-go calories.

In other news, I have officially turned into my mother. Whee!!!  ;D
Nicole M.
FanimeCon 2012-2013 Head of Publications
FanimeCon 2011 Publications Staff

(feel free to PM me questions :D )

keitoghostie

i generally commute to fanime so i'll bring a day bag with me and my ABSOLUTE ESSENTIALS LIST is

water bottle(s)
i usually have about 2 per day just in case!
if you can, freeze them beforehand so you have nice cold water all day (make sure to take a little off the top before sticking it in the freezer so it doesn't explode)
snacks - especially if you're planning on waiting in a line, snacks are great, i would totally recommend having a couple of those 100 calorie packs in your bag (also it's sometimes hard to stick to a consistent meal schedule so emergency snacks are great)
painkillers - MAKE SURE YOU EAT A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT BEFORE TAKING THEM, I AM SERIOUS IT HAPPENED TO ME LAST FANIME AND IT WAS UNPLEASANT
money in cash form - there are a lot of vendors who do take credit/debit now but sometimes there's an extra charge for that AND it's not always available (same with restaurants), plus having the cash in my hand allows me to keep track of my purchases better
extra pins, fashion tape, etc - cosplay emergencies totally happen, and if it's not you, it might be one of your friends
an app like juicedefender to conserve your phone's battery life
if you're not staying at or near where the convention is held, having your charger might not be useful depending on the facility
if possible, bring an extra precharged battery for your phone in case your battery runs out
a plan!
the amount of preplanning you do is up to you (i have friends that completely wing it and friends that plan every minute of the convention) but a good idea is to have a few things scheduled that are of interest (panels, gatherings, shows, etc) so you end up experiencing everything you want to experience
having a map of the area is a good idea if you're unfamiliar with the city where it's being held, especially since food is usually significantly cheaper outside the convention center (sometimes local businesses will even give a discount to patrons with convention badges)

otakuya

Sporty clothes and shoes.
I especially like sport-ish clothes that wick away moisture and sweat, because you WILL sweat a bit during the con. Things like Nike Dri-Fit and Adidas Climacool works. You don't need to be in cosplay 24/7.

Saki Usagishi

These are just some of my suggestions, and sorry if I repost some that have been already said. Just means that they are that important ^^

Always check the weather before Fanime. One year it did sprinkle here in SJ. So bring maybe a mini umbrella.

If your costume or cosplay requires make up make sure you brig your pallet of it. Also bring a compact mirror and printed picture of the cosplay. ( I meet a Azure Kite cosplayer who didn't have his make up to do the markings and forgot how to draw them)

Always bring back up shoes!!! There will always be times you will want to switch shoes, especially girls wearing heels. It's a lot of walking and if you go dancing you want comfortable appropriate dancing shoes.

If your staying in a hotel bring a lock for your suitcase. You will definitely want to lock up the valuables you aren't able to carry to the convention.

I usually bring my own pillow and blanket when I stay at hotels. It's just for comfort because sometimes the pillows in the hotels aren't the best. Also if you plan on having extra people in the room tell them to bring pillows an blankets in case all the roll away beds are taken.

Last but not least is DO YOUR RESEARCH! There is all kinds of things to do at Fanime. It runs 24hrs throughout the weekend. It's best to know all the locations of where you want to go, or need to be. Some locations have changed in recent years due to our conventions construction. So always look on the site,fb,twitter, or whatever for updates. Also look into coupons, eateries, drug stores, and things you might magically need during the weekend. :D

chifunii

Quote from: cutiebunny on May 19, 2012, 11:39:00 PM
A plan.

Sounds stupid, but once the schedule comes out, you should really spend a few quality minutes deciding what events, if any, you want to attend.  You can't do everything at the convention - there's no way you'd have enough time and energy for that.  So prioritize what you want most from the convention.  Leave enough time for you to attend the events, including taking into account lines, getting a bite to eat and things of that nature.  Try not to deviate from your plan much, and, as always, make sure you get a good night's sleep every day.  You want to make sure you're alert for the events that you want to attend.

I really have to second this. While things can change timing-wise at-con, it's good to get the events you really want to attend prioritized. Don't wanna miss something really cool because you didn't know when it was!!
FanimeCon attendee: 2008-

royjovero

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but if you plan on going to Safeway or any other shop to buy food, bring some tote bags, or be prepared to pay 10 cents per bag.

Lucifargundam

From what I remember, the hotels aren't going to provide microwaves....

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

EJAY420

Dudes, for the love of everything that is holy, bring some deodorant.
Most Impressive.

somegirlkatie

Quote from: EJAY420 on January 30, 2013, 01:22:57 AM
Dudes, for the love of everything that is holy, bring some fkn deodorant.

I wish I could upvote this a bazillion times.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: somegirlkatie on January 30, 2013, 02:00:23 PM
Quote from: EJAY420 on January 30, 2013, 01:22:57 AM
Dudes, for the love of everything that is holy, bring some fkn deodorant.

I wish I could upvote this a bazillion times.
Especially with the elevators being so packed...

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.