The You-Fic.net College of Fanfiction Writing -Feedback plz!

Started by Firefury Amahira, May 19, 2012, 02:02:31 PM

Firefury Amahira

My sister One and I are coming back, and this year we have timeslots for our panels (we've got three of them this year!) that aren't at dark o'thirty in the morning! :D Taking into consideration what we learned from running the workshop at Fanime last year, we've changed things up a bit and added some new material. Also, we've split the material from last year into two separate panels, and One will be running an all-new third panel for the grown-ups.

Fanfiction 101: Story Building - Friday, May 25th at 9pm in Panels 1
The crash-course in How To Write Fanfic. This panel covers the basics of creative writing for fanfiction: how to develop a story idea, how to build up a world the story is set in, various narrative perspectives, ways to avoid or overcome writers' block, advice for specific types of scenes such as action or (non-sexual) romance, a discussion of the unique challenges of crossover or alternate-universe fanfiction, and recommendations for publishing your work online. The panel format is partly lecture, and partly back-and-forth discussion with the audience. Feel free to bring samples of your work, ideas, or just questions you want to ask. The panel is more fun for everybody when it's more than just One and I talking at everyone the entire time! :)

Fanfiction 201: Characters - Saturday, May 26th at 12pm in Panels 2
This one deals with more advanced issues regarding characters in fanfiction. The panel will cover subjects such as writing and developing canon characters further, creating and developing new original characters, cooking up villains or antagonists, and how to avoid cliches or creating "Mary Sue" type characters. As with the 101 panel, bring your ideas and questions; if past experience is any indication, the material about characters is where a lot of people have questions!

Fanfiction 369: Visualizing Sex 18+ ONLY - Sunday night/Monday morning May 28th at 1am in Panels 3
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

We'll also be providing an updated version of the "Fanfiction Writers' Quick Reference Guide" we handed out at our panel last year that includes expanded information about Mary Sue characters as well as new sections with information for crossover and alternate-universe story writing.

If anyone has some requests or questions about the panels, now would be a good time to ask 'em! ;)
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

Firefury Amahira

So, con has come and gone, and we think that all three fanfic workshops were a success (though we were kinda surprised to find Fanfic 369 was put in the big room!)

But then, we were the panelists and we might have the rose-colored glasses on without realizing it. If you were there, some feedback would be most awesome! We're also looking for suggestions for the writing guides we give out at the panels; I know my sis wants to add some stuff about keeping canon characters in-character.

Thanks again to everybody that came; you guys were a great crowd this year!
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

BenihimeSama

I did not get to attend your panels due to the fact that I was Panels staff and we were working all weekend long. But I did score a packet and I loved it! I had your packet from last year, and the expanded packet was definately a bonus! Thank you for taking the time to print out packets, it's great!
Venus Benihime-Sama
Panelist Since 2008
Panels Staff Member since 2010
Proud member of Rena's Rangers! 

Owner of The Geeky Manifestos Blog
Just admit it: Otakus just do it better.