"No Video" rule at Cosfest

Started by dburr, May 30, 2012, 01:44:30 PM

dburr

While waiting in line to get into CosFest, staff were walking up and down the line shouting that (paraphrasing, I don't recall the exact words) "no flash photography is allowed, and neither is videography."  The no-flash photography part I completely understand, but this is the first time in the over 10+ years I've been attending conventions where a "no video" rule was enforced.  I'm just curious as to why.  Also when we did get in, the emcee repeated the "No flash photography" rule however he made no mention of the "no videography" part.  *confused*
Otaku no Podcast, your source for news, reviews and commentary on all things anime and manga

weirderraindrop

I thought it was odd that you couldn't text, but you could film and take photos without flash (at least our rover said you could)? Usually the display at the back is brighter than a cell phone on low brightness.

M

There seems to be some miscommunication that we'll be working to fix (not any single person's/department's fault).

Flash *anything* is not allowed.
Video recording is allowed without the use of a tripod (or any similar device). This rule does not apply to Press members in the Press box.

The reason why we're getting more strict is because we're getting a lot of overwhelming negative feedback from members that are telling us that someone in front of them used a tripod that blocked their view. I, myself, have personally walked around and noticed that the number of tripods blocking views are increasing in scary numbers.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

dburr

Quote from: MPLe on May 31, 2012, 05:51:27 PM
There seems to be some miscommunication that we'll be working to fix (not any single person's/department's fault).

Flash *anything* is not allowed.
Video recording is allowed without the use of a tripod (or any similar device). This rule does not apply to Press members in the Press box.

The reason why we're getting more strict is because we're getting a lot of overwhelming negative feedback from members that are telling us that someone in front of them used a tripod that blocked their view. I, myself, have personally walked around and noticed that the number of tripods blocking views are increasing in scary numbers.

Ah, I figured it was something like (spoken in cheesy Southern accent) a failuh to communicate.  I completely understand (and agree with) a "no tripod" rule, and I can't think of any con that doesn't enforce one.  Using a tripod is pretty much impossible in the general audience area, and IMHO anyone who tries is deluding him/herself.  Plus there are safety issues, etc. involved (blocking aisles, tripping hazard, etc.)

Thanks for clearing that up!
Otaku no Podcast, your source for news, reviews and commentary on all things anime and manga