Cosplay photo safari idea

Started by Kite, May 30, 2012, 10:56:10 PM

Kite

Kind of an interesting idea I had with a few people.

Essentially it works like pokemon snap but with cosplayers as there will be multiple categories to compete in for the type of pictures that we can get as a competition between photographers.

But also with this we can compile a massive album for everyone to see as there are times people aren't able to get the pictures that we want.

So what do people think?

Darkstride

Are you saying people compete to take the best picture of certain characters?
Beep zoop deet

My costumes for 2013
Mecha Lincoln and Quote [cave story guy]

FANIME 2012 Pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4133348450008.2172368.1172432936&type=1

Kite

Quote from: Darkstride on May 31, 2012, 12:09:55 AM
Are you saying people compete to take the best picture of certain characters?

Not exactly as it's kind of yes and kind of no.

So in a way it's kind of like taking a rare picture like that Zaku running around at the con, a pack of Naruto's running around, or characters from varying cartoon network shows you weren't expecting on seeing.

I'm not entirely sure how to explain this as it's just an idea right now. So in a way it would not only be the best picture of a certain character, but also the most interesting one of it.

For example, there could be a picture of Naruto which is pretty good but then there could be a picture of a group of Naruto using their kage bushin together which makes it more interesting. Did this make any more sense?

Darkstride

Yeah, I gotcha.
I think it sounds ready cool, just organizing it wool take some cranking.
Beep zoop deet

My costumes for 2013

FANIME 2012 Pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4133348450008.2172368.1172432936&type=1

Dawnshadow

YES! This sounds super fun. :D
Cosplays:
Lucario- a few fixes are required (80%)
Itachi- 60% *needs new cloak and wig*
Mystery Pokemon (it's a surprise and I want it debuted here)- 5% or so
Masked Marth- 0% (I doubt I'll get this one done as it has least priority over my money)

Admiral Donuts

Kind of like a scavenger hunt, but with a camera, or like bingo, I guess? Judging photos on an individual basis would take a long time, I recommend just doing a checklist and  letting people go for that.

BunofGovt

The bingo idea (like a scavenger hunt) sounds interesting.  Rather than just a checklist, make up different bingo cards with various anime characters and have people take what pictures they can.  Whoever either fills their card or gets more rows filled (hmmm, maybe fills the most spaces on the card) gets a prize or recognition or ...  As long as we're not all looking for exactly the same characters, we can get a variety of pictures.  Is that how the scavenger hunt was done?
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Haunterluvcookies

sounds kind of fun! I love taking pictures. So this would be happening next year I would assume?
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

Kite

Quote from: BunofGovt on June 04, 2012, 09:38:40 PM
The bingo idea (like a scavenger hunt) sounds interesting.  Rather than just a checklist, make up different bingo cards with various anime characters and have people take what pictures they can.  Whoever either fills their card or gets more rows filled (hmmm, maybe fills the most spaces on the card) gets a prize or recognition or ...  As long as we're not all looking for exactly the same characters, we can get a variety of pictures.  Is that how the scavenger hunt was done?

This idea sounds pretty close to what I've been thinking, but it requires more tuning.

But generally speaking this would be more or less the idea of how I can see the game being played.

But then I question is the winner determined by who completes their card the fastest or who takes the more interesting picture?

Darkstride

Well, what if we did it a bit like Pokemon Snap, where the final pictures are shown, people choose one to put up from a character to see if theirs is the best.
Beep zoop deet

My costumes for 2013

FANIME 2012 Pictures:

BunofGovt

Would this require that everyone taking part use a digital camera?  Or if someone only had a fun-camera (one time use) they could go to Walgreens or CVS and get their pictures copied to a cd.  Maybe have a deadline for submissions and then 'you' could load all the pictures on to your laptop and sort them by character.  Then maybe at Stage Zero on Sunday afternoon or Monday sometime, have everyone vote for the pic they like best (either best representation/interpretation or most interesting pose or something) by a show of hands.  So you might have everyone work from a list of random characters, and include things like "long blue haired male in uniform" or "plaid school uniformed character"?
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Kite

Quote from: Darkstride on June 16, 2012, 02:16:49 PM
Well, what if we did it a bit like Pokemon Snap, where the final pictures are shown, people choose one to put up from a character to see if theirs is the best.

Actually this idea seems more practical if I stick to the original pokemon snap idea. But to refine it a bit and avoid a mass flood of pictures of the same category, perhaps I should put a cap limit of how this game is played.

Well first off I'd estimate at least 8 to 10 different categories to which people can only compete in one category with a submission of one their pictures per a category. In addition to this, we can only accept a certain amount of people per a category in order to reduce work load and possible arguments amongst judges/audiences for better pics.

Going with BunofGovt idea, there should be a submissions deadline with a certain defined window of time so everything can be done at one time as judging can proceed and awards can be given out soon after.

But then this props five questions, should judging be done by a handful of judges or the audience? What categories should be done which seems more generalized and non-specific to a single anime/manga/game? What should the cap limit be for participants? Should prizes be given as a 1st, 2nd, 3rd basis or naming one winner overall? Finally if the picture of the person taken should get something as well?

Admiral Donuts

Having an audience judge might take a long time, especially since you have no idea how many people will be making submissions.

Either way, you should contact staff and see if there's space/time available for a judging/prize awarding.

Kite

Quote from: Jeimizu on June 18, 2012, 08:14:10 AM
Having an audience judge might take a long time, especially since you have no idea how many people will be making submissions.

Either way, you should contact staff and see if there's space/time available for a judging/prize awarding.

True, but since we're about a year off I don't think there is a need to rush.

idontknow

Sounds like a fun idea, but you also have to take into consideration the possibilities of cheating such as a group of friends just making cosplays of whatever is on the checklist. Although, almost impossible, it's still probable hahah.

There's also the possibility that no one cosplays as whatever is on the checklist, although I think that'd be near to impossible to. Maybe, to make it a little easier, it should be staff/volunteers cosplaying, but they'd have something that no other cosplayer would have (wrong color costume, crazy hair, crossplaying?) Like something totally random. That way, the judging might be easier to since all they have to do is recognize the person that is cosplaying.