Gothic Fairy Tale theme, what do you think?

Started by Maskenlav, May 31, 2012, 10:50:49 PM

Maskenlav

I think that is a major plus for next year fanime and a step away from the average and typical sports or heroic themes. So with that being said do you guys think that theme would ACTUALLY help ante-up the stakes and make next year totally non stop kick ass? I mean I saw alot of formal looking cosplays so with Clockwork Alchemy being here and lots of formal types of cosplays do you think it's going to RAISE everybody's expectations ten fold or place all cards down and step away from the table? I personally think it will help ALOT since there will be Gothic spin offs to many original costumes! :D
"I'll do it! I'll marry you!"

Miyu_Mya

I'm for it. My friend Geli is planning on a Gothic mad hatter tea party.
"Nothing beautiful lasts forever."

Junon

I think its a tired, boring and unoriginal idea. It's an anime convention, I would expect anime themes, not lowering the bar to satisfy a pop-culture fashion statement.

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: Junon on June 01, 2012, 01:24:18 PM
I think its a tired, boring and unoriginal idea. It's an anime convention, I would expect anime themes, not lowering the bar to satisfy a pop-culture fashion statement.

Agreed

Just seems like fanimecon is becoming a subculture con instead of a animecon.

Gigantor

Just chiming in, but is that the official theme for next year? I couldn't make it to the Closing Ceremonies.

M

Quote from: Junon on June 01, 2012, 01:24:18 PMI think its a tired, boring and unoriginal idea. It's an anime convention, I would expect anime themes, not lowering the bar to satisfy a pop-culture fashion statement.
=(
I don't believe that we're lowering the bar - We pick our themes to be fun while capturing the spirit of FanimeCon.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Gigantor

Quote from: MPLe on June 01, 2012, 01:58:05 PM
Quote from: Junon on June 01, 2012, 01:24:18 PMI think its a tired, boring and unoriginal idea. It's an anime convention, I would expect anime themes, not lowering the bar to satisfy a pop-culture fashion statement.
=(
I don't believe that we're lowering the bar - We pick our themes to be fun while capturing the spirit of FanimeCon.

I actually really like this idea. I mean. When I first read it I thought of all the original costumes I could make for the cast of FairyTail. I'm excited. There is so much possibility for this. (Just to be clear - It is Gothic Fairy Tale Theme?)

Alix777

I absolutely love this theme for next year and I'm very excited to see how it turns out.

Miyu_Mya

I really like the idea. I have always been a fan of Grimm's fairy tales. There was always darkness in truth. 
"Nothing beautiful lasts forever."

Pounce!

I've always believed a con theme lives and dies by the amount of awareness and participation going on. 

"Why do you have a giant tennis ball?"
"...Uh, do you know what the theme is this year?"
"Really...?"

Getting some of the 20,000+ in on any type of theme challenge makes it a success in my book.

kookiekween99

I have no idea how to dress up for this. Could someone list off some examples?
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Gigantor

Just some general thoughts for the idea focusing primarily on Gothic: Trinity Blood, Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, Hellsing, Castlevania, Black Butler, Alice In Wonderland (Alice in the Country of Hearts). Btw, I'm not being very particular on "gothic" here Haha.

spycker

people who dislike this idea should be slapped, HELLO LOLITA anyone? stupid people

Xanreo

Do the themes really play a part besides being featured on the Fanimecon images?

There were no sports activities or events this year.
I really do want to add a gothic twist to my upcoming cosplay but 'no one' participates and 1 out of 50 people are aware that Fanime actually has a theme.

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

Maskenlav

well I'm hoping that people DO take note of this theme because sports is kind of overrated in anime so having something like romantic Gothic Fairytale will spice things up and make everyone spice up their cosplays as well. Can you image? a Gothic Mario and Luigi next year? I'm sure someone's bound to do that!
"I'll do it! I'll marry you!"

Junon

=(

What is the spirit of FanimeCon?

I don't know if there's any fun to be found in grim and stoic at an anime convention, but hey, you guys run the show. I just pay to stand in line for 6 hours. Lol.

Gigantor

Quote from: Junon on June 01, 2012, 08:17:30 PM
=(

I don't know if there's any fun to be found in grim and stoic at an anime convention, but hey, you guys run the show. I just pay to stand in line for 6 hours. Lol.

Everyone has their own tastes, personally I like this one, but there is always fun to be found. I mean. Certain panels run every year and they sometimes have nothing to do with the theme, neither do the GoH, neither does the AA, neither does the Dealers Hall, and neither do a lot of things. In eight years of attendance here I think I have rarely ever gone out of my way to match a theme.

I am curious though because I want to know what you think a good anime theme would be in your opinion?

SweetNiar

Really? You've never seen gothic styles in anime?  And i would think you'd want something somewhat popular, that most people like, so you have a lot of people wanting to be apart of and dress up as the theme.  Besides you can make something original out of an unoriginal idea.

Junon

Quote from: Gigantor on June 01, 2012, 08:48:05 PM
=(

Everyone has their own tastes, personally I like this one, but there is always fun to be found. I mean. Certain panels run every year and they sometimes have nothing to do with the theme, neither do the GoH, neither does the AA, neither does the Dealers Hall, and neither do a lot of things. In eight years of attendance here I think I have rarely ever gone out of my way to match a theme.

I am curious though because I want to know what you think a good anime theme would be in your opinion?

Just off the top of my head, I'd say a throwback to 80's style anime (all genres). I think it would be interesting to see today's younger anime fans work with this kind of official theme. Not only would this be closer to what I believe Fanime has been about (at least intended to start with), but may serve as an educational experience for the new age anime fans. It could also be a bridge for both old and young anime fans to share a common theme together--something they can all get into, rather than the alternative which I believe would be limited to a small niche.

Quote from: SweetNiar on June 01, 2012, 09:24:21 PM

Really? You've never seen gothic styles in anime?  And i would think you'd want something somewhat popular, that most people like, so you have a lot of people wanting to be apart of and dress up as the theme.  Besides you can make something original out of an unoriginal idea.

It's not about anime using gothic styles, it's about shoehorning in a non-anime theme into an anime convention.

Only my assumption, but I'm willing to believe this will only inspire people to slap together any dark clothing with a few accents, cake on a lot of make-up and call it a costume--also known as the same effort many already put into themselves before heading out to any random rock show. In fact I'll probably lose count on the all the stereotypical gothic, emo and low budget The Crows that'll bump into me due to the different perspectives on what gothic fairytales may mean to the individual.

The whole theme I find boring because it's not only overcooked in pop culture--it in itself isn't anime, but I believe it doesn't give a lot of motivation to create original works as far as anime cosplay goes.

Gigantor

Quote from: Junon on June 01, 2012, 10:30:04 PM
Quote from: Gigantor on June 01, 2012, 08:48:05 PM
=(

Just off the top of my head, I'd say a throwback to 80's style anime (all genres). I think it would be interesting to see today's younger anime fans work with this kind of official theme. Not only would this be closer to what I believe Fanime has been about (at least intended to start with), but may serve as an educational experience for the new age anime fans. It could also be a bridge for both old and young anime fans to share a common theme together--something they can all get into, rather than the alternative which I believe would be limited to a small niche.

I could agree with that being a pretty awesome theme! It would always be nice to have a little bit of a throwback to some older anime from my childhood. They do have the old style anime video room which I love and it would be nice if one year we could have just a big trip down memory lane. I think it would be a lot of fun. I would kind of like a "mech" year sometime simply because those are my favorite types of anime and manga.

Just to chime real quick in, I am actually really interested in making some original cosplays this year based on the theme.

I think there is a fair bit of interest overall in this theme and I really do think that with a lot of direction some amazing events can be planned for this year! I have hope!

I do think a return to some old school anime or focus on a specific genre, or etc, would be totally amazing too. Just my thought!