Rude photo takers.

Started by Freud, June 11, 2012, 05:25:46 PM

Lucifargundam

I guess it's a good thing I'm single this year- I'll have more time to volunteer...

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Aelia

Quote from: Lucifargundam on January 22, 2013, 09:29:08 PM
I guess it's a good thing I'm single this year- I'll have more time to volunteer...
Rovers is Recruiting ;)

I know I am absolutely biased, but I think it's the best department if you like seeing the con while working.
Director of Operations

djmonolith

Perhaps there is an "art" to taking photos.  Cosplayers are there to show off their hard work and creativity and to be seen.  Photographers are there to help!  There is a social aspect to cons that is pretty awesome.  As long as there is respect and a basic understanding of basic social rules... it should be a brilliant collaboration!

I bring my camera and I am so totally blown away by the amazing creativity and work that I get caught up in wanting to capture it.  I also post my photos on flickr and love it when people find their photos and comment.  Photos are just a part of why I go, but it is a part for sure!

I don't know... it seems pretty simple to me...
This is my signature.

Aelia

Quote from: djmonolith on January 22, 2013, 10:06:17 PM
Perhaps there is an "art" to taking photos.  Cosplayers are there to show off their hard work and creativity and to be seen.  Photographers are there to help!  There is a social aspect to cons that is pretty awesome.  As long as there is respect and a basic understanding of basic social rules... it should be a brilliant collaboration!

I bring my camera and I am so totally blown away by the amazing creativity and work that I get caught up in wanting to capture it.  I also post my photos on flickr and love it when people find their photos and comment.  Photos are just a part of why I go, but it is a part for sure!

I don't know... it seems pretty simple to me...

Theoretically it should be, and a lot of the time it is. I've seen some amazing cosplays captured in awesome photos that can only happen when different sorts of artists work together.

And then there are the people who ruin it for others, and every time it happens I want to scream "THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!"
Director of Operations

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: Aelia on January 22, 2013, 08:50:30 PM
Quote from: Lucifargundam on January 22, 2013, 08:38:32 PM
Maybe enforce a "don't stop in the middle of teh walkway" rule?

As far as being rejected for a picture, nothing can be done about that.
We do ask people to keep main walkways clear, but we can't be everywhere at once.

Sounds like they do it when you guys are not around :(

It is going to be interesting since the cosways are going to be smaller with the renovations etc....ugh ClusterF*cks

Lucifargundam

perhaps put masking tape along the sides of the walkway just like where the tables are by stage zero? (i think I got the ref. points right)

Aelia

Don't worry guys, we've got some plans in the works to deal with all that. :)
Director of Operations

Lucifargundam

Quote from: Aelia on January 22, 2013, 11:04:58 PM
I don't mind making a run to the dollar store for supplies before I come to teh con on thursday >.> I gotta buy emergency rations anyway

Aelia

Quote from: Lucifargundam on January 22, 2013, 11:09:05 PM
Quote from: Aelia on January 22, 2013, 11:04:58 PM
I don't mind making a run to the dollar store for supplies before I come to teh con on thursday >.> I gotta buy emergency rations anyway
Ahahaha. No, we have to use special (and fairly expensive) tape on convention center property. Facilities Staff are the only ones who can do it.

We really do have plans. ;)
Director of Operations

renzokuken004

Honestly, I could totally understand why a photographer would be offended if you refused to let them take a photo of you. Anyone who goes to cons in cosplay should go into in expecting to be stopped for photos. However, it doesn't justify being offensive and profane. As far as creepers go, I saw a photographer at AX last year running around and sneaking up-the-skirt photos of cosplayers as they were posing for other photographers and not paying attention. Will I get kicked out of Fanime if I see someone doing that and kick them in the balls? Just wondering. :P

last year my friend and i had to go to the office where we checked for where we were in the massquerade. before going there a photographer approached us and we said "not at the moment, can you hold up?". so we walked to  the office and he followed us and waited outside. it was funny and weird but i thought it was polite.  :)

MaigoLily

I thought this was a little weird, but not exactly rude. The guy asked my group of friends for a picture so we gathered around and posed. Then without taking a picture, he runs off to take a picture of someone else. I don't remember what the costume was, but it was pretty cool. I understand you don't want to miss getting a picture of someone's really nice costume, but we were kind of shocked that he up and left without taking a picture that would have taken seconds. I mean that's what he gathered us for...

Nomoto

I may have been a photographer that many of you may have encountered last year cause it was my first year at fanime and I wanted nothing but to remember every moment of it by spamming a camera, but I really do want to say that the cosplays did look amazing and I was only sad when my camera died or ran out of space... ^^"
I hope this year will be all right for everyone cosplaying!