Fullmetal Alchemist

Started by recomet15, May 09, 2004, 01:44:51 PM

recomet15

The other night, I was watching Revolution on the International Channel, when all of a sudden a song started up that I actually recoginzed. It was Kesenai Tsumi by Kitade Nana, who by the way is really cute, and I remembered randomly downloading that song off the internet sometimes back. I also remembered that it was the ending for Fullmetal Alchemist. I then remembered that I had heard good things about that anime.

And so here I am now, with a simple question (or two, I guess): Has anyone out there seen Fullmetal Alchemist? Is it any good?
For the love of... I forgot to put the "d" in "redcomet15"... - redcomet15

Chloe

I have!  Well, some of it. Fullmetal Alchemist is pretty good in my opinion.  Nice art, story is so-so, and they even made an RPG for this anime.

Check out the story and all here:

http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1265,mybywf,fullmetal_alche.html
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

recomet15

I checked out that site. FMA, from the sound of it, looks pretty interesting. (Talking suit of armor? Alchemy? Metal limbs? Craziness!) Thanks for the info and the link to the site; they have a bunch of links for fansubs, so now I'm all set.

Chloe

Glad I was able to help. .^-^. Well, be sure to use www.AnimeNfo.com when searching up for a new anime.  It has really introduced to me various popular anime say Chrono Crusade and Avenger!  2 also good series!
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

recomet15

Funny you should mention Chrono Crusade... I just saw an ad for vol. 1 of the graphic novels in Newtype recently, and I thought it looked pretty cool. My friend was of the opposite mindset, however, cuz the whole nun with guns thing really turns him off and he's tired of the Japanese pooping all over Christianity in their cartoons. Is Chrono Crusade like that; that is, did the authors/directors just take the Christian religion and make up a whole bunch of stuff to go with it, or did they take the time to do some research? ...cuz you know, it'd pretty cool to see the Pope goin' around exorcisn' demons with a couple of Tommy guns (to some extent, anyway ^_^;; ).

platinum edge

Chrno Crusade isn't that bad, however, from what I have watched, it seemed as if it didn't do that much research on Christianity.  Had some references to the Virgin Mary, but for the most part, centered around a nun and her demon partner going off to destroy other demons while searching for the nun's brother.

Although Chrno Crusade doesn't do that much research on Christianity, it is a fun one to watch.  Done by Gonzo, the same people who did Vandread, Last Exile, Gad Guard, ect...I don't know what you think of the Gonzo studio or their reputation, but I think they did a pretty good job on this Chrno Crusade (however, I'd advise you to stay away from their latest project, GANTZ, I think they messed up big-time with that).
Always chase after your dreams, and never forget why you are pursuing them.

recomet15

Gonzo's good in my book. Chrono Crusade sounds pretty cool, so I'll probably check it out (and I'll take your advice and avoid GANTZ). Thanks for your opinions!

platinum edge

Well, I heard that the manga of GANTZ is really good, however, the way GONZO does it, they censor and omit quit a bit of what is in the manga to be able to animate it and put it on TV.  Unfortunately, it seems as if GONZO's magic touch missed on this one (saw the first episode, was absolutely horrible in my opinion).

recomet15

I checked out GANTZ on animenewsnetwork.com, and from what I read, although it was censored for TV it will be released uncut on DVD. Now I find that my interest is piqued and I might just be watching the first episode somewhere later down the road... or maybe I'll go to sleep tonight and completely forget about it. *shrugs*

recomet15

Well ain't that soemthing... as soon as I start expressing interest in Full Metal Alchemist, Funimation goes and licenses it for domestic realese. This only further proves the fact that the world revolves around me!... kidding, kidding.

platinum edge

Don't worry.  If you find me at Fanime, I'd be happy to show you some eps of Full Metal Alchemist.  I'll probably bring my laptop along and some of my fansubbed anime.  You'll probably spot me as Ranma and possibly as Squall (assuming that I can finish the !&^% gunblade).

ced1106

If you live locally, the Foothill Anime club is showing FMA.

Personally, I didn't particularly like it. The plots are the usual "company man who bends the law to help the unfortunate". The main characters also yammer about the law of "fair trade" (you cannot change the amount of matter from one state to the next) while ignoring the laws of entropy.

I've only seen the first few "standalone" episodes. I don't know if FMA has an obligatory anime storyarc, which could be great, given the story's premise (the search to restore their human bodies and find their lost mother).

If you can find or borrow it, great. If not, no big loss.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

platinum edge

Well, Full Metal Alchemist does start off like other standard animes, however, it takes a little while for it to really get rolling.  It's hard to accurately describe what happens without ruining the story.  However, I can say that it becomes quite complex and has themes that make you think, if you pay close attention to what's going on.  That's my opinion about it, but hey, Full Metal Alchemist may not be the anime that everyone likes.

recomet15

QuoteDon't worry.  If you find me at Fanime, I'd be happy to show you some eps of Full Metal Alchemist.

All right, cool. I'll be keeping an eye out for you (assuming that you'll be there Saturday)! Oh, and good luck with the gun blade!

QuoteIf you live locally, the Foothill Anime club is showing FMA.

Is that so? Where's the Foothill Anime club? ...Is Foothill the name of the city?

GokuMew2

Quote from: "recomet15"And so here I am now, with a simple question (or two, I guess): Has anyone out there seen Fullmetal Alchemist? Is it any good?
Yes and YES.
Just got licensed by FUNimation (bleh!), btw. Should be airing on Cartoon Network in October of this year.

Greed is a pimp and I luv him. That is all.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

recomet15

Quote from: "GokuMew2"
Quote from: "recomet15"And so here I am now, with a simple question (or two, I guess): Has anyone out there seen Fullmetal Alchemist? Is it any good?
Yes and YES.
Just got licensed by FUNimation (bleh!), btw. Should be airing on Cartoon Network in October of this year.

Greed is a pimp and I luv him. That is all.

Yeah, I just read about that. Hmm, Funimation... I don't know; they'll probably do a good job. At least it wasn't someone like 4Kid's Entertainment! Still, I'm a little disheartened that it's coming to Cartoon Network. I would have bought the DVDs as soon as they came out, but now I won't have much of a reason to, seeing as how I'll be able to watch the show on TV (albeit somewhat edited). The same applies to Gundam SEED. ...ah well. Just means more free anime for me. But in any case, thanks for the heads up!

... Greed's a pimp?! Well, that explains everything!! *sniff* But now... it's too late!

platinum edge

Well, if it's going to be on cartoon network, they'll need to do a lot of editing.  If you've watched quite a bit of it, you'll know that rivers and streams of blood will flow freely at certain points in the anime.  I'll also have to see how they deal with the scenes dealing with Ed losing his arm and leg, then using his blood to draw the transmuatation circles to call back his brother...

Hopefully they'll do a good job with the dubs...as well as putting it on late nite...

Ceirnian

At first FMA is abit slow.. but i've enjoyed It alot. Up to episode 31 now, It's quickly becoming one of my favorites. Just my few dollars on the subject.
Also known as 'Ced'

The way it is

digitalimp

With it's recent licensing does anyone know if the PS2 game will be coming out in America?
Shake it like a polaroid picture.

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: "digitalimp"With it's recent licensing does anyone know if the PS2 game will be coming out in America?

yes it will be coming out cause it was announced at E3. Square and Funimation are partners in this.  :D
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC