Attendance Count

Started by OGIGA, July 06, 2012, 04:04:29 PM

OGIGA

I have been wondering how many people go to Fanime (and how many registrations). I think somebody said that the number doesn't get released until the following year's Fanime, but I still don't know how many attendees or registrations there were for 2011. Does the public get to know or is this insider-information?

ewu

We usually do not release numbers for the convention. There are too many ways to interpret those numbers, so we generally do not release them. Some issues - Do we count the people that paid for one day memberships for both Friday and Saturday as one person or two? Are guests, staff, volunteers, professionals, etc included in that number?

In the end, we don't want to give the wrong impression about how big or small the convention is. What numbers you see out there are often estimates or pulled from a source not intended for publication.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Admiral Donuts

...so why not say it's between X and Y?

I did find a source via Wikipedia, a memo from Team San Jose puts attendance for Fanime Conference 2011 at 19,250.

Maskenlav

I think they dont want to until they get close to AX's range so then they can feel good about the turnout lol
"I'll do it! I'll marry you!"

OGIGA

Seems like everything is a secret.

M

Quote from: Jeimizu on July 07, 2012, 01:56:38 PM

I did find a source via Wikipedia, a memo from Team San Jose puts attendance for Fanime Conference 2011 at 19,250.
Team San Jose's numbers were just a guesstimate. They have the actual numbers for this year.

Quote from: Maskenlav on July 07, 2012, 10:39:18 PM
I think they dont want to until they get close to AX's range so then they can feel good about the turnout lol
We know where we are in regards to Anime Expo's numbers (i.e. not close), but we're not trying to beat them or anything. We are FanimeCon and they are Anime Expo (just like <event X> is <event X> and we are FanimeCon =P)

Quote from: OGIGA on July 08, 2012, 02:45:12 PMSeems like everything is a secret.
Numbers are normally posted on our website. There might even be a press release with FanimeCon 2012's number. :)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

LordKefka

I'd rather not have F-Con explode like AX. AX does it's own thing. The feelings different there vs. here. And that's a good thing.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

OGIGA

Quote from: MPLe on July 11, 2012, 04:53:38 AM
Quote from: Jeimizu on July 07, 2012, 01:56:38 PM

Team San Jose's numbers were just a guesstimate. They have the actual numbers for this year.
Oh good, glad I see some number. Most people just want a ball-park estimate, ya know?

hikanteki

Quote from: ewu on July 06, 2012, 06:09:58 PM
We usually do not release numbers for the convention. There are too many ways to interpret those numbers, so we generally do not release them. Some issues - Do we count the people that paid for one day memberships for both Friday and Saturday as one person or two? Are guests, staff, volunteers, professionals, etc included in that number?

In the end, we don't want to give the wrong impression about how big or small the convention is. What numbers you see out there are often estimates or pulled from a source not intended for publication.

I would think it would make sense to count each person as once (not multiple times for multiple days.)  You could include staff/volunteers etc or say "X paid attendees/X attendees including volunteers, etc."

No numbers gives more of a wrong impression than a well-determined estimate, in my opinion.