Calling out AnimefanJJ as a scamer, be warned.

Started by echoshadow, August 02, 2012, 06:47:45 AM

echoshadow

Back in March 31, '12 AnimefanJJ (James) offered to commission my cosplay. It was going to be a simple male school uniform from Blood-C. I wanted to use some one local-ish and to help out another cosplayer,  rather than buying it on ebay, or some other part half way around the world.
I bought a black shirt, red tie and shipped it off to him to start on it. I even meet up with him to take some measurements (a 5 hour drive) and paid him $40 for the commission and supplies.

He told me he would be able to finish it in time for Fanime which was about 1 1/2 months away. I was bit worried that it may not be done in time, but even if it wasn't done by Fanime I would at lest be able to ware it for Anime Expo the next month.

3 weeks before Fanime he said it was done, but rather than drive all the way back, I sent him an empty shipping box with return lable. Everything was ready for him all he had to do was just drop it off at any UPS location.

on May 4th James send me an email saying its ready but if he needs $40 for the ride to Fanime. I told him sorry, I don't need anything else done to the shirt. He then said it should be out by the 10th.

I didn't receive anything that week, so I emailed him letting him know what happened. James told me his dad fell and could ship it out. Ok no biggie, we made plans that we will meet up during Fanime and he would give it to me there. It kind of sucked since I paid for the shipping but oh wells so I though..

On May 24th I got this email "meet up with me at Dealer's Hall Friday. I don't have my own phone so, having your number won't help."
Ok....so no time set to meet up and no cell? how could that be possible? I never saw him at Fanime nor did I get my cosplay shirt.
I was a bit mad he didn't have a clue to borrow a friend's cell or use a payphone.

On May 29th he wrote: "I looked for you too, I even found someone that knew you, but I didn't catch you in time. Sorry for not giving you a time to meet me at. My fault, sorry. I will ship out your shirt."
At this point I said well at lest I'll use it for Anime Expo. So I though....

By June 7th I haven't received anything. I emailed him letting him know whats the hold up.
On June 13th he wrote: "I will be shipping it out on Friday the only day I am free. Sorry it is taking so long for me to give you the shirt."
June 21: "I am sorry for the long wait, things just keep happening. I know your angry and frustration ok. I am sending out tomorrow, since it is the only day I am free."

After a month of waiting and 3 day before AX I was a bit mad I told him to give me my stuff or give me my money back.

June 29 the day before Anime Expo he wrote: "Look I been busy with watching my nephews until they got a day care. I don' want you mad at me please understand that I am not trying to hold your shirt ok. I will do both, I will send out the shirt and pay you back once I get paid after July 9th. Please I don't want you to not mean these things, I tried hard and I know all I have given you is excuses. I will get the shirt too you. I am really sorry for this happening. Please I don't want you just bloeing me off and losing trust in me, please I don't want that ok."

I haven't heard anything since then till I told him I was going to leave this post and contact the mods about this. Only then has he wrote back.

On July 24th he wrote: "you really need to work with me on this. I already said sorry and agree to ship off the shirt and reimburse you. I am sorry for what has happen, but it wasn't in my control. I really want you to understand that."

I have offered him 2 choices back in June after AX, either pay me back what I spent $80($40 for the shirt and tie + $40 for the commission)
Or send me the finished shirt.
To this date I have nothing.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Amanojaku

Wow, how hard is it to mail a damn shirt?  You provided everything he needed and he still can't pull it off.
FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

otakuapprentice

It is understandable that things may come up unexpectedly and cause some sort of delay, but 3 1/2 months?

Just send him the damn shirt already.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

echoshadow

I know huh? Taking care if kids and what not is hard to do but he could had a friend, or a family member to help him ship the shirt out when they go or come back from work.

Even UPS or the mail man could come to his house pick it up for him. He doesn't even have to take one step out of his door.

Even if he lost the prepaid return shipping label, shipping is not that expensive either. UPS charged me about $12 and it got there with in 2 days. If you want to go cheaper Priority Mail package is $5-8. So it not like shipping prices are holding him back.

All I know is that he is having fun planing another Hetaila gathering while making his own cosplays with the money he got from me. Sure sounds fair to me huh?

LordKefka

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

echoshadow

sysadmin

Hello,

I am giving him a right of reply for 48 hours.

If this is not resolved to my satisfaction, I will do what I can within my remit.

echoshadow

Thanks for all your help.
I got a pm from him yesterday:
"well I am just just trying to apologise and try to make things better."

I really am sick and tired of hearing that over and over. Its seems that is the only thing he knows how to say.

If it was me on the other end I would borrow money from my friends or family to take care if this and forget all of this asap. I'll rather be in debit with friends/family than to own a stranger.

Amanojaku

I bet he doesn't even have the shirt.  Probably never started it.  I can see no other possible scenario beyond his complete neglect of what you comissioned him to do as a reason for a delay this long.
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -

echoshadow

He has the shirt, I seen it when I went to get some mesuerments taken.

He even told me he had it with him at Fanime. But by this point it all could have been all a lie.

echoshadow

Quote from: sysadmin on August 06, 2012, 11:31:16 AM
Hello,

I am giving him a right of reply for 48 hours.

If this is not resolved to my satisfaction, I will do what I can within my remit.

Did he say anything to you?
I haven't heard nothing since 8/6/12

echoshadow

echoshadow

Monthly update: zero/nothing same goes for any type of contact.
I guess he doesn't post under his name so he may have made a new account.

Amanojaku

He made some topic about a Zelda gathering last month.  I made a comment in the topic but of course, he had nothing to say.
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -

echoshadow

Thank you for doing that. It also lets him know that other people are reading.
And if he should ever goes to his meet ups, everyone would know he is not to be trusted with money.

sysadmin

I have banned him from the forums.
This is the maximum that I can do within my remit.

I have updated his profile to refer to this thread.

I reserve the right to remove the ban if things are resolved to my satisfaction.  However, I do not find this likely.

echoshadow

Mid November update: nothing, zero
Seems like even being banned didn't make him want to clear things up.
Sure seems unlikly anything will be settled.