Question about Prop Weapons

Started by BonjourHoney, August 06, 2012, 07:41:07 PM

BonjourHoney

Hullo ! Just a quick question. After scrutinizing the prop rules on the '12 site, I was wondering if, when a weapon is peace bonded, it is still allowed to be 'brandished' for photos, etc ? The rules did mention no waving things around (which totally makes sense xD), but does posing with a prop weapon fall into that category ?

Specifically I'm looking to have a prop rapier-type sword in a scabbard, and yes, walking around it will be sheathed, but for photos, is it allowed to be taken out or does it have to remain stowed away at all times whilst at the con ?

Thanks for the help. :) Never carried a prop before at con so I want to be clear.
2015 Cosplays:
Libra - Fire Emblem: Awakening
Arno Dorian (default) - Assassin's Creed: Unity
------
http://spazzy-azi.tumblr.com

Admiral Donuts

If the sword's an actual sword, it'll be bonded into the scabbard so you can't take it out. The main peacebonding thread is the place to ask.

echoshadow

from my understanding actual metal swords are not allowed, but the do sell them at the deals hall but those are not allowed to be used as cosplay props. Unless its made from something other than metal that won't take an edge.

Well BonjourHoney, if you use common logic you'll be fine. Of course your not going to be swing a prop around in the middle of a crowd.
If you want some action-y shots with a sword or what not you can do what everyone does go out side where there is plenty of room, or find a spot where there is no foot traffic.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Charis

I've usually seen swords peace-bonded into scabbards, but I didn't actually go to peacebonding last year (never had my prop sword inside the con centre) so I couldn't tell you if anything's changed recently.  However, in my past experience posing for a photo has not been treated as brandishing.  In 2010 Peacebonding had clippers as well and cut my zip ties for me before a gathering so that I could pose with sword drawn for that.

Not an absolute by any means, but hopefully that helps you.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

BonjourHoney

Hmm alrighty, thanks for the feedback. Definitely understood that metal wasnt allowed (my prop would be of wood/PVC) so I'm mot worried about that. Just was afraid I wouldn't be allowed to take the prop out at all. :)
2015 Cosplays:
Libra - Fire Emblem: Awakening
Arno Dorian (default) - Assassin's Creed: Unity
------
http://spazzy-azi.tumblr.com

Firefury Amahira

Quote from: BonjourHoney on August 07, 2012, 02:37:13 PM
Hmm alrighty, thanks for the feedback. Definitely understood that metal wasnt allowed (my prop would be of wood/PVC) so I'm mot worried about that. Just was afraid I wouldn't be allowed to take the prop out at all. :)
Not sure how it translates to Fanime, but a few years back (... okay, honestly, it was like 10 years ago now, holy crap-!) at Anime Expo I had a pair of katanas I made for a costume out of balsa wood. The only problem I had then was that apparently they looked convincing enough at photographic distance that I constantly had con security guys coming up to me asking why I hadn't gotten them peacebonded/why the hell was I brandishing live steel. Didn't take more than a moment looking at one of them up close to realize they were wooden fakes (and if that wasn't enough, handing one over so they could feel how absurdly lightweight they were did the trick. If you tried to hit somebody with one, it'd do more damage to the 'blade' than to whoever you hit!)

Really, it does mostly come down to common sense. It's generally pretty obvious when you're posing with a 'weapon' drawn for photos, and when you're actually menacing somebody with a weapon. I can't speak for the Fanime staff obviously, but I would imagine as long as you aren't swinging it around in a crowd or being otherwise irresponsible with it that they'll figure out it's only a prop being used in photo posing.
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?