Has Hilton changed their policy?

Started by Touya no Miko, October 22, 2012, 03:21:12 PM

Touya no Miko

For the past 2 years, my friends and I have stayed at the Marriott hotel. A year before that we stayed at the Hilton and loved it, but due to some circumstances we couldn't stay at the hotel anymore(Apparently, the air vents weren't cleaned out very well and it was causing problems for my friend who has respiratory problems). So we're willing to give Hilton another shot, because Marriot is getting too expensive and they don't provide as much amenities compared to Hilton. However, my concern is whether anything about the Hilton has changed?

I remember at check-in they didn't charge us a deposit. They just held onto my card number, then when it was time to check out I paid the full amount in cash. When I was at Marriot it was different. Not only did I pay a deposit, but they also had me pay in full at check-in. For anyone who frequently stays at Hilton, especially ones who booked this year, can you tell me if their policies have stayed the same? Because I'm not sure if all hotels are doing the same thing marriot is.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

kookiekween99

As far as I know, all the hotels have a policy similar to that. Also, trying to pay in cash is kind of a nightmare because of the way they handle deposits. -_-;
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

echoshadow

A simple thing you can do is call.

For the most part all the Marriotts that I went to all charged me at check out.

That being said that is the first time I head the Marriott do that.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Touya no Miko

Quote from: echoshadow on October 23, 2012, 06:39:11 PM
A simple thing you can do is call.

For the most part all the Marriotts that I went to all charged me at check out.

That being said that is the first time I head the Marriott do that.

I've been to two marriots and had the same experience. And it was always full pay at check-in.

echoshadow

By any chance did you pay in cash? That could be the reason.
All my stays I paid with a credit card.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Touya no Miko

Quote from: echoshadow on October 26, 2012, 08:56:59 PM
By any chance did you pay in cash? That could be the reason.
All my stays I paid with a credit card.

The first time I checked in with Marriot I did use my card. They charged me the full amount as well as the deposit.

M

Quote from: Touya no Miko on October 27, 2012, 10:35:40 PM
The first time I checked in with Marriot I did use my card. They charged me the full amount as well as the deposit.
It doesn't say what kind of card you were using.

If you put a Credit Card on file when you are checking in, they will only put a hold for some amount (I think it's 'one nights stay'). This might appear on your online credit statement as a pending charge (depending on how your bank's website is).

If you put a Debt Card on file when you are checking in, it is also a hold but due to the way that checking/saving accounts work, this usually ends up being more of a purchase (i.e. those funds are locked down).
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

otakuya

Debit cards are not the way to go, because any 'hold' on it will count as a charge. It will stay that way until you check-out, and then it will take several business days before you get the difference back.

If you use a credit card for a hotel room, most likely they will hold either the total amount of stay or one night's worth, plus whatever the hotel's policy of 'deposit'. It's for security hold purposes, and to make sure you can pay for anything else related to the room on top of the rate, such as room service, pay-per-views, or damages. Credit cards have pending charges that release as soon as you check-out and only be charged the appropriate amount.

Cash is really only effective for 'chipping-in' for the room and not to pay for the stay itself. Chances are you need a valid credit card with an ID (names have to match) on check in and many hotels now (at least, the ones I work for) do not accept cash at all. Some also do not accept pre-paid gift cards like American Express cards from Safeway.