Live streaming

Started by otakuya, January 16, 2013, 02:01:33 PM

M

Quote from: Dracil on February 11, 2013, 12:22:39 AMLast time I remembered people tried to live stream something the union people got wind of it and demanded $3000 to hire a union worker to... stand around and do nothing? Though that was at the Civic Auditorium so YMMV.
The price changes depending on what is needed from the union workers, but "stand around and do nothing" is pretty inaccurate. "$3000 to do nothing" would stop anyone from streaming, though. :P
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Dracil

Well they were obviously not needed as the attendees already had everything set up and were already streaming, with permission from the artist.  Whatever the official job function was, they really would just be standing there and doing nothing. :P

M

Quote from: Dracil on February 11, 2013, 01:24:55 PMWell they were obviously not needed as the attendees already had everything set up and were already streaming, with permission from the artist.  Whatever the official job function was, they really would just be standing there and doing nothing. :P
I don't know the full details of the story - I was just saying what I've been told (and from past experiences). Keep in mind that although the artist(s) might give permission, but this doesn't mean that there aren't other things that need to be approved.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

EliteCosplay

Quote from: Mizuki on February 07, 2013, 09:04:02 PM
Okay, streaming "expert" here...

It can be possible using a mobile wi-fi hotspot (using like a Verizon one, very very pricey, wish I could get my own for personal use) but you would have to consider that other people will be using Verizon service there for example, so it will be bogged down, just like sysadmin said.

Because Fanime is like a HUGE event, and San Jose is a huge hotspot of technology, you might be able to pull out a smooth 360p 30 fps stream, just because of the huge volume of people who will be using the service. If you have your own service-provided mobile hotspot I guess more power to you... There is no way you can get a 1080p stream on a mobile hotspot when it is in a huge area of people concentrated on that cell connection.

If I am misunderstanding, that's cool, but I guess its just a heads up on anyone else wanting to do streaming at fanime.

This! We were going to stream at a different con (with our own Verizon hotspot) but the Internet was really bogged down and streaming at 1080p on 4g was a no go. We could have payed a couple grand for some badass streaming equipment but it just wasn't worth it :P Hopefully in the next coming years mobile streaming will become cheaper/easier.

Makoto

How about the nico stream? I remember there was one in the Dealer's Hall, I think. I don't remember which year it was either.

otakuya

@the gaming department: For the gaming streams on Twitch last year, what program(s) did you use for the stream program and what was your source for internet at the gaming room?

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: Otakuya on February 27, 2013, 07:51:43 PM
@the gaming department: For the gaming streams on Twitch last year, what program(s) did you use for the stream program and what was your source for internet at the gaming room?

Not speaking for egaming, but from my own personal experience streaming on twitch.tv.

The common applications used for streaming is Xsplit (paid) or OBS (free) both for windows. You can record the sessions and upload them at a later time. The nice part about twitch is you can have your stream uploaded directly to youtube.

For more information about streaming on twitch, please check out the following link:

http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/topics/301257-getting-started/articles

Lucifargundam

the streaming idea is a recurrring and somewhat-popular idea, however would cost the con a mentionable amount of money... if someone would be able to do so under their own service provider, this would probably be the beginning of a new idea- however, streaming footage of gaming/con-activity is still far from possible at its current state.

If someone could come up with an idea as to how to stream without depending on con-funds, this would likely be a very possible implementation with-so.... at least I would think so.  Xplay(last I checkd they're outtie3000), would have been on this if this were a streaming possibility- but fanimecon is still a low-key con that doesnt present any real advertisment as compared to Comicon....  So unless someone could figure out some mystical solution as to how to solve this financial/obstacle problem- that'd be great.....

Hosting tournaments or at least live feeds would be nice... but would have to monitored by the staff(of course...)...

I think it is well within the possiblity that someday the con will be able to reach out to others who could not attend the con in person- but in the meantime we will have to do with what we got.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to accomplish this dream, swing this by me as a fellow attendee via pm and let's talk:::

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.