Live streaming

Started by otakuya, January 16, 2013, 02:01:33 PM

otakuya

I'm wondering if there is going to be a live streaming channel for Fanime events, like Stage Zero, game tournaments, and cosplay spectacular? It'll be cool for those that can't make it to the con. Probably through Twitch and Justin

Lucifargundam

Like the idea, but I think people would put too much attention torwards being on cam...

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

spycker

I might do a live stream of Fanime.... :o

Aoiro

Only if they pay for the internet connection for the convention... which is a couple thousand dollars.
FanimeCon 2013 cosplays

Briefers Rock from "Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt"
Chie Satonaka from "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4"
Hikaru Usada/Rabi~en~Rose from "Di Gi Charat"
Eruka Frog from "Soul Eater"

echoshadow

Maybe its just me, but streaming live events like stage zero, cosplay spectaculer,etc kind of defeates the point of going to fanime.

Why would some one watch that for free when I took time off and payed for my bagde, room, and other travel expenses.

Now I have no problem if the videos where shown after the event or Fanime. That would be nice to see a recap of things.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

M

I wish we could do live streaming, but it would cost too much to be worth it (balancing events+new events vs streaming). It's always an interesting thing to get a price check and then realize that there is a lot more potential in using those funds to create/improve new events (Fanimaid Cafe, Black & White Ball, etc.).

Quote from: echoshadow on January 17, 2013, 06:14:55 PM
Maybe its just me, but streaming live events like stage zero, cosplay spectaculer,etc kind of defeates the point of going to fanime.

Why would some one watch that for free when I took time off and payed for my bagde, room, and other travel expenses.

Now I have no problem if the videos where shown after the event or Fanime. That would be nice to see a recap of things.
I think it mainly fits into these three categories:
1) Those that couldn't attend FanimeCon.
2) When the event becomes too packed.
3) When people would prefer to watch the event from their computers on the concourse, in their hotel room, wherever else they may have internet.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

spycker

Ill stream Fanime 2013. I have a huge internet cap and that shouldnt be the problem, going to be at full 1080p for those who support it.
Ill post the link to my live stream channel soon

otakuya

I saw that some gaming tournaments and regular casual gaming were streaming live on Twitch last year too. like: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGCWo08Hlkk

spycker

codemaster

Might not be a bad idea for the staff to contact Justin.TV/Twitch.TV about that since they're located just up in San Francisco. Would be pretty cool! I know PAX does a lot of streaming of certain events and concerts now, even.
I like programming and making stuff.

djmonolith

Streaming video of the concourse would be awesome.
This is my signature.

Hachimitsu

Quote from: spycker on January 19, 2013, 11:29:16 PM
I will be streaming Fanime 2013 HERE http://www.ustream.tv/channel/animeconventionslive

yeah..about that...
I heard that some of the rovers complained to the guests that most of the wifi spots are not for the guests! and ask NOT TO log in to the network!

if you want to go for a free wifi, they continued saying Gaming room!

when we enter in gaming room, the wifi was NOT there or it was trouble to get a signal!...

has any of you had a problem with rovers complaining to you about the usage of internets? (this was back in 2010 when swapmeet had a big line)

Lucifargundam

I never heard of such a thing... I didn't think the rooms had wifi but I knew the hallway did. Everyone uses teh hallway wifi... kinda need to since phone service is nil.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

djmonolith

I had spotty service in the dealer room and artist alley.  Big Wow was the same.  It is always weird to me when any place in San Jose has bad cell service. 
This is my signature.

spycker

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on February 01, 2013, 08:10:56 PM
yeah..about that...
I heard that some of the rovers complained to the guests that most of the wifi spots are not for the guests! and ask NOT TO log in to the network!

I keep mentioning that im going to use my own internet...........my own internet service provider.....i get free wifi at 4g speed...

sysadmin

This is a challenge in any location with tens of thousands of people in one spot.

For attendees using some of the public internet available on the concourse, this will be shared with everyone on the concourse with a wifi smartphone.
For attendees using hotel internet, this will be shared among all the hotel visitors.
For attendees using internet through their mobile phone provider, this is shared among everyone with that carrier.
That kind of internet can get sluggish during peak periods.

On top of that, a few people think that using public/hotel/mobile internet is the best time to torrent the latest episode of whatever, and bandwidth gets even more contentious.

As MPLe states, it would be nice to stream things, but the only proper way to do that is with a separate dedicated connection, which is not cheap.

spycker

I should have it covered. althought ill be doing some more stress testing soon.

Mizuki

Okay, streaming "expert" here...

It can be possible using a mobile wi-fi hotspot (using like a Verizon one, very very pricey, wish I could get my own for personal use) but you would have to consider that other people will be using Verizon service there for example, so it will be bogged down, just like sysadmin said.

Because Fanime is like a HUGE event, and San Jose is a huge hotspot of technology, you might be able to pull out a smooth 360p 30 fps stream, just because of the huge volume of people who will be using the service. If you have your own service-provided mobile hotspot I guess more power to you... There is no way you can get a 1080p stream on a mobile hotspot when it is in a huge area of people concentrated on that cell connection.

If I am misunderstanding, that's cool, but I guess its just a heads up on anyone else wanting to do streaming at fanime.

M

Quote from: djmonolith on January 31, 2013, 08:17:35 PM
Streaming video of the concourse would be awesome.
As a convention staffer, I would love nothing more than to stream all of our events (for free or for a cost to cover whatever it costs us). However, there are more than just technical difficulties in getting a stream.

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on February 01, 2013, 08:10:56 PMyeah..about that...

if you want to go for a free wifi, they continued saying Gaming room!

when we enter in gaming room, the wifi was NOT there or it was trouble to get a signal!...

has any of you had a problem with rovers complaining to you about the usage of internets? (this was back in 2010 when swapmeet had a big line)
The free wifi that was broadcast on the second floor concourse was free for EVERYONE. The Gaming Hall didn't have any wifi available (as sad as this makes me). I don't think our Rovers were ever told anything about the wifi, but if they were, they were mistaken.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Dracil

Last time I remembered people tried to live stream something the union people got wind of it and demanded $3000 to hire a union worker to... stand around and do nothing? Though that was at the Civic Auditorium so YMMV.