Meta-Things > About the forums

New Forum Software Installed - New/Changed Features

(1/2) > >>

sysadmin:
I've updated the forum code base to SMF 2.0.3.
I've restored most of the old functionality, so things should be the same as before.

New things:

* You may now change your "Display Name" to be separate from your login username.
You no longer need to send in a postcard to update your Display Name.

* Various anti-spam features, to be discussed in a different post.
* You have "Buddy List" in your profile, and can follow your forum friends.
Changed things:

* The "Ignore User" feature is now part of the Buddy List.  It will still block PMs/Posts from people you ignore.

* Quoting a post with an image has a different button.
* Various moderator features.
If you feel there is a feature that you want to add, please visit http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/
If there is a mod that you like, and that will work on this codebase, let me know, and I'll see what happens.

sysadmin:
There are some other things I am thinking about:

* Refactoring the individual boards to better reflect the user experience
* Turning on enforcement of people with too large of a signature. (Hint: read the rules for the limits)
* Magically blessing forum accounts of FanimeCon Staff members.
* Purging spam accounts
* Purging inactive accounts
* Auto-locking all topics once they reach 400 days without a reply.
* Auto-deleting all topics once they reach 800 days without a reply.
* Having a convention theme template for the forums
* Making visited links purple again

Barnes:
Here's what I think:

Purging inactive accounts

Maybe you could send an email warning about that. If you get no reply by a deadline you specify, then go ahead and purge as needed.

Auto-locking all topics once they reach 400 days without a reply.

How about 365 days, just for the sake of having a solid year deadline.

Other than those, your ideas sound just fine to me  :)

lyricaldanichan:
I like the new features and it would be cool if we can have a theme for this forum instead of the SMF default.

Would the creative department be able to do something like that ?

sysadmin:

--- Quote from: Barnes on January 21, 2013, 07:44:38 PM ---Purging inactive accounts
Maybe you could send an email warning about that. If you get no reply by a deadline you specify, then go ahead and purge as needed.

--- End quote ---
Maybe.  It depends on the age of the account.  If someone hasn't logged in for two years, I don't think it matters to delete.

--- Quote from: Barnes on January 21, 2013, 07:44:38 PM ---Auto-locking all topics once they reach 400 days without a reply.
How about 365 days, just for the sake of having a solid year deadline.

--- End quote ---

The idea is to round off to 400, so that the cutoff is a little over 1 years.  Salient topics posted in May 2012 are often relevant in May 2013, but not necessarily June 2013.

--- Quote from: lyricaldanichan on January 21, 2013, 08:11:28 PM ---I like the new features and it would be cool if we can have a theme for this forum instead of the SMF default.
Would the creative department be able to do something like that ?

--- End quote ---
This is planned as the eighth bullet point in the list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version