Deposits

Started by kookiekween99, January 22, 2013, 10:22:29 PM

kookiekween99

I know that the max they can charge for a deposit is $100/night, but the individual hotels charge different amounts. My goal here is to gather information about each individual hotel for reference. If you have any info not listed here, please let me know so I can update the list. Here's what I've gathered so far from experience and forum threads:

Hilton: $50/night
Marriott: $50/night
Hyatt Place: $50/night
Saint Claire: $50/night
Fairmont: $100/night
Ramada: ?
Holiday Inn: ?
Radisson: ?
DoubleTree: ?
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

royjovero

Awesome thread. You beat me to it!

Don't take my word for it, but if the Hyatt Place is anything like the Hyatt Regency, there's no deposit required.

Lucifargundam

I'll upload a censored scan of my previous mariott/hilton receipts.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Poof-Aro

Hilton, Marriot, and Fairmont are between $110-120/night. That's with the Fanime discount. For a three night stay (Friday-Monday) I was charged roughly $450 for a two bedded room last year at the Hilton. That's with tax and everything.
Just thought I'd point that out before you get people's hopes up. I've personally stayed at the Hilton and Fairmont and they're both pretty awesome.

Just thought I'd help.

EDIT: Here's a Screencap of my confirmation email from last year.
http://i45.tinypic.com/11uugrm.png
Fanime 2014 Cosplays:
Vaporeon
The Black and Silver Steampunk

My Cosplay Page

royjovero

I still think that the basis of this thread is to gather deposit prices. That screencap would've been more beneficial in this thread
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17727.20.html

Poof-Aro

I can post it there too. :)
Fanime 2014 Cosplays:
Vaporeon
The Black and Silver Steampunk

My Cosplay Page

Xia

I just booked a room at the Marriots next to the con center (with my credit card, not debit). The estimated total rate for my group is about $400. Is the deposit fee an additional charge, OR will it be a part of the total $400~ package?

kookiekween99

Quote from: Xia on January 24, 2013, 01:24:13 PM
I just booked a room at the Marriots next to the con center (with my credit card, not debit). The estimated total rate for my group is about $400. Is the deposit fee an additional charge, OR will it be a part of the total $400~ package?

Deposit is an additional charge. With a credit card, the hotel puts a hold for the actual amount (the ~$400) and another hold for the deposit (in your case, $50/night). At check out, the actual amount is actually charged, and the deposit hold drops off after a couple days.

TC X0 Lt 0X

$50 at the marriot goes a lot better on my mind then $100.
Excellent.

Was lucky enough to get a Marriot room.
Those Hilton Rooms were gone in a flash...

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Xia

Quote from: kookiekween99 on January 24, 2013, 01:35:14 PM
Quote from: Xia on January 24, 2013, 01:24:13 PM

Deposit is an additional charge. With a credit card, the hotel puts a hold for the actual amount (the ~$400) and another hold for the deposit (in your case, $50/night). At check out, the actual amount is actually charged, and the deposit hold drops off after a couple days.

That makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for answering! (And $50/night is a good deal)

kookiekween99

Quote from: royjovero on January 22, 2013, 10:30:52 PM
Awesome thread. You beat me to it!

Don't take my word for it, but if the Hyatt Place is anything like the Hyatt Regency, there's no deposit required.

Saw in another thread someone claiming a $50/night deposit for Hyatt Place.

royjovero

Yup, I saw that too. It's nice to see that the community is helping each other out in this regard.

DangerHeart

Is there anyone who's stayed at the Saint Claire that can confirm the $50/night deposit? I'm only asking because I could of sworn my friend paid $100/night two years back, but maybe because they had a junior suite and not a normal room?

Vasyenka

Quote from: DangerHeart on February 05, 2013, 12:46:26 PM
Is there anyone who's stayed at the Saint Claire that can confirm the $50/night deposit? I'm only asking because I could of sworn my friend paid $100/night two years back, but maybe because they had a junior suite and not a normal room?
My girlfriend and I stayed there last year, and I can confirm it was $50 a night! We had the deposit held on a different card than the one we paid with (we paid using half with cash, the other half with the card we reserved the room with), and had no problems at all regarding that~ <3

Hope that helps!
Fanimu 2022 Cosplay Lineup:
[Rutile] [Zhongli] [Sakuya Izayoi] [Tifa Lockhart] [Chain Chompette]

DangerHeart

Quote from: Vasyenka on February 06, 2013, 03:15:00 AM
Quote from: DangerHeart on February 05, 2013, 12:46:26 PM
My girlfriend and I stayed there last year, and I can confirm it was $50 a night! We had the deposit held on a different card than the one we paid with (we paid using half with cash, the other half with the card we reserved the room with), and had no problems at all regarding that~ <3

Hope that helps!

Thanks! Cash and card is what we do every year, works out better that way.

stitchez

If anyone has experience from the DoubleTree last year for deposits that would be very helpful for me! I'm hosting 3 rooms (since i'm one of the best in my group of friends with planning) so I want to know just how large the hold on my card will be and if i'll end up needing to have one person per room put their card up for the deposit instead of me holding them all.

stitchez

Quote from: stitchez on February 08, 2013, 01:50:21 AM
If anyone has experience from the DoubleTree last year for deposits that would be very helpful for me! I'm hosting 3 rooms (since i'm one of the best in my group of friends with planning) so I want to know just how large the hold on my card will be and if i'll end up needing to have one person per room put their card up for the deposit instead of me holding them all.
Ended up calling myself. They said it was only $25 a night because they lowered the rate?

otakuya

For deposits, I highly recommend using an actual credit card, not a bank debit card or prepaid card. Charges and holds on credit cards can be reversed and adjusted almost immediately, or after 1-2 business days. Debit cards usually take about a week or more because they take money out then put it back in. I hardly see hotels take cash deposits without any sort of card on file.

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Otakuya on April 23, 2013, 02:39:48 PM
For deposits, I highly recommend using an actual credit card, not a bank debit card or prepaid card. Charges and holds on credit cards can be reversed and adjusted almost immediately, or after 1-2 business days. Debit cards usually take about a week or more because they take money out then put it back in. I hardly see hotels take cash deposits without any sort of card on file.

Back when I reserved a room with my debit card, the charges were finalized 3-4 days after checkout.  Really the drawback to debit for that is (until the security deposit is refunded after checkout when the charges are finalized), you're out the room charges plus the $50-$100/night they tacked on for security charges "just in case".  It makes it so unless your checking account has some financial padding, you could be short on funds.  But yes, for that reason it's best to use credit/cash, but not everyone has a credit card (seems they've become difficult to get the last few years if you're beginning), and not everyone is comfortable handling roughly $400 in cash at once.  So while debit/prepaid is probably the third best choice in terms of deposits, for some it might be the best/easiest option.

Freight

The Hilton deposit is not $50 per night.  It's the cost of one night's stay, plus tax, so if you have quad occupancy, it's $122.00 plus tax, but that's not per night, that deposit is for your stay.