FanimeCon 2013 Hotel Room Prices

Started by M, January 23, 2013, 03:18:53 PM

Shi_Musouka

Quote from: lloydxninja on January 23, 2013, 07:00:30 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if there is a certain age in order to book a room such as 17 or 18+?
Or can a parent just book the room then pay when I arrive at the hotel?

Just keep in mind that most hotels will require a parent/guardian to check in for you if the room is placed under your name if you're under 18(unless its under your mom/dad's name, then don't worry about it).

I remember I was actually able to book a room at Fanime when I was still 17. I just don't remember how I was able to do it though.

RitsukaUzumaki

Are they really sold out already? It wasn't loading for a half hour now it says they're all sold out. >:(

Oh thank god. Lolz
I had been looking at the Fanime 2012 Housing and didn't notice. X3

So I got my two rooms and I'm totally ready for Fanime2013!!!~!!
FanimeCon 2014: Uchiha Madara(Pre-Konoha), Uchiha Mikoto(Young), Trancy Alois, and one more undecided.

http://ritsukauzumaki.deviantart.com
http://www.facebook.com/RitsukaUzumaki?fref=ts
http://phantomleafpro.deviantart.com

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

SukebeStudios

Ok, this is OUTRAGEOUS! All the hotels are charging $100 per night deposit??? I booked at the Fairmont at $89...so that means the freaking deposit is more expensive than the price of actually staying there! We're not made of money, you know. Fanime's already driven up their prices for reg to obscene levels, now the hotel crap?

Xia

Quote from: SukebeStudios on January 24, 2013, 01:21:15 PM
Ok, this is OUTRAGEOUS! All the hotels are charging $100 per night deposit??? I booked at the Fairmont at $89...so that means the freaking deposit is more expensive than the price of actually staying there! We're not made of money, you know. Fanime's already driven up their prices for reg to obscene levels, now the hotel crap?

This is my first time booking a hotel for Fanime, but my understanding is that deposits will range from x min. to $100/per night. Still though the deposit business is making me nervous.

Lucifargundam

I went to the reservation link before the site was up and kept refreshing the link >:P

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Aoiro

When I had 2 rooms reserved at the Hyatt last year, the deposit was $50 for each room. So I ended up putting down only an extra $100.
FanimeCon 2013 cosplays

Briefers Rock from "Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt"
Chie Satonaka from "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4"
Hikaru Usada/Rabi~en~Rose from "Di Gi Charat"
Eruka Frog from "Soul Eater"

SukebeStudios

Quote from: Xia on January 24, 2013, 01:25:47 PM

This is my first time booking a hotel for Fanime, but my understanding is that deposits will range from x min. to $100/per night. Still though the deposit business is making me nervous.

We need someone from Fanime to confirm this. I booked the Fairmont at $89/per night, Thursday-Friday. With tax, it'll come to about $380. So for 4 nights, the deposit is $400. How the hell do you get a hotel that charges more for the deposit than the stay? That makes NO SENSE!!!

ewu

Feel free to confirm by calling CMR:

FanimeCon Housing 2013 Customer Contact Center:
Monday - Friday, 6am - 6pm (Pacific Time)
(800) 924-4232 (Toll Free U.S. & Canada)
(415) 979-2282 (Outside U.S. & Canada)

Note that hotels are normally $150-200 they are only this low due to the convention rate that our staff have worked hard negotiating.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

xshadowpuffx

LAST YEAR, my group and I booked the FAIRMONT 1 BEDROOM SUITE w/ king bed for $204/night. This included a living room and a bedroom per the official Fairmonth website. This room was around 900 sq ft which is double that of a normal king bedded room. Now at the size, it was understandable that the price was 204, because it was like paying for two rooms. THIS YEAR, I've noticed that there are two 1-BEDROOM SUITES available via the Fanime Housing site and the one with King bed is priced at $89 and Two-beds priced at $115. Either this is a ridiculous drop or discount in prices...or maybe there is some discrepancy Fanime needs to address. PLEASE SOMEONE RESPOND TO ME ABOUT THIS MATTER.

I called Fanime Housing directly, and the person I spoke to didn't seem to know what he was talking about. He just said that whatever price is listed, that is the priced negotiated with the Hotel, which is understandable, but it just doesn't make sense.

I've booked the same room at Fanime for 3 years in a row now...it's always been 1-bedroom suite at the Fairmont at >200 dollars. Could some please explain the prices this time around?

Below are the room descriptions per the Fairmont hotel. Note that their suites are much much more expensive than their regular rooms.

Guest Rooms :http://www.fairmont.com/san-jose/accommodations/guest-rooms/

Suites: http://www.fairmont.com/san-jose/accommodations/suites/

YaoiCat

I was able to book my own group's room (thanks goodness!) but my friend and her group were not so lucky, they wanted the hilton but the housing site is showing that they are no more hilton rooms available.  I was wondering, will more rooms be added?  If so, is there a waiting list?

SukebeStudios

Quote from: ewu on January 24, 2013, 01:42:51 PM
Feel free to confirm by calling CMR:

FanimeCon Housing 2013 Customer Contact Center:
Monday - Friday, 6am - 6pm (Pacific Time)
(800) 924-4232 (Toll Free U.S. & Canada)
(415) 979-2282 (Outside U.S. & Canada)

Note that hotels are normally $150-200 they are only this low due to the convention rate that our staff have worked hard negotiating.

So...my $89/per night room is just a good deal covered in a sh***y blanket? That hardly seems fair.

*EDIT*
I just called housing. Apparently ONLY the Fairmont is charging the additional $100/per night deposit. Basically it's the Fairmont sticking it to Fanime and it's guests.

royjovero

Quote from: xshadowpuffx on January 24, 2013, 01:44:46 PM
LAST YEAR, my group and I booked the FAIRMONT 1 BEDROOM SUITE w/ king bed for $204/night. This included a living room and a bedroom per the official Fairmonth website. This room was around 900 sq ft which is double that of a normal king bedded room. Now at the size, it was understandable that the price was 204, because it was like paying for two rooms. THIS YEAR, I've noticed that there are two 1-BEDROOM SUITES available via the Fanime Housing site and the one with King bed is priced at $89 and Two-beds priced at $115. Either this is a ridiculous drop or discount in prices...or maybe there is some discrepancy Fanime needs to address. PLEASE SOMEONE RESPOND TO ME ABOUT THIS MATTER.

I called Fanime Housing directly, and the person I spoke to didn't seem to know what he was talking about. He just said that whatever price is listed, that is the priced negotiated with the Hotel, which is understandable, but it just doesn't make sense.

I've booked the same room at Fanime for 3 years in a row now...it's always been 1-bedroom suite at the Fairmont at >200 dollars. Could some please explain the prices this time around?

Below are the room descriptions per the Fairmont hotel. Note that their suites are much much more expensive than their regular rooms.

Those are the prices for regular guest rooms. I stayed in the Fairmont last year in the $89/night room, and it was just a normal guest room.

Freight

The link wasn't functioning, and I called CMR directly.   I got in to talk to them by 12:12, but due to a computer error on their part, I was on hold for almost 30 minutes.  By that time, the only thing left was the Doubletree.  I was actually screwed by a computer error by the housing bureau.

Naiagu

Quote from: SukebeStudios on January 24, 2013, 01:39:39 PM
Quote from: Xia on January 24, 2013, 01:25:47 PM

We need someone from Fanime to confirm this. I booked the Fairmont at $89/per night, Thursday-Friday. With tax, it'll come to about $380. So for 4 nights, the deposit is $400. How the hell do you get a hotel that charges more for the deposit than the stay? That makes NO SENSE!!!

I've stayed at the Fairmont a couple of years back, every hotel has a different deposit. Fairmont's has been $100 a night since I stayed there 3 years ago. Most other hotels near the con are at a $50 deposit. You'll get the money back once you check out. A bit pricey but it's expected.
Fanime line up 2017:
Thur:
Fri: Ruby Rose 4th Season
Sat: Sa-chan(Gintama)
Sun: AM Haruhi (Ouran) / PM Phichit (YOI)

Gigantor

I've been going to Fanime for many years and stayed at the Fairmont last year and the 100 deposit is just what the Fairmont charges. If you booked outside of the convention you would also be charged a deposit. It is just what they have to do to cover themselves.

Last year I had three rooms at the Fairmont, and as such was supposed to pay 1200 in deposit. Which of course is difficult to do. However last year they worked with me as well when I talked to the night manager at the hotel. Since I paid in cash they made some alterations for me.

It is unfortunate that the deposit is so particularly high at the Fairmont but that's just their right as a hotel.

My recommendation to you, is if at all possible, but the deposit on a credit card.

xshadowpuffx

Quote from: royjovero on January 24, 2013, 01:48:03 PM

Those are the prices for regular guest rooms. I stayed in the Fairmont last year in the $89/night room, and it was just a normal guest room.

I realize that. My problem is that the Fanime Housing website is also listing 1-bedroom suites at those same prices.  That doesn't look right...

urza

Quote from: xshadowpuffx on January 24, 2013, 03:03:34 PM

I realize that. My problem is that the Fanime Housing website is also listing 1-bedroom suites at those same prices.  That doesn't look right...

i think i see your problem here.  you comment that you booked through the Fairmont site.  the Fairmont site doesn't give the special deals for the convention.  only the official Fanime site has the deals for the hotel rooms/ suites.  there is also a chance that you misread the posting and were looking at the normal 400-450 sq ft rooms.

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: urza on January 24, 2013, 04:36:19 PM
i think i see your problem here.  you comment that you booked through the Fairmont site.  the Fairmont site doesn't give the special deals for the convention.  only the official Fanime site has the deals for the hotel rooms/ suites.  there is also a chance that you misread the posting and were looking at the normal 400-450 sq ft rooms.
I think what's being said is that last year, the same room advertised through Fanime Housing was $200+ and this year it's only $115. A great deal, which is suspiciously the same price as a regular double occupancy room. Raising the question of whether it is just a great deal, or if the room type/price is mislabeled.

xshadowpuffx

Quote from: urza on January 24, 2013, 04:36:19 PM
Quote from: xshadowpuffx on January 24, 2013, 03:03:34 PM

I have never booked directly with the Fairmont. That is nowhere in my comment.  You're looking at prices in the 300-400 range for suites if you book directly with the Fairmont. I've ALWAYS booked with FANIME (I wish I had a screen shot from last year). FANIME HOUSING has ALWAYS offered one bedroom suites but at a much higher prices. I've been booking the same room with Fanime Housing for the last four-five years. That is why this all seems suspicious and wrong.