Artist Alley Panel? ACCEPTED! (for 2014)

Started by Pineapple Pocky, January 24, 2013, 02:31:38 PM

Pineapple Pocky

note: I had the same panel last year, it was really great (a LOT of people were taking notes too!). I am hosting it again this year, and encourage all who are interested to come by and check it out.

I'm thinking of making a panel about people who are thinking of going to artist alley, or have only gone to a few sittings in Artist Alley. It's also a panel to filter out whether or not it is worth it to sit behind artist alley, in hopes of getting people in future conventions whom I think deserved to sit there but did not get in because it was filled by someone else who just decided to get a table for no particular reason. Also, tips and tricks on surviving the day.

Just to back up that I'm not bluffing about the topic, I've been behind artist alley since 2004, and it's not just anime cons.

It's not a super 'this is how you start' kind of panel (you can always look that stuff up online), it's a panel about a lot of really bad experiences I've seen or had that people STILL go through (especially noobies). Stuff like health problems, people bugging you at tables and art abuse, which tables/cons are best for what kind of artwork, which conventions are recommended to go to, easy shopping list, and common mistakes and solutions. Artist Alley is like survival of the fittest--if you can survive everything I said in the panel I plan to present, then you're good to go. If not, you're gonna end up with a broken ego :D

Like last time, there will be a printed booklet that includes some basic stuff I talked about, and some other stuff to keep in hand. This time I will include a receipt template that can be xeroxed and cut out whenever you need it, a before-con checklist, and hmm...any suggesstions?

djmonolith

Quote from: Pineapple Pocky on January 24, 2013, 02:31:38 PM
I'm thinking of making a panel about people who are thinking of going to artist alley, or have only gone to a few sittings in Artist Alley. It's also a panel to filter out whether or not it is worth it to sit behind artist alley, in hopes of getting people in future conventions whom I think deserved to sit there but did not get in because it was filled by someone else who just decided to get a table for no particular reason. Also, tips and tricks on surviving the day.

Just to back up that I'm not bluffing about the topic, I've been behind artist alley since 2004, and it's not just anime cons.

It's not a super 'this is how you start' kind of panel (you can always look that stuff up online), it's a panel about a lot of really bad experiences I've seen or had that people STILL go through (especially noobies). Stuff like health problems, people bugging you at tables and art abuse, which tables/cons are best for what kind of artwork, which conventions are recommended to go to, easy shopping list, and common mistakes and solutions. Artist Alley is like survival of the fittest--if you can survive everything I said in the panel I plan to present, then you're good to go. If not, you're gonna end up with a broken ego :D

but seriously, would anyone here be interested?

I think it is a great idea.  I would like to see you (or someone) take the info gathered from this panel and publish something online.  It would be interesting to read and a good reference for those who are thinking about getting a booth in AA.
This is my signature.

Hachimitsu

2 questions::
- 1:: there are other people who has bad experiences as well.. are there other people who are joining with you abuot this?

-2:: is it safe to talk about that? i mean fanime has alot of strange and strict guidances!

Pineapple Pocky

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on January 26, 2013, 09:32:19 PM
2 questions::
- 1:: there are other people who has bad experiences as well.. are there other people who are joining with you abuot this?

-2:: is it safe to talk about that? i mean fanime has alot of strange and strict guidances!

Excellent questions!

1) In fact, yes, I had not thought of it, but I'd like a guest or two, but only if they have had some really bad experiences. For me, I am WAY loaded with bad things that my many, many other friends have also experienced, but yea if someone had a similar or worse one it would be good to share. Maybe sneak a few of you guys in the seats to make sure you ask specific questions so we could make it seem like it's more than just me who has the issues in audience :P
We'll see, I'm usually a soloist, but your idea would be an excellent addition. But first I need to get the idea to Fanime...

2)I have not thought of it, but I believe of the two conventions that have had the worst experiences, AX and Fanime are the worst. I'm sorry staff if you read this, but I was hoping this panel would help ease up the tension with the artists in this and every other con, and it's not because the con is bad, it's because the people involved around artist alley (not the artists) are a bit 'ignorant' about etiquette, and the problem is how the artists behind the tables deal with it or ignore it that make it worse. No, you don't tell them to go away, but yes, there are ways to deal with it, or prevent problems entirely. You just don't know, and this is what the panel is for.

djmonolith

Quote from: Pineapple Pocky on February 07, 2013, 01:35:25 PM

it's not because the con is bad, it's because the people involved around artist alley (not the artists) are a bit 'ignorant' about etiquette, and the problem is how the artists behind the tables deal with it or ignore it that make it worse. No, you don't tell them to go away, but yes, there are ways to deal with it, or prevent problems entirely.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean here?  I think this forum is fine to give some details.  Are you speaking about etiquette between the artists and the consumers?  Are you talking about the staff and artists?  As a fan of artists alley I would be VERY interested in hearing about any expected "etiquette" before I break any rules.  Thanks!
This is my signature.

Pineapple Pocky

Quote from: djmonolith on February 07, 2013, 10:37:36 PM
Quote from: Pineapple Pocky on February 07, 2013, 01:35:25 PM

it's not because the con is bad, it's because the people involved around artist alley (not the artists) are a bit 'ignorant' about etiquette, and the problem is how the artists behind the tables deal with it or ignore it that make it worse. No, you don't tell them to go away, but yes, there are ways to deal with it, or prevent problems entirely.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean here?  I think this forum is fine to give some details.  Are you speaking about etiquette between the artists and the consumers?  Are you talking about the staff and artists?  As a fan of artists alley I would be VERY interested in hearing about any expected "etiquette" before I break any rules.  Thanks!

Actually...excellent question on this too! Yes, because the staff of Fanime aren't consisted primarily of artists (who are in charge of the con and not just the illustrations, which I mean), they don't have much influence on the rules. And I doubt even having them would do anything, if no one understands WHY it shouldn't happen!

so here's one example:  I know one really big hidden issue that only pops up if you're aware you've been a professional illustrator or experienced stuff like plagarism or things like memes that are related, one rule that congoers always break is taking out their smartphone, zooming in on your artwork, and *click* and walk away. That is a no-no, and even if they think you're a poop for not letting them take photos, they're a poop to even try that in the first place. Unless they give you a name, photograph you in the photo, and hopefully email it back to you, it's highly disrespectful.

artist-to-artist etiquette: I don't see how Fanime doesn't catch some of the art thieves around the place (not just artist alley but at the dealers hall too). A semi-decent artist can easily see if the work was scanned and poorly printed on the surface of other objects like buttons. If you see it, even if you like it, don't buy it. The person selling doesn't deserve that kind of attention. I don't think staff has a way of dealing with this, since I see it at multiple conventions, all the time.

Between artist and staff/con-goers? I think the staff should have a stash of emergency waterbottles for anyone who feints/nearly passes out behind artist alley-it's most common for noobs behind tables because of dehydration. If you see someone really exhausted a few hours before the con, you may want to just ask them if they ate/drank anything, and advise them to go get a drink (dude there's a water fountain conveniently set at Fanime inside that room). Very simple, but the moment you see someone sitting next to you feint, barely move, or find out they couldn't even get out of bed for a few hours the next day, it's incredibly likely it's dehydration and not because they're tired. That or their ego was crushed behind the table, which I will explain in the panel as well (I mean, if I DO get this panel)

and finally, don't spit/eat food in front of their tables and lean in, it's disgusting.

much more discussion in the panel.

Pineapple Pocky

Quote from: djmonolith on January 26, 2013, 06:11:25 PM
Quote from: Pineapple Pocky on January 24, 2013, 02:31:38 PM

but seriously, would anyone here be interested?

I think it is a great idea.  I would like to see you (or someone) take the info gathered from this panel and publish something online.  It would be interesting to read and a good reference for those who are thinking about getting a booth in AA.

hey, would a someone who records the entire thing be considered a panelist helper in any way?

Pineapple Pocky

the panel information is up-is an informational panel worth it even if I don't get any discount because I pre-registered? Or is practically everyone doing it for the discount?

Kava

To answer the two things that I can answer:

- We have no issues with respectful discourse on experiences with this or any other convention, even if that discussion touches on some things that didn't go so well for some members or in which you'd prefer some changes. (Though, suggestions for changes might receive a broader staff audience if given at the after-con gripe session or sent in via e-mail, etc. directly to staff.)

- Many panelists take advantage of the discount, but not all of them. Some panelists sign up because they love their topic and want to share it with others.
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

djmonolith

Quote from: Pineapple Pocky on February 19, 2013, 07:29:19 PM

so here's one example:  I know one really big hidden issue that only pops up if you're aware you've been a professional illustrator or experienced stuff like plagarism or things like memes that are related, one rule that congoers always break is taking out their smartphone, zooming in on your artwork, and *click* and walk away. That is a no-no, and even if they think you're a poop for not letting them take photos, they're a poop to even try that in the first place. Unless they give you a name, photograph you in the photo, and hopefully email it back to you, it's highly disrespectful.

I am really glad you posted this.  You are right, I don't think many of us "fans" realize that there are people who are happy taking photos and not paying for the artwork.  I am interested in commissions and original sketches.  I also love documenting my experience at Fanime with photos.  I post them online and share.  Although I have never taken photos of individual pieces of art, I have certainly taken photos of booths with the artists clearly in the photo.  I also take random photos of the alley.  Many times I ask because I want the artist to be in the photo... but sometimes I don't.  Perhaps I can make little cards with my flickr address and hand them out as I take photos this year?  Perhaps that will help.
This is my signature.

luluko

Quote from: Pineapple Pocky on February 20, 2013, 07:01:39 PM
the panel information is up-is an informational panel worth it even if I don't get any discount because I pre-registered? Or is practically everyone doing it for the discount?

just popped in to say that I hope you submitted this panel because it sounds really original and informative to me. if you did, I wish you luck and I hope it gets in!

as for "doing it for the discount"... I like to think that no panelist runs panels for this reason. while I certainly hope I can get a discounted badge for Fanime (as a cosplayer who is flying in from out of state, I would definitely appreciate saving even a little bit on my badge), I would gladly do panels either way. I always appreciate cons that offer discounted badges to their panelists, but that is never my priority when running panels. I run them because it's enjoyable to me. ^^ My best panelist experience ever was actually at ALA earlier this year, where they don't offer panelist discounts.
/sorrygettingoffmysoapboxnow

Pineapple Pocky

You know, I don't care about the discount anymore. Actually I haven't and didn't know how it worked either. I made it because I want to, and I made it for a purpose. I wish I could join Fanime staff to help about artist alley, unfortunately I live in Oakland, which is a city a bit far from San Jose, and I have no-staff experience, nor have I proven a spit of anything at you yet to prove my knowledge (so basically you don't know me and i just popped in here with a panel idea).

I had a gut feeling about not being able to do the panel, and I'm really really happy it was not just me who had so many concerns. If all of you reading this are interested in this subject, I DO have a blog with an additional series called "ANGRY ARTIST ALLEY" (started recently), where people ask me problems and I give a solution.

The blog is here: http://jackieloart.com/blog/
If you want the archive, just click the link on top that says 'angry artist alley', but I'd appreciate if you read the other articles too. Everything in my blog are photos that I personally took of my adventures, as well as the art, so just looking through those will make me happy.

If you like it, please spread the word, watch me on facebook, etc. Pageviews make me happy, but more importantly I hope no one goes through every possible scenario in panic. We're all likely to get into hell, but facing it head on is the 'experience' in artist alley, imo. That's why I dubbed my panel idea "survival of the fittest"

And to Fanime: Every con always has something bad. And it's not artist alley. The fact that the same mistakes and issues are repeated over and over at conventions is the concern. Whether or not you realize it at all, or want a very crude honest opinion on it, that's another thing.

Kava

A lot of people who staff have no experience before their first time. And a lot of fan panelists haven't given a panel before their first one. :) There's a first time for everything, right? If you'd like to join staff, I think you should feel free to apply for next year. A lot of staff don't reside locally, and most departments can make arrangements for this.

You seem very passionate about your subject, and to have a lot to say. That's a really good start for a panelist.

Artist Alley is run by a different division from Panels (Panels is in the Programming division, AA is in the Fan Services division), so I can't really comment much on their policies or why they exist. You might be able to ask those questions over here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/board,31.0.html

We also have a post-con feedback session every year, immediately following closing ceremonies on Monday. Or you could send your feedback via e-mail, etc. Sometimes we can't change the way we are doing things due to legalities, rules of the venue we are using, or other complications that aren't transparent to the public, but we do encourage everyone to give honest feedback. A panel is just not the place to provide that, since unless it's the Staff running AA hosting the panel, they're unlikely to hear the feedback or be able to respond to it.

In any case, I am not personally fully acquainted with what AA policies are. I can totally answer panel questions though!

I apologize that we're a bit behind in scheduling.

Your panel, as submitted, seems like a valuable resource for new artists wanting to participate in an AA, not just at Fanime, but at conventions in general. Hopefully we'll be able to fit you into the schedule.
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Pineapple Pocky

I've said this maybe twice now to you guys, but it's not really the convention's issues with artist alley. It's like the situation of bad cosplayers-- they aren't because of bad conventions, it's just because there are things that can be done for all parties to make it better. Same with artist alley--it's usually the customers that determine whether or not one would like artist alley. And with Fanime, if your art fits in, it's great. If not, then it's not because the con was bad. Of course every once in a while you really DO get a bad conventions in places :I

I'd rather wait until the end of Fanime before I send any opinion about artist alley. It's way too late to change anything, and would likely be an even more complicated issue if they even decide to change it by now. A lot of changes this year; let's see how this goes.

My intention for this panel was for people to understand what artist alley really is. And thank you for reading and considering my panel. I'll keep crossing my fingers.

Pineapple Pocky

shazam! I got the table! Thanks Fanime staff for picking me :D

Panel 4, friday night 9:00 pm-10:00 pm. If you can't make it the entire time or want to stop by, I will have small printout booklets that cover some of the important information that you can pick up.

Right now, since Artist Alley is a very narrow subject (although many people just 'think' about doing it), I am trying to figure out how many booklets I should make, and a few extras. I was thinking about 30-40 booklets, so people can carry doubles or triples for their buddies. Or maybe that is just hoping for too much and a waste of ink and paper?

djmonolith

Quote from: Pineapple Pocky on April 21, 2013, 08:20:28 PM
shazam! I got the table! Thanks Fanime staff for picking me :D

Panel 4, friday night 9:00 pm-10:00 pm. If you can't make it the entire time or want to stop by, I will have small printout booklets that cover some of the important information that you can pick up.

Right now, since Artist Alley is a very narrow subject (although many people just 'think' about doing it), I am trying to figure out how many booklets I should make, and a few extras. I was thinking about 30-40 booklets, so people can carry doubles or triples for their buddies. Or maybe that is just hoping for too much and a waste of ink and paper?

Great news!  Count me in!
This is my signature.

Pineapple Pocky

BAM! I got in again :3
"Artist Alley: Survival Guide" is on Friday, 9pm-10pm in Panels 4
I chose this time so everyone can get dinner and all the artist alley people who feel like getting there aren't so exhausted like the other days.