Fanimaid Cafe 2013!

Started by Jun-Shena, January 27, 2013, 12:11:35 PM

Jun-Shena

Hello girls! Jun, here.

Welcome, and I hope all of you have been enjoying 2013, thusfar! We'll be kicking off the new year with a few updates, including our first available try-out dates!

- - -

First off, here are the basic requirements for volunteering for Fanimaid Cafe:

1. You must be a girl, and at least 16 years of age by FanimeCon.
2. You need to provide your own registration, transportation, and approved uniform.

What kind of girls are we looking for?

Well, while we're fairly easy-going and open about the girls we invite into the Fanimaid Cafe family, we do have a few things we look for! But don't be shy! We don't bite. (This is a volunteer gig, and being a maid is completely NON-SEXUAL.)

1. You love anime/manga/games and have an interest in maid cafes, moe-kei, and Akiba culture!
2. You want to learn how to be a maid, dress up in a cute maid uniform, and meet people!
3. You're willing to sit with patrons and partake in fun conversations and games
4. You're willing to dedicate at least 4+ hours per day of FanimeCon (except Monday) to Fanimaid Cafe
5. You're willing to be on a team with a bunch of cute maids and give it your all to make Fanimaid Cafe 2013 as awesome as ever!!!

And a PLUS would be (but not required nor do they affect your eligibility for joining):

1. You have serving experience in a restaurant (We are also looking for people with California-registered Food Handlers cards!!! They're extremely easy to get, if interested.)
2. You're interested in performing on Stage Zero with your fellow maids
3. You've been to a maid cafe in Japan and are knowledgeable related subjects
4. Are in fluent in Japanese, though not required

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention, but when you become a volunteer at FanimeCon and work up to 20 hours related to Fanimaid Cafe, you may be reimbursed for a full-weekend badge! But you still need to purchase your registration first, and ask about volunteering by contacting the volunteering department, or upon pick-up.

- - -

We'll be hosting try-outs fairly soon, and we need you to pass ONE try-out in order to volunteer. (Please show up to only ONE try-out.) Upon passing, we require you to keep up on e-mail updates and announcements, as well as attend a mandatory meeting on Friday evening of FanimeCon.

This year's try-out dates will be in 2 locations:

San Francisco Japantown: The courtyard across the street from the Pagoda. We'll be meeting in the round stone seating area in front of Shabu-sen. (Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/Lt99B The street in between is Post St.)

San Jose Convention Center: We'll be meeting in the San Jose Marriot. Please meet us in the lobby, and be punctual! It is important that you arrive on time, as we will not allot for more than 15 minutes of tardiness before we move on.

Dates:

San Francisco:
February 16, 2013 @ 1:00PM during AOD (We are not affiliated with AOD, but are holding it there for your convenience. Feel free to be in cosplay! Though it is not required.)
March 10, 2013 @ 1:00PM
March 16, 2013 @ 1:00PM

San Jose:
March 9, 2013 @ 1:00PM

** PLEASE NOTE: We are no longer doing the public mailing list. If you would like to try-out, please show up to one of the try-out dates. However, if you need a special negotiation, feel free to email us your circumstances. Thank you!

- - -

Fanimaid Cafe is a fun experience, and many of us have made irreplaceable memories and experiences making friends and growing together, as well as found many opportunities through our event. We welcome many of you to join our family, make friends, work hard, and most of all, have fun! Our staff consists of knowledgeable, helpful, and supportive people here to make Fanimaid Cafe a great team to be a part of. Being a maid is a lot of hard work, but if you're willing to give it your all, we promise you that it'll be a memorable experience.

We hope to see you there!

Let's go Fanimaid! Get Hype!

- Jun

Nyamo

My intention of attending the maid cafe was to make new friends since I had moved from another state. To make this short, you will most definitely make some of the most wonderful friends ever! These girls are all so very kind, supportive, caring, and awesome, I dearly regard them as my own sisters. The cafe itself requires you to be moving about, so be sure to have enough energy! You will definitely have a blast meeting and chatting with new people! Hope to see you at one of the tryouts!~ Ganbatte <3

Meido Miki

When I joined Fanimaid Cafe, my intentions were to gain a few more friends and to find a group that I could feel I belonged to.  Of course when I did the tryouts, I didn't believe I was going to get accepted, but when I got that email, I literally cried tears of joy because I had such high hopes for this cafe.  When I also agreed to perform on Stage Zero with the rest of girls and getting so involved with this amazing convention, I felt special.  Getting on stage and preforming Maji Love 1000% on stage, I didn't feel nervous because I was surround with people who worked really hard to learn this dance and people who were there to support us.  When the convention was over, I felt really sad that I won't be working with them until another whole year.  But of course I got to see some of them after the con and reconnected with them and it was so pleasant.  I have never meet an awesome group of girls before and to those who want to join Fanimaids, please try your best.  It is a great experience and I know you will love it~

Hope to see everyone there at the cafe!

- Miki

Haruhi (Haru-nya)

Eto, last year, 2012, was my first year at the Fanime Maid Cafe. I was excited for the tryouts since my friend and I were eager to try out since 7th grade~ When I went to the try-outs I was pretty scared and felt like I messed up ^^; But when I was accepted I was overjoyed, but a bit scared to work with people I have never met. When I first met everyone I was pretty timid, however, as I worked with others at the tables I got closer to a few. I hope to be able to work again this year and become closer friends with the maids and new people ^^ I want to welcome them and make them feel comfortable so they have a fun time. I hope to see you all again soon ^^

Izumi

I joined Fanimaid Cafe, for two reasons, to make friends and to step outside of my comfort zone. I really consider myself an extremely shy person who is a bit unsure of myself, but when I went to Fanime in 2011, I wanted to become part of this community that I felt would embrace me for me. But to be honest I didn't think I would make it after my audition. So when I got the congratulations email letting me know I made it into the Cafe I was overjoyed and knew that I had to give 110% of my energy to make this the best experience possible and contribute back to the Cafe. For this reason I decided to join some of the other girls in a Fanimaid Live performance! I was super nervous since I'd never done anything like this, but gave it my all to make my fellow maids proud. Then through serving our goshujin-sama and Ojou-sama's I found myself having a lot of fun getting to know new people and playing fun games! I also tried really hard to practice my Japanese phrases and bow to make my senpai's proud!! After Fanimaid, I got to go to other maid hangouts to get to know some of the other girls better. I learned that they were just as moe in real life as in cosplay. I even got to go to another Con with the fabulous Miki!! So domo arigato Fanimaid Cafe for the wonderful experience and for the opportunity to show myself that I can be braver than I previously thought!

-Izumi

lycheejelly

I've been doing Fanimaid since 2010, and it's /amazing/ how much this group has grown.

You really do get an amazing experience volunteering as a maid.  You're able to create smiles on patron's faces, and create an enjoyable, memorable atmosphere for people who normally aren't able to get this sort of experience.  Some of the best experiences I've had at the con was being able to listen to a patron's story about their day at the con, or even just a snippet of what they're doing in their real life.  But along with that, you get to meet some amazingly real and and talented ladies.  And they really help you grow and become a better person. 

Last year at Fanime was hard for me, as I was barely there and was traveling back and forth from and to my home over an hour and a half away for another organization's event.  But the staff and the other maids understood my situation and really helped me out.  And it was because I was barely at the cafe this year that I realized how much Fanimaid Cafe makes my experience at Fanime better. 

Please consider trying out, even if you're tentative about it  Most of us, in fact, all of us were nervous in making that first step.  But once you do, you'll be greeted by warm people.  And for those who haven't made it previously, please try again if that's what you really want to do!  Trust me, they will notice your vigilance! 

- Enju
Fanimaid 2014 Staff

Magical Senpai

As a longtime patron of Fanimaid Cafe (been there since day one in 2007!) I look forward to yet another wonderful time!

Keep up the good work girls!  :)

Touya no Miko

I was a maid back in 2008, I plan to try out again this year since I miss the fun of being a maid again!
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

TiffanyF

Don't want to write anything long so heres the summary of my experience...

I joined Fanimaid Cafe in 2011 because I loved the maid cafe experience I got in Japan. I also love performing so I decided to try out. I had no self esteem and not much friends that were into otaku culture so I thought it would also be great to know people that did. To my surprise, I got in, made a lot of friends, got to experience a wonderful time at Fanime and even got to see Momoi Halko. Since then I've loved the cafe and the people... I joined Fanimaid staff last year and even if it was a lot of work, I was happy to see so many girls wanting to join the cafe and the great result at the end. Because of Fanime and Fanimaid Cafe, I have life long friends and have experienced many things.

I hope to see a good turnout this year as well~ If you're trying to decide because you don't have the confidence or you're not sure, just tryout! You won't regret it!

-Tiffany

somegirlkatie

I was hoping something like this would pop up this year. I hope I can try out, and don't chicken out at the last minute. The whole thing sounds really fun!

Sivartius

This (hopefully) will be my first time going to a con. If you had a Butler section I'd volunteer, but as it is I'm looking forward to coming as a guest.
I'm not actually crazy, but I'm not conventionally sane.

octorok

Hey guys,

What do the tryouts consist of? Is there any sort of dance or skill we should practice?

Also, where do the dresses come from? :U Do we buy them on our own?

TiffanyF

Quote from: octorok on January 31, 2013, 09:39:03 PM
Hey guys,

What do the tryouts consist of? Is there any sort of dance or skill we should practice?

The tryouts consist of us asking questions about yourself. Its easy questions, nothing to be afraid about.

As for the dancing and such, thats not needed for this tryout.

The dresses you have to buy on your own and it has to be approved by Fanimaid Staff after you get into the cafe. All these things will be discussed at the tryout as well~

Oh, and make sure to come in the clothes that you like or think that describes you. Theres no real need for a super proper suit or anything (unless thats your style).

djmonolith

I can't wait!  It is such a cool part of the weekend.
This is my signature.

TravelingPumpkins

Out of curiosity, what is the age range of the maids?  Can one be too old to sign up?

djmonolith

I am going to be SO shallow right now... but as long as you look good who cares???
This is my signature.

TiffanyF

Quote from: TravelingPumpkins on February 01, 2013, 11:05:32 PM
Out of curiosity, what is the age range of the maids?  Can one be too old to sign up?

You can't be too old to tryout. You just can't be under 16.

Touya no Miko

Really? From what I remembered from the last couple of Fanimes the age restrictions were 16-25.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

djmonolith

This is my signature.

octorok

Quote from: TiffanyF on January 31, 2013, 11:01:15 PM
Quote from: octorok on January 31, 2013, 09:39:03 PM
Hey guys,

The tryouts consist of us asking questions about yourself. Its easy questions, nothing to be afraid about.

As for the dancing and such, thats not needed for this tryout.

The dresses you have to buy on your own and it has to be approved by Fanimaid Staff after you get into the cafe. All these things will be discussed at the tryout as well~

Oh, and make sure to come in the clothes that you like or think that describes you. Theres no real need for a super proper suit or anything (unless thats your style).

Thank you so much! It sounds really fun. I think I'll likely come to the SJ try out!

Sorry to keep pushing this, cause you did just say it gets discussed at the tryout, but can anyone give me a ballpark number of how much the dress will cost? I think a deciding factor for me might be whether I can even afford a new dress or not :X

Thank you!