2013 FMV Contest Rules and Guidelines!

Started by Marin Jei El, January 27, 2013, 12:14:57 PM

Marin Jei El

So here's what we have so far for 2013 as of April 24th. We still getting more submissions everyday!
(please note that it is still early as we usually get a flood of submissions during the last few days before the hard deadline):

Action: 14
Drama: 19
Comedy: 6
Experimental:15

Keep in mind that we usually have enough time per category for 5, maybe 6, entries on average. This is why we have such crazy competition and it hurts us to make cuts. Over the past couple of years we have increased the length of the show from 2 hours up to close to 3 hours as we try to squeeze as many entries as possible into the final show.
Fanime Music Video Contest Dept. Head
Any Questions or Comments send to:
[email protected]

Tsu

Looks like turning Experimental into Experimental/Trailer has really brought out entries in droves! I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with... it's been too long since we've had a trailer category.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Marin Jei El

Agreed. I really hope we get more comedy entries, but we know that is a tough AMV to make.
[email protected]

Bm-Atticus

Not to worry! A Comedy entry will be on its way in the morning or afternoon!

Marin Jei El

Posted a new update in the Email Updates thread. Only 1 Day left for submissions!
[email protected]

Xia

My understanding is that the judges look at all the videos then decide which ones make it to the final rounds. Do they view the final entries a second time and score them, or does all judging take place at once?

Also, is it possible to post a tally of entries per category? It'll be nice to know how much was submitted by the hard deadline this year. Thanks!

Tsu

Quote from: Xia on May 03, 2013, 11:43:15 PM
My understanding is that the judges look at all the videos then decide which ones make it to the final rounds. Do they view the final entries a second time and score them, or does all judging take place at once?

Also, is it possible to post a tally of entries per category? It'll be nice to know how much was submitted by the hard deadline this year. Thanks!

I'm looking forward to these answers too. Especially the tally.

Will there be a meet and greet this year? I tend to think not, but...

Tsu

Since the schedule isn't up yet and looks like it might not be for a while yet, I'll ask here: Are we getting 2 showings again this year, and will it be in 2 rooms or just one?

Thanks!

Marin Jei El

[email protected]

Tsu

RADX888

Sometime I should really think about making a comedy AMV. I like making action videos but that category is soooooo tough, cuz their is also
so many other good entries. Well, continuing to wait for that 2nd e-mail.

Marin Jei El

So here's what we have for the 2013 FMV Contest.

Action: 22
Drama: 25
Comedy: 11
Experimental:16

We're finishing up the Judge's Panel and will start sending out the next round of emails tomorrow. This means that you should expect you emails letting you know if you submission has made it into the final show in the next few days. Cheers!
[email protected]

Tsu

It's good to see that numbers are up overall. Sounds like it'll be a good show!

Bm-Atticus

I know I shouldn't be as nervous as I feel about the waiting. My last videos made it in and did fairly well. I guess since this is my first year submitting a comedy to Fanime I'm more anxious then I should be. I was going to submit the comedy I did last year, but I was trapped in bootcamp and didn't send it off before the deadline. Apparently I was missed lol.

But it's great to see so many entries and I'm sure it's going to be a fantastic contest!

Tsu

Quote from: Bm-Atticus on May 13, 2013, 04:14:15 PM
I know I shouldn't be as nervous as I feel about the waiting. My last videos made it in and did fairly well. I guess since this is my first year submitting a comedy to Fanime I'm more anxious then I should be. I was going to submit the comedy I did last year, but I was trapped in bootcamp and didn't send it off before the deadline. Apparently I was missed lol.

But it's great to see so many entries and I'm sure it's going to be a fantastic contest!

For what it's worth, I've been entering Fanime's AMV/FMV Contest for... uh... 9 years (?) and if you're anything like me, that feeling never goes away. But that makes it all the more exciting if/when you get the good email. :D

Have you sent your vid anywhere else? Has it done well? That'd probably be a good indicator of  getting in to Fanime. :)

Bm-Atticus

Quote from: foester on May 13, 2013, 04:41:56 PM
Quote from: Bm-Atticus on May 13, 2013, 04:14:15 PM

For what it's worth, I've been entering Fanime's AMV/FMV Contest for... uh... 9 years (?) and if you're anything like me, that feeling never goes away. But that makes it all the more exciting if/when you get the good email. :D

Have you sent your vid anywhere else? Has it done well? That'd probably be a good indicator of  getting in to Fanime. :)

Let's see, I sent it out to Anime Conji first and it won Best in Comedy and Best in Show (first time I've ever won that) so I'd like to think that's a good sign, lol.

But wow, 9 years?! Are you going to be at the AMV meet and greet? I would love to meet a veteran and get some in-person advice on how to really step up my game.

Tsu

Quote from: Bm-Atticus on May 13, 2013, 06:19:47 PM
But wow, 9 years?! Are you going to be at the AMV meet and greet? I would love to meet a veteran and get some in-person advice on how to really step up my game.

In all seriousness, I haven't attended one yet- but I probably should. Congrats on your awards!

Bm-Atticus

Quote from: foester on May 14, 2013, 12:48:17 PM
In all seriousness, I haven't attended one yet- but I probably should. Congrats on your awards!

Thank you! And if you do decide to go that would be totally awesome. I'd love to know which videos are yours!

Tsu

Quote from: Bm-Atticus on May 14, 2013, 01:20:08 PM
Quote from: foester on May 14, 2013, 12:48:17 PM

Thank you! And if you do decide to go that would be totally awesome. I'd love to know which videos are yours!

Well... I'm going to hold off on saying anything until the finalist emails are out. I'm sure Jose's working on them as quick as he can but it's not keeping me from reloading the forum every couple of minutes...

Last year we had a pile-up of editors on the forum posting while we eagerly awaited the emails. I wonder if we could hope for the same this year. :D

Xia

Quote from: Marin Jei El on May 13, 2013, 12:59:52 PM
So here's what we have for the 2013 FMV Contest.

Action: 22
Drama: 25
Comedy: 11
Experimental:16

We're finishing up the Judge's Panel and will start sending out the next round of emails tomorrow. This means that you should expect you emails letting you know if you submission has made it into the final show in the next few days. Cheers!

Oh nice! Good to know there's a good amount of comedy and experimental entries this year.

This is my first AMV that I'm entering in contests, so I'm pretty excited and nervous to hear back soon.