2013 FMV Contest Rules and Guidelines!

Started by Marin Jei El, January 27, 2013, 12:14:57 PM

Tsu

Tch. Hiding, huh? Shows he's got a guilty conscience, I guess. Odd that his AMVs.org profile & videos are still there, but maybe they're harder to delete... I dunno.

IMO, he would've been better off publically and personally apologizing, withdrawing at least the stolen-material video from competition and hoping the AMV Contest Deities (coordinators) had mercy on him.

I've seen people on YT with blatantly-ripped-off videos posted as being theirs, but entering international competitions with stolen material is a whole 'nother ballgame. A stupid one.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Bm-Atticus

Well, it certainly gives us something to discuss while we wait for Fanime to role around.

I think this whole incident is a good reminder to keep your project file, or screenshots of your work at various stages so if something like this should happen, you have all of your proof documented.

Tsu

So controversy aside...

FANIME'S TOMORROW! OUR VIDEOS SHOW IN 2 DAYS!

Say it with me?

AHHHHHHHHHH

Bm-Atticus

I'm excited! Can't wait to see the line up!

Marin Jei El

Hi everyone,
I'm about to post this year's line up on it's own post. We would like to address the issue regarding the sampling of other editor's AMV's. After much discussion and consideration it has been decided that the submission by that particular editor will remain in place for the following reasons:
a) While we can't condone the claiming other people's work as your own, the video submitted to FanimeCon was not the video that was being called into question, but rather a different AMV. We felt that since the particular AMV that was the subject of discussion was not submitted to us, it should not affect a separate entry. Had any evidence come to light about the video that was submitted to us, that editor and the entry would most certainly have been disqualified.

b) The second reason, but unfortunately one that is a reality, is that at the time that this info came to light, the line up had already been finaled, edited, rendered and sent to print at FanimeCon. Making additional alterations to the show so close to the start of Fanime would put us so close to the deadline that it could potentially run the risk of not being completed in time possibly having to cancel at least the Friday show. We feel that jeopardizing the hard work of our outstanding edtiors would be unfair.

I hope that you can see that this was not an easy call to make and that we will do our best to make sure that things like this are properly handled. Thanks.
Fanime Music Video Contest Dept. Head
Any Questions or Comments send to:
[email protected]

Tsu

For anyone still viewing this thread, the FMV Finals do NOT start seating @ 1 as stated on the site. They start playing them at 1. Show up at 12:30 or so if you want early seating for Saturday. I showed up "early" today at 1:15 and missed the first 3 videos. :(

Also, I doubt anything can be done about it since the coordinator is off-site, but the 2nd room has a playlist problem. It repeats a drama vid in the action category and skips the action vid that's supposed to be there entirely (the skipped vid was Magi, the Dayman) I feel badly for that editor... as an audience member near me said, they'll most likely lose by default, even if they're screened in the other room properly.

matthewgutz

Quote from: foester on May 24, 2013, 08:39:42 PM
For anyone still viewing this thread, the FMV Finals do NOT start seating @ 1 as stated on the site. They start playing them at 1. Show up at 12:30 or so if you want early seating for Saturday. I showed up "early" today at 1:15 and missed the first 3 videos. :(

Also, I doubt anything can be done about it since the coordinator is off-site, but the 2nd room has a playlist problem. It repeats a drama vid in the action category and skips the action vid that's supposed to be there entirely (the skipped vid was Magi, the Dayman) I feel badly for that editor... as an audience member near me said, they'll most likely lose by default, even if they're screened in the other room properly.

Welp, there goes my chances of winning >_<

Tsu

Quote from: matthewgutz on May 24, 2013, 09:48:25 PM
Quote from: foester on May 24, 2013, 08:39:42 PM

Welp, there goes my chances of winning >_<

Oh, it's yours! So that's what happened! They put your Drama video twice. So the vid that had footage stolen from it played in place of your Action entry, but also in its proper place. That's a pretty big goof on their part.... Sorry dude :(

Marin Jei El

Thanks for bringing that up. I will call them at the Con and make sure they start the seating and the viewing at the proper time. I will see what I cab do about the playlist issue since it was all prerendered. We did make sure that they at least have all the individual submissions on site. We might at least be able to announce it and play it at the beginning of the show. I'll post on here as soon as I can get a confirmation of each.
[email protected]

Marin Jei El

Just a heads up. I have contacted the staff running the footage for the FMV Contest and made sure they know to start the show at 1:30. Seating begin at 1pm as usual.
[email protected]

Tsu

Thanks for the response. The screening did start at the proper time today so that was a pleasant change. Also, there were pens available today while yesterday there only seemed to be one or two available... So that was also an improvement.

Unfortunately, nothing was changed with the screening of the duplicate/skipped videos. I wasn't there when the screening started so I don't know if it was explained or not but there were a lot of confused people when it played for the 2nd time. And of course the oddest thing is that due to the second room being Action, Drama, Comedy & then Experimental, we saw the video in Action before seeing it in its proper place.

I hope his Drama vid does well, at least. It was quite good.

matthewgutz

Quote from: foester on May 25, 2013, 07:01:08 PM
Thanks for the response. The screening did start at the proper time today so that was a pleasant change. Also, there were pens available today while yesterday there only seemed to be one or two available... So that was also an improvement.

Unfortunately, nothing was changed with the screening of the duplicate/skipped videos. I wasn't there when the screening started so I don't know if it was explained or not but there were a lot of confused people when it played for the 2nd time. And of course the oddest thing is that due to the second room being Action, Drama, Comedy & then Experimental, we saw the video in Action before seeing it in its proper place.

I hope his Drama vid does well, at least. It was quite good.

Lol, oh well i guess

Marin Jei El

I resent the proper video to the staff with instructions to make an announcement about it not being in the correct place in the show, that it was A-8 on the ballots and to play it first. According to the ballots we got, it seemed to work as it actually got quite a large number of votes.
[email protected]

RADX888

This is after the fact, but I was never hiding from anyone. I changed and got rid of my accounts because even though I explained in great detail what I did not only to the editor of that AMV but also to the staff at Anime Expo, it was still taken the wrong way. And I believe I apologized to the guy on AMV.org too. And I told the staff of Fanime-con and the moderator of AMV.org and AnimeExpo to remove my entries when I found out that someone was displeased with what I did, which for the record this was taken out of context, "Mix of the best parts
So since none of my videos have ever made it into finals for contests (or for that matter been very popular). One of my friends suggested to me that I use the best parts of my past AMV's and put them together in a new video. Which does sound like a decent idea but if people didn't like my video's before, why would anyone like to see the same video re-used? Of course I would use an entirely new sound track, and edit the video in a new way. But I don't have any other current ideas for new video's and honestly the average member on here that isn't associated with a studio is better than me. Is it worth a shot or a chance? Hmmmm beats me..."

When I wrote that, I looked towards other people's video's for inspiration and when I saw Leather and Skirt. To me, in my mind I saw parts of that video that would look good or be good, but told and used in a different way and this is where I told the editor, and explained that I did not simply copy and paste parts of his video but I made those parts of his video myself. I physically made it with Sony Vegas and CS4 and After Effects, exactly like how I saw it and then I combined that with other footage that I also edited to make a completely different (albeit not individually unique) AMV. I told the staff of AnimeExpo if I wanted to steal that person's work, I would have just put my name on the whole Leather and Skirt video, like what someone referenced that people do on Youtube. To be honest I think our video's are completely different even though I used the same scenes. Which I also tried to argue like how many of you have seen an action AMV where the same footage is used? Yet it's by different editors, and completely different videos, nobody cries about copying each other in that instance. I was just trying to make a romance AMV, and I just saw a different use for the same scenes. But I still spent the time and actually edited it from RAW footage. I'm sorry it was the same, it was not my intention to rip-off that person's video, I was just so striving to do something different, and I thought I could implement the styles of other AMV editors into my own videos, to which I regret I took that thinking too far. And that was it, after that I stopped making AMV's and by policy AMV.org won't delete an account because they seek to keep an archive of videos. Do I still make videos? Yeah, I made another Youtube channel, I'm still an anime fan, I still like editing things and since then I've tried editing different things. I've apologized how many times for inconveniencing these contests and the conventions. So for one final time. I"M SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/DataBoy87 (new channel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA4CrRRzeiI (stuff I edited for the Japanese foreign exchange program at Toledo University)

Tsu

Radx888, I'm not going to go into too much detail in my response here, because 1) It wasn't my video you stole from, and 2) I don't want this post to be construed as flaming. While it's good you finally responded and pulled your video from competition, I have to reply to your rationalization for what you did.

QuoteTo be honest I think our video's are completely different even though I used the same scenes. Which I also tried to argue like how many of you have seen an action AMV where the same footage is used? Yet it's by different editors, and completely different videos, nobody cries about copying each other in that instance.

While I see what you're getting at, your analogy here is just wrong. You're comparing 2 different videos using the same scenes from an anime to what you did. It's not the same. You took footage from matthewgutz, all of which he'd edited to his liking, and threw it into your own video. Your analogy is like if someone sat down, made a collage from a specific magazine, and then someone else sat down and made their own collage from the same magazine and the first guy called it plagiarism. It wouldn't be. But if the second guy sat down, took the first guy's collage and cut out the parts he liked and slapped it into his own collage whole, that'd be plagiarism and that's what you did.

QuoteI was just trying to make a romance AMV, and I just saw a different use for the same scenes. But I still spent the time and actually edited it from RAW footage.

Erm, no. If someone edits the footage and you take that footage, it's not raw. It's pre-edited.

QuoteI'm sorry it was the same, it was not my intention to rip-off that person's video, I was just so striving to do something different, and I thought I could implement the styles of other AMV editors into my own videos, to which I regret I took that thinking too far.

Ok, this is where you really lose me. You wanted to do something "different", and you literally copied portions of the matthewgutz's work to do something "different"? That makes no sense. If you want to implement the styles of other editors into your own work, learn how to do what they did and do it that way. I'm pretty sure most editors have seen another person's AMV at some point, seen an interesting effect or editing style and tried to emulate that on their own in their next video. They try to recreate it for themselves and learn the skill rather than simply swiping the footage from the original vid.

matthewgutz

Quote from: RADX888 on November 02, 2013, 09:20:11 PM
To me, in my mind I saw parts of that video that would look good or be good, but told and used in a different way and this is where I told the editor, and explained that I did not simply copy and paste parts of his video but I made those parts of his video myself. I physically made it with Sony Vegas and CS4 and After Effects, exactly like how I saw it and then I combined that with other footage that I also edited to make a completely different (albeit not individually unique) AMV.

It's ok to use the same scenes as someone else, it's not ok to download their amv and take the edited scenes from it however.  The fact is, even if you did attempt to copy parts of the video it would not look exactly the same in those areas, there would be some discrepancies.  You said you used "Sony Vegas and CS4 and After Effects" to replicate the scenes when all I used was sony vegas..  The big give away was the masked scene though.  Most people would mask the lines, but I decided to be lazy (it was my first amv gimme a break D;)  and just do a rough mask of her head. 

Anyways, it seems that you're sorry and this was so long ago I completely forgot.
As long as you don't do it to other people and you learned your lesson I think its fine.

If you really want to make amvs the best way to get better is just practice.
Make goals for each of your videos to improve yourself as an editor.
Fanime was the first contest I submitted to and first I won, and since then I've continued to make more amvs.
It's been almost a year since I made that chuunibyou amv and I've won a lot of contests around the world: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtzRMwc6A6ZddGduQzBOV3pZbktyTE0wZndiOXZxWXc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Don't steal from other people, make something different, make something that stands out.
I sincerely hope you learn something from this and maybe even continue making videos of your own.

RADX888

Well, I just wanted to reply with my response in the matter. I don't have the same computer I used when I made that video so I can't prove the fact that I watched your video and then watched the episodes of Chuunibyou, and then downloaded those episodes and then edited it side-by-side to match, so that is what I meant Foester by "raw footage" because I edited it from the actual episodes and if you can't tell that their is differences, well that is nothing to brag about that I did a good job copying something frame for frame. You mentioned you use only Sony Vegas but I was just mentioning that I use different programs like CS4 because I think doing layers and masking is easier in it, well not easier but it's just the program that I am familiar with for doing that. And I could argue this point until I am blue in the face, but it doesn't matter and it is not worth it and like I said I regret doing that video in that sort of way but what bothers me is the content that we all use in the making of AMV's we don't own any of it. So even though it's your video and you used those scenes, I don't understand how editors and the AMV community can call it plagiarism when neither you or me or any editor owns the copyright to any of it. Like I said, if I wanted to steal or copy your video I wouldn't have gone through the effort and made my own. And this was something I had e-mail conversations with a member of the Anime-Expo staff about, and their is an underlining rule that you can't modify the work of someone else's video, but my question is if any editor uses something (scenes) that are the same but in a different way, I guess why is that bad when 9/10th's of my video was entirely different? I don't know, if it was something simple like collages like the analogy that Foester used, I don't think anybody would care if two collages had the same pictures but since this was for a competition and so it comes down to picking one video over another. Then yeah, what I did their was quite an extreme backlash of reaction towards this. So in the end I agree, I'm the bad guy and so I decided not to do AMV's ever again and probably for the better and my focus is elsewhere now anyway. I listed my different Youtube channel in the previous comment and I'm going to try to focus on that and doing video blogs after I finish college (hopefully from Japan). So you mentioned that you won there and you deserved it.