Splitting an AA table by days instead of down the middle?

Started by octorok, January 30, 2013, 07:54:50 PM

octorok

What do you guys think of splitting an Artist Alley table by days? Maybe one artist is there for Friday-Sat (obv puts up signs that say "only here til Fri-Sat"), packs up Saturday night and the next artist takes over Sunday and Monday?

I'm sort of considering something like this just because I'd really like to have a table this year to recoup some of my money (I'm pretty broke :C). However, while AA was SUPER rewarding and fun last year, I was stuck at my table the whole time and didn't really get to enjoy the rest of the con. I don't have enough friends to man my table for longer than a couple hours, heheha D:

I guess what I'm wondering is:
a) Does anyone do this?
b) Does this break some sort of rule?
c) Is it sort of an assy thing to do?  I remember reading on some AA guide that it wasn't very good form to abandon your table halfway through the con. But maybe it'd be okay if someone else uses the space instead?

djmonolith

Could you have friends watch your table for shifts so that you can enjoy the Con? 
This is my signature.

Lucifargundam

From what I remember being told, you can have 1 friend there with you but in order to sell art, the owner(with the permit) has to be there. I've heard of people taking over vacant tables of people who dont show up or forget to cancel. I think the main thing is that all individuals who wish to sell need to follow the same procedures as if they had their own(permit included) and make sure not to over-crowd the table.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

ewu

Tables are all paid for. Those that are no-show or in the unlikely event are not sold before the convention are sold on a day basis. FYI:)
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

phr34kish

I wouldn't recommend splitting the table via days, because then you run the risk of short changing one of the table partners. There's a pattern of attendees and sales that happens, and its usually pretty consistent. For instance, Saturday is usually the highest attended day of the con, thus the most money comes in. Your partner who doesn't get the chance to sit in with you kindof gets cheated out of their chance to make the most of their time at AA.

Hachimitsu

Quote from: ewu on January 30, 2013, 11:47:02 PM
Tables are all paid for. Those that are no-show or in the unlikely event are not sold before the convention are sold on a day basis. FYI:)

Nopee.. wrong!

Apparently You can split a table on certain days as long as you have them as a secondary partner! you can have yourself Friday and Saturday, while your friend can have sunday and monday! I done this before but its another way of Table splitting~!
((just notify the AAA how you want to settle this! because this is another way of having a Shared table. just make sure they are under your name and have the right documents and settings online and have the required permits as well... yaddaa yadaa yadaaa)))

I also sent an email to notify an absence due to stress to let them know my table is vacant for usage.

My concern is being late on arrival!
I did once added a notification to the AAAdministrations that i will be arriving late, but then i don't know if they recievd the email or they are too busy!

Also.....this brought me a huge concern though!!!
I really don't recall AA enforcing this (vacant lot) decision after seeing 3-4 tables with empty spots LAST year!
I also noticed some tables are being used WITHOUT paid for and/or some tables are taking a third chair and supplying it onto their own table just for their friends to hang out with.

octorok

So as far as I can tell, this is okay as long as the other seller has their paperwork (permits etc) and is my secondary partner?

Sounds like I need to know who that partner is before the table sign-ups go live. Unlessss.. can I add secondary partners to the tables after I sign up? Maybe via email or something?

QuoteI wouldn't recommend splitting the table via days, because then you run the risk of short changing one of the table partners. There's a pattern of attendees and sales that happens, and its usually pretty consistent. For instance, Saturday is usually the highest attended day of the con, thus the most money comes in. Your partner who doesn't get the chance to sit in with you kindof gets cheated out of their chance to make the most of their time at AA.

This is a valid concern, but I am not worrying about it too much cause I'm not planning on lying or tricking my partner. I'd let them know what days I want; if they don't like it then they don't have to split with me.

I know that last year, if I weren't able to get my own table, I would have gladly split for Sunday and Monday only. But maybe that's just me~

Hachimitsu

Quote from: octorok on January 31, 2013, 09:32:18 PM
So as far as I can tell, this is okay as long as the other seller has their paperwork (permits etc) and is my secondary partner?

Sounds like I need to know who that partner is before the table sign-ups go live. Unlessss.. can I add secondary partners to the tables after I sign up? Maybe via email or something?

QuoteI wouldn't recommend splitting the table via days, because then you run the risk of short changing one of the table partners. There's a pattern of attendees and sales that happens, and its usually pretty consistent. For instance, Saturday is usually the highest attended day of the con, thus the most money comes in. Your partner who doesn't get the chance to sit in with you kindof gets cheated out of their chance to make the most of their time at AA.

This is a valid concern, but I am not worrying about it too much cause I'm not planning on lying or tricking my partner. I'd let them know what days I want; if they don't like it then they don't have to split with me.

I know that last year, if I weren't able to get my own table, I would have gladly split for Sunday and Monday only. But maybe that's just me~

be aware that Saturday and sunday are the highest peak days to sell stuff!
Learn this the hard way after selling all the good items! and i ended up with nthing for saturday and sunday! (this was way back in 2009)

*my recommendation is to first allow your only name and finished the process!
create a user name,
then a passcode,
then how many tables your buying (sorry but your only allowed to buy 1 table w/ two chairs)
afterwards they want a website / portfolio you plan to sell

Congradulations, you made it this far, please wait while we further study your portfolio, once you got accepted you are now proceed to step (x).

now they ask for your address / payment

next they want your badge number

finally they await your confirmation

congrats you in...

but wait.. you foudn out your table sharing... not to worry./....
notify AAA and they will add that person, but agian your back at the middle,you need their permit numbrs....badge numbers, email and such and such!...

ADVISORY:: I had a hard time trying to get the final steps done because of email issues from my partner!, make sure your partner has the registered email that was used to pay for their BADGES!

ewu

TL;DR? yes you can add the second person to your table. We prefer you don't because the many requests are hard to fulfill, but if you have to you can.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom