Mini photo studio

Started by Sunara Ishi, February 04, 2013, 11:57:24 AM

Sunara Ishi

I know this idea has been brought up before. But to my knowledge, nothing has come of it.
I think a mini photo studio would be great for cosplayers and families visiting the con.

As a cosplayer, I have had many times where I never got a decent photo of my cosplay. I'm sure there's tons of other cosplayers in the same boat. Plus, I'm sure there are families that would love to take a commemorative photo at con. And if the cost is kept low/reasonable, I'm sure a lot of people would use it.

It could be staffed by staff photographers and computer technicians. Photos would be taken in front of a blue screen and the technicians would add backgrounds via computer software. There would be a set of backgrounds for cosplayers and families. There could also be cosplayers on staff for families that want to take a picture with a cosplayer. And the photos could be either sent out to an outside company, printed and sent to the customer's address or printed at con. Equipment probably could be rented; digital cameras, etc.
And since the set of backgrounds would be limited, it wouldn't take away from the professional con photographers.

I wouldn't mind staffing it along with others; I could either be a photographer or technician. I'm sure there are others that would love to help out.

Alternatively, it could be a place for professional con photographers to book space to take photos. Or even an outside studio could be hired for the event.

Is there support for this? Would it be feasible?
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Tsubasakissu

I like this idea.
Sac Anime did this exact thing this past con and it went over pretty well and got a lot of action.

djmonolith

I was thinking about this last year.  An "official" photo booth with quality photos.  It would also be cool if these images were posted somewhere.  I do spend time time taking photos of my favorite costumes and I always post them on flickr... but a place where cosplayers can have their photo taken with professional equipment in front of a blue screen would be so cool.

It seems like a no-brainer to me.
This is my signature.

Sunara Ishi

For posting the images online under a "fanime photo booth" section, it should probably be a check box/ permission thing. Because there will be people/ families that wouldn't want it posted.
If that is even done.

But I agree that there should be some way for people to get digital copies along with physical copies. Maybe a CD if the online posting isn't done. Maybe have a discount if the person wants to do online posting versus a CD? Or send links to the customer's email address using something like one-time urls/hash links?
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

M

It's on my todo list for FanimeCon 2014 - to have some kind of photo booth where cosplayers (or just friends) can go to get their picture taken. Ideally, it would be posted online free-of-charge with a small fee to get a printout (this idea isn't new). There still is time to do it this year, but with the construction taking up as much space as it did, it's better to wait and see what space we have for next year's convention.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Sunara Ishi

Ok. Good to know that something might come of this. Thanks for letting us know.
( On a side note, I was hoping the construction would be done for this year's con. )
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O

M

Quote from: Sunara Ishi on February 09, 2013, 10:40:24 AM
( On a side note, I was hoping the construction would be done for this year's con. )
You and all of the FanimeCon staff. ;)

No worries though as the convention center staff has been keeping us up-to-date with all the changes so that we don't have any sudden changes a week out or anything. We are excited about FanimeCon 2014, but we're going to push through and make 2013 the best we can!

djmonolith

Quote from: MPLe on February 09, 2013, 04:04:26 PM
Quote from: Sunara Ishi on February 09, 2013, 10:40:24 AM
You and all of the FanimeCon staff. ;)

No worries though as the convention center staff has been keeping us up-to-date with all the changes so that we don't have any sudden changes a week out or anything. We are excited about FanimeCon 2014, but we're going to push through and make 2013 the best we can!

Will the concourse be there?  I found that I spent a lot of time there last year... making friends, checking out the awesome Cosplay, etcetera...
This is my signature.

M

Quote from: djmonolith on February 10, 2013, 10:12:30 PM
Will the concourse be there?  I found that I spent a lot of time there last year... making friends, checking out the awesome Cosplay, etcetera...
The "concourse" is the really long walkway on the first and second floor. I assume that you are talking about something more specific?

djmonolith

Quote from: MPLe on February 11, 2013, 11:56:54 AM
Quote from: djmonolith on February 10, 2013, 10:12:30 PM
The "concourse" is the really long walkway on the first and second floor. I assume that you are talking about something more specific?

Yeah... the area at the top of the stairs, where the stage was, where the flyer table was... that area.
This is my signature.

M

Quote from: djmonolith on February 11, 2013, 05:56:36 PMYeah... the area at the top of the stairs, where the stage was, where the flyer table was... that area.
That area should not be changing. The stairs/escalators from the first floor that led to that area (on the second floor) is now gone though.

princesskitty18

Quote from: MPLe on February 11, 2013, 09:51:37 PM
Quote from: djmonolith on February 11, 2013, 05:56:36 PMYeah... the area at the top of the stairs, where the stage was, where the flyer table was... that area.
That area should not be changing. The stairs/escalators from the first floor that led to that area (on the second floor) is now gone though.

so then how would we be entering?
through the hotels or the side door near the outdoors convention parking lot?
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

M

Quote from: princesskitty18 on March 19, 2013, 10:50:35 AM
Quote from: MPLe on February 11, 2013, 09:51:37 PM

so then how would we be entering?
through the hotels or the side door near the outdoors convention parking lot?
Enter the second floor of the convention center? Through the stairs on the Marriott and Hilton side, as well as the elevators (I think two) elevators.