Plan: 21+ Meet & Greet

Started by echoshadow, February 05, 2013, 06:51:21 AM

YaoiCat

Again, they only list the specialty drinks on the menu.  That's how a lot of bars are, but you can ask the bartender for anything you want and I'm pretty sure the non-specialty drinks are cheaper.  I can't say for sure since I haven't been there,  but that's been my general experience from other bars.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: Kpmonkeygirl on March 06, 2013, 02:56:59 PM
Why spend so much on a drink? :S
You're paying for the experience at teh bar- not the liquor itself.
Bars make their money off charging at least double the norm. You can buy a 30pk of beer for $20, but a beer at a bar will cost you at least $4 at happy hour.

If we want to go the cheap way out, we're gonna have to buy before the con and someone will have to host. From what I gather, most people want hard liquor rather than beer... though beer would be cheaper.

Should we start a new poll as to "if" there becomes a hosting gathering, if there should be beer, liquor or both?

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

YaoiCat

I'd rather go to a bar than just drink in someone's hotel room like a bunch of underage kids though, lol. I know that's the cheapest way to go, but Fanime is a vacation, let's live a little!  If everyone's opposed to Tanq, there's gotta be something cheaper close by.  Something that's at least within easy walking distance of the con, I hope :)

AuroraDreamer

Quote from: YaoiCat on March 06, 2013, 03:44:00 PM
I'd rather go to a bar than just drink in someone's hotel room like a bunch of underage kids though, lol. I know that's the cheapest way to go, but Fanime is a vacation, let's live a little!  If everyone's opposed to Tanq, there's gotta be something cheaper close by.  Something that's at least within easy walking distance of the con, I hope :)
Eh I don't mind a small drink at a bar for vacation sake, just I know some people won't agree. I saw a few places on yelp, but I am not a big bar person, so I have no frame of reference of what is good. >.<

Lucifargundam

I'm indifferent as far as what goes on... but either way I'll be comming prepared.

bars near SJCC:

Dive Bar                     78 E Santa Clara St, San Jose, CA
(cheap HH and I know the owner)

San Jose Bar & Grill       85 S 2nd St
(more food)

Trials Pub                   265 N 1st St
(no tv)

The Loft Bar               90 S 2nd St
(cheap but HH ends at 7)

South First Billiards      420 S 1st St
(Billiards)

Fahrenheit Lounge/Bar  99 E San Fernando S
(Up-scale)

The Agenda               399 S 1st S
(Dance floor)

Personally, The Dive would be best... I'll talk to the owner if they'd have any specials during the duration of the con...

YaoiCat

I've never been out drinking in San Jose so I have no idea what the bars are like over there, lol.  I saw on google maps there's a British style pub nearby called Brittania Arms, it looked like a fun little place. Anyone been there?

How long would you say the walk is between Dive Bar and sjcc?

Kpmonkeygirl

I guess ya right on livin a lil, its a vacation.  :) But still, it would be nice to save. :/
""To move is to stir, and to be valiant is to stand; therefore,
if tou art mov'd, thou runst away."

Lucifargundam

Quote from: YaoiCat on March 06, 2013, 04:28:42 PM
For short people: 15 min
For tall people: 5-8 min
It's only like 4-5 blocks.

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/HJdR3

YaoiCat

How about everyone just orders an AMF?  Just pay for one drink and be good for the rest of the night, hahaha.

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: Lucifargundam on March 06, 2013, 04:50:26 PM
Quote from: YaoiCat on March 06, 2013, 04:28:42 PM
For short people: 15 min
For tall people: 5-8 min
It's only like 4-5 blocks.

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/HJdR3

Lol!
""To move is to stir, and to be valiant is to stand; therefore,
if tou art mov'd, thou runst away."

foxyorange

I am down for awesome 21+ m&g! Please inform me when things are getting together for planning :3 I am down to contribute some money as well, so everyone can enjoy themselves haha...well maybe a little money ^^

Orange

Lucifargundam

Quote from: YaoiCat on March 06, 2013, 04:59:17 PM
How about everyone just orders an AMF?  Just pay for one drink and be good for the rest of the night, hahaha.
Some people need more than just one AMF to get to intended point ;P

Quote from: foxyorange on March 06, 2013, 05:55:12 PM
I am down for awesome 21+ m&g! Please inform me when things are getting together for planning :3 I am down to contribute some money as well, so everyone can enjoy themselves haha...well maybe a little money ^^
Pay for sake bombs? :P

foxyorange

Quote from: Lucifargundam on March 06, 2013, 06:50:05 PM

Quote from: foxyorange on March 06, 2013, 05:55:12 PM
Pay for sake bombs? :P

As a prideful Japanese man of course we shall drink by the means of our new found friendship hahaha (hearty laugh) of course i do have a limitation on how many i am willing to put down :3

echoshadow

I made plans to be in San Jose on the 30th. So I'll start the recon soon. Feel free to join.

The m&g is planed for some time, on, or past 10:00 pm . So any happy hours maybe long gone by then. Also if you plant to eat at the bars the kitchen may or may not be open that late. If it is open then expect a very long wait for food. That's how bars around here work, it may or may not be any different in San Jose. If you do want to eat I recommend eating first before we head out. Bar food is sometimes more expensive than the drinks.

I'll see how it goes.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

foxyorange

Quote from: echoshadow on March 07, 2013, 03:28:25 AM
I made plans to be in San Jose on the 30th. So I'll start the recon soon. Feel free to join.

The m&g is planed for some time, on, or past 10:00 pm . So any happy hours maybe long gone by then. Also if you plant to eat at the bars the kitchen may or may not be open that late. If it is open then expect a very long wait for food. That's how bars around here work, it may or may not be any different in San Jose. If you do want to eat I recommend eating first before we head out. Bar food is sometimes more expensive than the drinks.

I'll see how it goes.

Will take it as a consideration sire! (brain computing...) also if i remember correctly iguanas are opened until 3 am on weekdays (including saturday morning at 3am). Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this information. 

-Orange

royjovero

What are the thoughts on maybe going to 4th St Pizza? They have pizza by the slice for the hungry, a full bar, and beers are reasonably priced.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: royjovero on March 07, 2013, 08:57:50 PM
What are the thoughts on maybe going to 4th St Pizza?
4th st pizza:::::
thurs:  $8 budLt pictures
fri:      $7.5 pizza/pint combo
sat:    $10 allyoucaneat slices/ $14 blue moon pictures
----------------------------------------------------------
The Dive::::::
sun $4 domestic bottles, $4 drafts, $4 well drinks.
POWER HOUR 10pm to 11pm: $2 wells, $2 PBR Draft
fri $6 Grey Goose, Bombay and Maker's Mark before 9pm
sat  $4 drafts and $5 wells from 4pm to 8pm

echoshadow

Wow 4th St Pizza sounds great. Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to check it out.

Lucifargundam

The owner of The Dive wants to know more about the details(time, how many, etc.) before she organizes anything.

echoshadow

We are not close to enough to make a decision to just one bar. I really don't want to make promises to the bar owner just in case it doesn't happen or we change location I don't want be rude like that.

So for now I'll just add it the list for the recon run. I might just be in San Jose this 16th so we see how it goes.

Any other places you want me to check out just post them up. The more places the better chance we have to find a nice place.