Plan: 21+ Meet & Greet

Started by echoshadow, February 05, 2013, 06:51:21 AM

echoshadow

@princesskitty, no worries it is coming long nicely.
@tinyhotdog, glad to hear, see you there.

I kind wish there where two voting options seeing as there more interest in more than one bar.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

keitoghostie

Depending on the day/location I might come! All my friends who normally go to Fanime are still under 21 so I'd love to be with a group.

limDsage

My friend and I will meet you guys up wherever the final decision is. :D

Twitter: @limDsage
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/sicse7en
Youtube gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/limDsage
PSN: sicse7en

renalcul

I've always kinda wanted to just sit down and chat with people at the Marriot's Bar, now i may actually have some people to talk with.

rottenrosen

I'd like to join but it depends on the time/date!
This will be my first Fanime and I only have a few friends going but would like to meet you guys!
I'll stay in touch, but count me in!

rottenrosen

Also-
I don't mind where we go  :D
Drinks, then food or the other other way around?
Doesn't matter to me!

echoshadow

Sonds great fellas, I think Saturday night will be a good time. But that will depens once the schedule comes out. And by the looks of it will come out the days before Fanime starts.

NancyJade

Meow, I'll confess, I only read page 1 and the last page, so I don't know what kind of info has been flying around.

My take:

- Saturday is awesome bc that's the day where there are the most people attending Con. We could always make an annoucement or have a sign about the m&g, because, like someone mentioned, not too many people are on these forums.
- I feel the same way with whoever it was that said they're used to SF drink prices, same here. I don't feel like it's that expensive a the hotel bars, plus it's super close. But that's just me. Although the Bar is pretty small.
- Best nightlife is SJ would be at Santana Row, but that's ways away from downtown; It's probably best to stick to downtown where people can just get to by walking
- Room Party, we had a room party at the Fairmont (non-Fanime related) and I think we had about 20+ people in the room? Probably more like 30, but I wasn't really keeping count lol
- Bar....are we looking for a more food & chill bar, or for a club?  I noticed you didn't list any club or lounges so probably not those lol
- Let's see...Dive Bar is fun. The billard place isn't bad. Pizza one is more for grabbing a beer, it's a bit small so if we have a sizable group it'll take up the whole place (which would be awesome). Flames is a bar, but it's more of a restaurant than a bar by the library (breakfast is amazing there). I like Gordon Biersch...for my own bias reasons (mini desert shooters hehehe), it's a beer and American food place. Los Gatos Brewing Co is similar to Gordon Biesch, the whole brew and food thing. San Jose Bar & Grill is more of the Bar scene on the weekends, and they have sofas! LOL there you go, a lil blurb about everything.
If everyone just wants to grab a drink and get to know each other, then I think going to the hotel lounges work the best. If people want food and drinks then everything else (I particularly like the dive bar and the last 3).

Whee!!

tinyhotdog

No need to make this overly complicated. I think Tanq is the best solution for the meet up. I mean, the point isn't to necessarily just eat/drink but rather to get to hang out together :)

NancyJade

Well I think the OP provided a number of options bc he/she was considering

1) Most people will probably want food
2) People's budget

which I personally think was thoughtful of them.

The Tanq is great in that it's right there, so less walking around for people in elaborate outfits (yay!).

The thing though is that it's really small. I'm not sure how many people are coming to this? But when ~20 friends and I dropped by after a game, it was pretty cramped. And by cramped I mean that place is more "a few lonely people from up stairs chilling by themselves at the bar, hoping to meet another lonely soul for the night" ish, than for a gathering. We just ended taking up all the side lounge benches and the closer seats at the bar, provided some of us just sat/laid on other people...yeah my friends are kind of wacky haha.

The Fairmont lounge nearby is a lot more spacious, but they might be having a music event on Saturday where the middle of the lounge becomes a dance floor, at which point I just get way too distracted to listen to anyone. It's so comfy there, you end up just wanting to sit, enjoy your drink, take in the light jazz, and not really walk around to meet anyone.

::shrugs:: I actually don't mind where ever you guys decide to go. I mean it's downtown for God's sake, on a weekend. Clubs and bars Galore. Heck we could all head over to Singlebarrel if anything haha.

echoshadow

Quote from: NancyJade on April 25, 2013, 11:46:34 AM
Well I think the OP provided a number of options bc he/she was considering

1) Most people will probably want food
2) People's budget

Quote from: tinyhotdog on April 25, 2013, 10:54:40 AM
No need to make this overly complicated. I think Tanq is the best solution for the meet up. I mean, the point isn't to necessarily just eat/drink but rather to get to hang out together :)

Well....I kind of just thought the point was to drink and socialize, I really didn't plan to make it an eat & drink meet up, since it becomes a bit of a hassle ordering food.

From my past exprience with AX's 21+ m&g, once we had a fill of liquor then we kind of go with the flow, if people want to eat we'll go eat, if people want to go dancing we'll go dancing, if people wanted to bar crawl we went crawling.

But till then well cross that brigde when we come to it.

NancyJade

Freaking BYOB man, I'll be in the parking lot with my trunk full of booze. Everything's mobile these days lol.

JK. Seems like I'll be working (although OP doesn't think it's work) quite a bit on Saturday, so I might be too busy to go. If you go to Tanq, get the fish drink! It's awesome.

My non-fanime friends are visiting that weekend. Chances are we're hitting SB late at night on Saturday for me to channel my 1920's Flapper vibes. If you don't know what to do late at night in SJ, come find us. I'll be the one staring at the hot waitresses/bartenders :D

YaoiCat

I think the most important thing for me is being able to easily stumble back to my room in case I drink a little too much, lol.  I'm a bit of a lightweight.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: YaoiCat on April 26, 2013, 01:47:25 PM
I think the most important thing for me is being able to easily stumble back to my room in case I drink a little too much, lol.
Then you'd have to stay with Tanq :/ so that if you're staying at the marriot- all you have to do is crawl to the elevator.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

mr.shikinami

Quote from: YaoiCat on April 26, 2013, 01:47:25 PM
I think the most important thing for me is being able to easily stumble back to my room in case I drink a little too much, lol.  I'm a bit of a lightweight.

I don't drink at all, so I can be a designated walker/driver!

djmonolith

Hey everyone... if you want to drink, just stay at Tanq... it is a perfectly fine place, nice bartenders, and it is right there! 
This is my signature.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: djmonolith on April 28, 2013, 10:36:35 PM
Hey everyone... if you want to drink, just stay at Tanq... it is a perfectly fine place, nice bartenders, and it is right there!
Some people are trying to get cheaper drinks :/

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

echoshadow

Quote from: NancyJade on April 26, 2013, 10:12:09 AM
Freaking BYOB man, I'll be in the parking lot with my trunk full of booze. Everything's mobile these days lol.

JK. Seems like I'll be working (although OP doesn't think it's work) quite a bit on Saturday, so I might be too busy to go. If you go to Tanq, get the fish drink! It's awesome.

My non-fanime friends are visiting that weekend. Chances are we're hitting SB late at night on Saturday for me to channel my 1920's Flapper vibes. If you don't know what to do late at night in SJ, come find us. I'll be the one staring at the hot waitresses/bartenders :D
LOL, I did thought about a byob party but..seems like we'll be having a few minors in our room or something like that, so I'll just have to wait and see till con time.

And I do have a name besides "OP", and yes I don't think its work....since you have fun while doing it, and fyi everyone stares at any hot waitress/bartenders.

There is still a few more weeks till the con so we still have time to plan it out. Just keep checking back or post more suggestions or ideas.

NancyJade

Quote from: echoshadow on April 29, 2013, 12:01:23 AM
LOL, I did thought about a byob party but..seems like we'll be having a few minors in our room or something like that, so I'll just have to wait and see till con time.

And I do have a name besides "OP", and yes I don't think its work....since you have fun while doing it, and fyi everyone stares at any hot waitress/bartenders.

There is still a few more weeks till the con so we still have time to plan it out. Just keep checking back or post more suggestions or ideas.

But I like calling you OP (..maybe bc I don't know your name)!! LOL

Is it really fun tho...I just run around constantly. But I'm a people person, so I love meeting new people :) I would say it's perhaps more fun than my job at Stanford, working in the lab and with cancer patients, but I'm a science soul, so I love that too. Unfortunately, not that much talking and the other "young" person who works there is about 20 yrs older than me. And with the data analysis work I just do that at home while munching on cupcakes, yelling happy thoughts at squirrels. And then modeling is a lot of long hours of posing, smiling, and walking down the runway. God, what am I doing with my life? Hahahaha

lalalalalalalalalalalallalalalala

~MASSIVE SECRET REVEAL~ Oh also, I don't drink. I like to stay sober to keep stalkers at bay, mostly because if I was intoxicated I would prolly hurt them...bad. Yeah....everyone has their angry, bloodlust, vicious demons right? ::smiles::

I feel like a lot of people are leaning towards Tanq? Well the upside is it's right there. Drinks are a bit pricey, so just get one drink during the m&g, and then afterwards, if you still want to drink, migrate to a bar (or room) with your new friends in toll.

AngelWings

Nice! I have no idea how I hadn't thought of this before. Depending on scheduling I may or not be able to make it and hopefully bring a few people with me ;) as long as you all don't mind a few more?