Artist Alley Question

Started by Alejandro Cuba, February 09, 2013, 10:47:28 PM

Oniko

I honestly dont care is it's $80... please dont shoot me!!  But I dont think they'll raise it.

but yes lottery would be HORRIBLE.  my table is basically my bread and butter for cons.  If I dont get a table I simply dont go.  It's not in my budget if I cant get some money back.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

chibimonster

Quote from: Oniko on March 08, 2013, 08:59:50 AM
I honestly dont care is it's $80... please dont shoot me!!  But I dont think they'll raise it.

but yes lottery would be HORRIBLE.  my table is basically my bread and butter for cons.  If I dont get a table I simply dont go.  It's not in my budget if I cant get some money back.

I'm fortunate to live just 20 min away from Fanime, so I don't have to get a hotel and I would go even if I didn't get a table.

I hate lotteries regardless because I think first come first serve is more fair and more professional. Instead of relying on your preparations/ability to fill things out quickly, you have to leave everything up to chance and it's very likely that someone who is less prepared (and therefore less deserving IMO) will get a table instead.

I imagine the delays must be pretty bad for those whose attendance depends on whether or not they get a table. Have you bought a badge yet or waited as prices rose?

Quote from: LiL Moon on February 28, 2013, 02:31:57 PM
Hmm, I don't know if AX has more tables than Fanime. Perhaps about the same or more. AX is crazier since we are grouped with the dealers hall which is like 10 times the size of Fanime's. Fanime is more organized with the AA being separate from the dealers. That's not to say it's a bad thing. It's just a different environment. I wouldn't know about commissions since I don't take any at cons. You'd be surprised though how many people think plush artists can take commissions on site. O.o Like we got an invisible sewing machine and unlimited fabric stock behind us. Best thing at any con is to limit commissions and take breaks. Don't kill yourself for money.

I'm super excited for AX! But I'm also super paranoid that AX tables sold out before December and I'm actually on the waitlist. Although I'm 80% sure that if I could actually pay for a table I have one. Is this right? (I'd ask this on the AX forum, but it's kinda dead).

Hachimitsu

no it wasn't..
last year was $60 still, and I know this because me and my partner only split the difference!

LiL Moon

Quote from: chibimonster on March 08, 2013, 12:41:00 PM
I'm super excited for AX! But I'm also super paranoid that AX tables sold out before December and I'm actually on the waitlist. Although I'm 80% sure that if I could actually pay for a table I have one. Is this right? (I'd ask this on the AX forum, but it's kinda dead).
Like you said, you answered your own question. If you were able to buy a table, you have a table.

Oniko

Chibimonster: I have already bought my badge and the hotel room.  But a room can be canceled and I honestly would probably give up my $50 instead of the hundreds I will spend on hotel, food, and lets face it the goodies in the dealers room.
Its not only a matter of spending money but also I'm not making money, going to a Con is time off from work so I'm not making money. That is why a table it so important to me.  It's not just fanime, it's kinda the rule I follow for all Cons to to keep an eye on my bank account.

anyways.... lottery bad *cave man stomp*
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

chibimonster

Quote from: Oniko on March 08, 2013, 02:34:59 PM
Chibimonster: I have already bought my badge and the hotel room.  But a room can be canceled and I honestly would probably give up my $50 instead of the hundreds I will spend on hotel, food, and lets face it the goodies in the dealers room.
Its not only a matter of spending money but also I'm not making money, going to a Con is time off from work so I'm not making money. That is why a table it so important to me.  It's not just fanime, it's kinda the rule I follow for all Cons to to keep an eye on my bank account.

anyways.... lottery bad *cave man stomp*

I didn't think about work. I'm still in high school, and I've been so busy with my classes (taking 4 AP classes hasn't been great for my health) that I don't have a job. I guess you could say that selling art is my job at the moment, although it's a pretty sporadic and not very profitable job.
I'll be a pre-med student next year, so balancing cons and school will be an even bigger challenge. Do you find that going to cons while having a full-time job is extremely difficult, or do things tend to work out ok?

Quote from: LiL Moon on March 08, 2013, 02:21:54 PM
Quote from: chibimonster on March 08, 2013, 12:41:00 PM
Like you said, you answered your own question. If you were able to buy a table, you have a table.

Yay! I guess I'll be seeing you at AX, then. :)