Artist Alley - Are we being ignored?

Started by phr34kish, February 19, 2013, 11:26:32 AM

phr34kish

I really don't usually like to be the one to stir the pot, but this waiting game is getting ridiculous. Especially when there is no communication being offered in return. Yes, I understand that the staffers have full time jobs, personal lives, some things come up that can't be accounted for, and construction at the convention center comes with delays, but there comes a time when waiting becomes ridiculous. It's not just waiting either, we're not being given ANY answer. The Twitter is going unanswered, the Facebook groups for both the con itself AND Artist Alley are unanswered, and there's no answer here on the forums. Even the "Soon" or "Thank you for your patience" stall tactic has gone away.

This time last year, AA had already opened (1/28), confirmed (2/8) and payments were being completed. We're now almost a month later than 2012, and we have heard nothing. It almost begs the question if Fanime is even going to host an Artist Alley at all?

When there was an uproar about no Pre-Reg, or Hotel-Reg, you staff made a wonderful blog post and an apology:
Quote"It is not a delay that should ever happen, and it should go without saying that we will continue to try our best to make it up to everyone."
Yes, you also say not every post gets answered and they're all read, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks it's about time we had SOME answer? Especially since there are less than 3 months before Fanime starts?

If you meant what you said, and you're really trying to make it up to us for all these delays, can someone, ANYONE please tell us what is going on?

chibimonster

The delay might be because they're trying to move the AA into another (bigger) exhibit hall. This means that they'd have to come up with a new floor plan, get it approved by the fire marshal, etc. This takes months. Also, AA registration has gone up as late as mid-March in past years.

This being said, I would like a little more communication. I'm aware that the AA isn't the highest priority for the convention, but a timeline would be nice. I don't mind that it's less than 3 months before Fanime (I'm a bit of a last-minute person by nature), but I can see how other people have more going on in their lives than I do and need to plan very far ahead. Does anyone have even an estimate of when registration will go up?

I have a bigger problem with the FAQ/rules not being updated. I know that there was some drama about fanart vs original art last year, and I'm worried that Fanime might start a 50/50 rule. I'd like to know this ahead of time because if there is going to be a 50/50 rule, I have a lot of original art to finish. Also FAQs/rules about helpers would be nice since I'd like to know exactly how many "minions" I'm allowed to have.

phr34kish

Quote from: chibimonster on February 19, 2013, 12:50:19 PM
The delay might be because they're trying to move the AA into another (bigger) exhibit hall. This means that they'd have to come up with a new floor plan, get it approved by the fire marshal, etc. This takes months. Also, AA registration has gone up as late as mid-March in past years.

I understand delays, as I mentioned in my original post. The actual time frame of WHEN we register isn't the problem either. Like I've said in other areas, the problem is the lack of communication. We have no word. Nothing. Even if they don't have AA reg up until the day before the con, if they told us that, then people would know what to expect, and would be able to plan accordingly. I personally don't have issues with long distances, because I live in Sacramento. But someone who has to fly in from say, New York? Or Florida? And they count on their AA table paying for part of their travel expenses? The longer we go without any information, the more costly it becomes (hotel room rates, air fare, last minute product production, etc.)

The F.A.Q.'s fall under the same category. Communication. How are we to know what to expect, and what to plan for, if no one will communicate with us?

Many of us are just looking for an answer. ANY answer. And nothing has been offered. :( I love AA. And I respect that the Staff want to make it as best an experience for us all as possible. (And it's SO appreciated!!) But a heads up, or just some sort of notice that we're being heard? They know we're worried and they're working on it?

It's not that much to ask for, is it?

chibimonster

Quote from: phr34kish on February 19, 2013, 01:50:45 PM
Many of us are just looking for an answer. ANY answer. And nothing has been offered. :( I love AA. And I respect that the Staff want to make it as best an experience for us all as possible. (And it's SO appreciated!!) But a heads up, or just some sort of notice that we're being heard? They know we're worried and they're working on it?

It's not that much to ask for, is it?

I definitely think we're being reasonable. Maybe the AA isn't as high of a priority for the staff as it should be (although this does depend on opinions). According to Fanime's website poll from 2012, the AA is the second most popular attraction. Tables sell out in under 15 minutes. With the amount of people interested in the Artist alley, it's surprising that more info hasn't gone up sooner. I know we're not the only ones who are worried about the delays. People on /cgl/ have been complaining about it, and people have been asking around on the FB group.

I'm really curious about the reasons for this delay/lack of communication, actually. What's going on behind the scenes?

ewu

There has been a steady stream of info going out on the AA facebook. Not much action the the forums, but I have tried to answer them myself. Email responses are going out, but slowly. Staff busy with Fanime and their own lives.

Possibility of new location, staff shifts, and delays in other Fanime aspects have pushed AA back. With a new location in the mix it includes updating the agreement, reevaluating price points, updating the software, and logistics.

So, communication has been happening, but maybe in ways that you have been on the receiving end...until now:)

Answering what I can, but lots of things won't come up or be public until its finalized.

Not to light the candles to my own pity party, but studying 10 or 12 hours a day for the last two months and jumping on the forums is what I call a "break". Unwise, I know but here I am:)
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

yojambo

Thank you so much for the information.
I would like to offer a hand in helping you respond on facebook, forms and so on.
Not a full staff position but, just help with passing along information. You never have to give me "sensitive" information, just enough to help keep everyone clam and ready for the convention.
I seem to have the time to look at the pages everyday so I thought I would try and be more useful.
The only thing I would ask is that I am not a member of staff at the convention, since I would like to to be an artist at AA.
You guys seem really overwhelmed this year, I would like to help the best I can.

Hachimitsu

I think the best solution is to wait and see and continue to work on refining your artworks / Stuff to sell.
The last time this has happened involving with a topic similar to this was around 2010, and one of my friends was BANNED from artist alley!

chibimonster

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on February 19, 2013, 07:30:50 PM
I think the best solution is to wait and see and continue to work on refining your artworks / Stuff to sell.
The last time this has happened involving with a topic similar to this was around 2010, and one of my friends was BANNED from artist alley!

Wait seriously?! Is it alright for me to ask for a little more detail?
I don't think I'm out of line, but if this is actually against the rules, I'd like to avoid making a bad thing worse.

phr34kish

Quote from: ewu on February 19, 2013, 02:59:41 PM
There has been a steady stream of info going out on the AA facebook. Not much action the the forums, but I have tried to answer them myself. Email responses are going out, but slowly. Staff busy with Fanime and their own lives.

Possibility of new location, staff shifts, and delays in other Fanime aspects have pushed AA back. With a new location in the mix it includes updating the agreement, reevaluating price points, updating the software, and logistics.

So, communication has been happening, but maybe in ways that you have been on the receiving end...until now:)

Answering what I can, but lots of things won't come up or be public until its finalized.

Not to light the candles to my own pity party, but studying 10 or 12 hours a day for the last two months and jumping on the forums is what I call a "break". Unwise, I know but here I am:)

Thank you, and yes. I do want to clarify it's no hard feelings toward anyone in particular. It's really a general frustration. I know that you've been around to ask what few questions have been posted on the forums as best you can. As far as the Facebook accounts, we may have to agree to disagree. I've been following both of them rather religiously, and other than a PSA about emails for seller's permits, the only other "staff" contribution have been basic answers for things such as clarifying registration from last year or changing the name of the Artist Alley group. If there's been a steadier flow of information or what to expect, it's been rather hard to find. :(

I won't draw it out any more, but I couldn't just sit without at least letting my concerns be heard; especially when I know I'm not the only one to have them. I love Fanime and the AA, but I know in the same position I'd want to know if my members were concerned.

Good luck with your study! (I know I couldn't keep my nose in a book that long.)

yojambo

I am just offering help, how is that going to get me kicked out?
Whatever, fine forget I offered anything.

ewu

Quote from: yojambo on February 19, 2013, 09:20:39 PM
I am just offering help, how is that going to get me kicked out?
Whatever, fine forget I offered anything.

I think they would appreciate your help! AND, your comments, concerns, and maybe even complaints are very welcome and encouraged..and by no means punished. Please email AA at artistalleyATfanimeDOTcom....the logistics may make it not possible, but who knows until you try!

Thanks!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Oniko

Wll glad I scrolled down to see that settled before typing :)
They have mentioned this same question in other little places either by staff or other members.  One thing about Fanime, they dont post about something till they are ready.  And theres that whole construction thing going on. 

I know time is important to a lot of people but thankfully you can cancel a hotel room.
And I heard you doint need to buy your badge till you sign up for AA as well.
So lets hang tight.  There is no way Fanime would have it's con without AA, it's too cwrod pleasing.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

yojambo

octorok

Quote from: ewu on February 19, 2013, 02:59:41 PM

I would love for a staffmember to relay whatever AA facebook info there is to the forum people. OR, at the very least, post a link to the AA fb. I'm having trouble finding it on googer.

ewu

Quote from: octorok on March 17, 2013, 03:37:05 PM
I would love for a staffmember to relay whatever AA facebook info there is to the forum people. OR, at the very least, post a link to the AA fb. I'm having trouble finding it on googer.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/198025690228018/

enjoy!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom