safety at night

Started by portato, February 24, 2013, 07:06:19 PM

portato

Is it safe for a lone teenage girl to be walking from the convention center to the Fairmont at like 12 AM?
My friends are staying at the Hilton, and I don't want to force them to walk me back to my hotel room.
It's only like one giant block away, but I'm really paranoid, especially about drunks/creepers.

Thanks  :)

chifunii

I can't really say it's safe for a lone anyone to be walking around at midnight...However, there'll still be some con-goers wandering at that time, so it won't be just you on the street or anything. If there's an event your going to that runs until midnight, chances are there'll be people who have to get back to the Fairmont at the same time too--Can't vouch for everyone, you can try asking if you can walk with them. Or walk in front of them...stay alert, etc.
FanimeCon attendee: 2008-

Firemage1000

I wouldn't encourage walking alone at night, but San Jose is pretty safe as far as crime goes. You will be fine as long as you are aware and alert. Also 12am is not that late and there will be plenty of people streaming too and from the surrounding area at that time. If you really are that concerned then just ask if you can walk with some people or make new friends during the day.
2016 Cosplays:
Kuvira the Great Uniter  -- Legend of Korra
Ferid Bathory -- Owari no Seraph
Irimi Kaya -- Tokyo Ghoul
Erica -- Gangsta.

Jesse Uppercut

In the general hotel block area, it's not too bad. The walk from Convention Center to the Fairmont is fairly safe given the circumstances and the area at that time. I would be more concerned when walking across the street toward the St. Claire Hotel and beyond. The walk across the street is perfectly fine and the St. Claire Hotel is a classy place however it's when you walk past that area. Once you pass the restaraunt "Original Joe's" in my opinion, the crowd can become rambunctious. This is because the area is full of fast food places and eateries, popular with the downtown crowd after a night of bar hopping or clubbing and San Jose State students looking to kill time or hang out in the late night.

It's not what I would call exactly unsafe but rather, to put it nicely, there are typically alot of gentleman callers that occupy that area who are rather boisterous when attempting to compliment the female persuasion. I would recommend the buddy system whenever possible while walking around late at night but there should be quite a few of your peers, just like you, looking to get a bite to eat or find their hotel. As previously stated, remain alert and I would not worry too much.
Follow your dreams, work hard, practice and persevere.

royjovero

Relax. It's safe. Just don't walk in the park. Stick to the sidewalks and you'll be fine.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: portato on February 24, 2013, 07:06:19 PM
Is it safe for a lone teenage girl to be walking from the convention center to the Fairmont at like 12 AM?
It's safe so long as you dont go like to SJSU... Mind you, there might be guys who will try to hit on you(happend to my neice last year) -but it's safe so long as you stay our course and dont go anywhere other than the general vinicity. You could always try to make friends who go to the same hotel as you.

You'll be fine :]

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

DangerHeart

Agree on being more aware when you walk further away from the con center. I stayed at the Ramada one year and was heading back around 2AM, my friends weren't answering their phones and I was really hesitant about walking back on my own. Luckily a very nice Rover who was off his shift offered to walk me back even though he was staying at the Hilton. I wish I remembered his name!

portato

Thanks everyone   :D

I just needed some reassurance that I won't be mugged or have some creepers following/hollering at me or something lol. I walk really fast when I'm alone, so I think I'll be okay. I won't be taking any shady shortcuts :P

foxyorange

Quote from: portato on February 25, 2013, 04:15:53 PM
Thanks everyone   :D

I just needed some reassurance that I won't be mugged or have some creepers following/hollering at me or something lol. I walk really fast when I'm alone, so I think I'll be okay. I won't be taking any shady shortcuts :P

if you need assistance my roommates will indeed be there!

otakuya

Be careful of the Jack-in-the-Box and McDonalds area at night (or even during the day). Thats where some bums and stuff hang out near. I got heckled out of there from walking by in cosplay one year; not a good experience.

Everywhere else near the convention center is ok. Especially if you have a room at Hyatt or Marriott where you don't have to go outside

Tonde_Miso

Quote from: Otakuya on March 03, 2013, 05:29:57 PM
Be careful of the Jack-in-the-Box and McDonalds area at night (or even during the day). Thats where some bums and stuff hang out near. I got heckled out of there from walking by in cosplay one year; not a good experience.

Everywhere else near the convention center is ok. Especially if you have a room at Hyatt or Marriott where you don't have to go outside

Even during the day, yes. I've been approached in that area multiple times by people wanting money and clearly not in their right minds. But I've never had that problem closer to the convention and there should still be other people around at that time. Maybe find other con-goers and stick close to them for as far as they're going in the same direction. I always make it a rule for people that stay in my hotel room that no one walks alone, but that's just me being paranoid. One night three years ago myself and one other girl walked entirely all the way around the convention center and then back to the Fairmont, and we weren't bothered by anyone.

Pounce!

So the walk is from the Hilton to the Fairmont.

Hilton-Marriott, walk the safe concourse inside, exit Marriott entrance
Marriott-St. claire, keep in eyesight and lighting of the parking staff
Path from hotels-Fairmont, walk alongside the street parked cars to see and avoid people in the dark, keep alert for the duration of a few walking minutes
You've reached the brightly lit open area Fairmont/restaurant area with hotel staff and low floor rooms within earshout.

As always coverup/dress mundane if u can, hold cell in hand, and be within help if people are heading the same direction, don't appear vulnerable.

EJAY420

stay with someone. I would not recommend walking alone. shit goes down in downtown! be smart! be safe!
Most Impressive.

royjovero

Quote from: EJAY420 on March 08, 2013, 07:54:14 PM
stay with someone. I would not recommend walking alone. shit goes down in downtown! be smart! be safe!
You're overreacting. The general vicinity around the con center is safe as long as you stick to the sidewalks. If you have to venture closer to SJSU, you may be in trouble. But all you have to really do is walk with a purpose.

Andy

You'll be fine; no one is going to try really hard to get some tang on the street. Besides, there are a ton of con goers out at that time, and I bet a couple of white knights as well so you'll always have someone have your back.

Andy
Pro, as in: Accomplished, educated, perservering, passionate, precise, great, heroic, better than the rest, pokemon master. Jank, as in: weak, undernourished, failure, disgrace, uneducated, smellys like fish.

SpiritOfKairi

I have to agree with royjovero and Andy here.  Yes not all of San Jose is safe, but I feel some of the other posters are making a bigger deal out of things than need be.  The original post was about going from the con center to the Fairmont, right?  In that case, I don't see why you would have any problems.  The streets all VERY well-lit in that area, there are usually always at least a few other con-goers out at the same time, and the hotel is only 2 crosswalks away.  Yes, sometimes there's a homeless person sleeping in a doorway by the hotel, but don't bother them and they won't bother you.  Now if we were talking about walking several blocks away to a rowdy nightclub in the area, then you definitely shouldn't head in there alone.  But for the Fairmont, you don't need to worry.

Oniko

I wouldnt think a young teenage girl walking alone in the city anywhere is safe.  I dont think you'd get jumped or hurt in this particular area, but doesnt mean some people might not try to trick you to get off the streets.  Just be smart.  I remember being young, guys trying to talk me into hanging out with them.  They might have honestly been really nice guys, but alone at night I'm going to keep walking.
Yes it is fairly safe, though last year I did see a big buff man almost get into a fight with a convention goer outside the burger joint. Nothing violent happened, but the man was sure yelling a lot as the guy was trying to walk away.
I would just ask your friends to walk you, better safe than sorry.  It's not that far anyways and your friends should understand and be concerned for your safety.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Mi Feng

You'll be fine, at 12 there are still a lot of con goers and the streets are well lit. Stay on the sidewalk and it'll all be good.

Lamune

How safe would be the walk from the Greyhound Station to the SJCC? Would it be fine during the morning and evening hours? Would there be a route that is recommended (or just take a taxi to be safe)?

keitoghostie

Quote from: Lamune on March 13, 2013, 10:29:24 PM
How safe would be the walk from the Greyhound Station to the SJCC? Would it be fine during the morning and evening hours? Would there be a route that is recommended (or just take a taxi to be safe)?
It's fairly safe! I'm not entirely sure about the immediate area but my friend and I walked from the Pizza Chicago nearby to the convention center around 10pm about a month ago and it was not at all scary or problematic.  Morning/evening should be even more comfortable.

As far as routes go, I think your best bet would be to head down San Fernando towards Market and then head towards San Carlos to the convention center (which is showing up as the first result for walking directions on Google Maps)!
Market St. is great because that's where the Fairmont is, so it's kind of an extension to the convention premises in that people will be more likely to understand what's going on.

But yeah it all should be pretty safe so I wouldn't worry about that too much! 

Edit: As far as taking a taxi over I don't think it should be necessary unless you're carrying a lot with you (it's about a half-mile walk). HOWEVER, if you're arriving on a weekday, there is a free shuttle provided by VTA that runs straight to the convention center from there and from Diridon Station roughly every 15 minutes. On weekdays and Saturdays, the 81 westbound runs from there to the convention center as well, for $2 each way or $6 for a day pass.
I ride VTA fairly often and I've never felt threatened while riding it so I think it's a very viable option!