Swap Meet Questions

Started by keitoghostie, February 28, 2013, 11:26:31 AM

M

Hi. Please do not speculate about prices or changes. We are looking at releasing more information as soon as we finalize it. Speculation is how rumors begin and I've already had a few people message me if any of the speculation in this thread is fact.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Eurobeat King

We're at the 6 week mark until Fanime..  :-\
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

Hachimitsu

Quote from: MPLe on April 10, 2013, 09:00:16 PM
Hi. Please do not speculate about prices or changes. We are looking at releasing more information as soon as we finalize it. Speculation is how rumors begin and I've already had a few people message me if any of the speculation in this thread is fact.

NOT TO WORRY I WENT TO FANIME CON MEETUP ^ ^! and i was lonely ZT_T!...
now I kinda uhm giving up on being a staff and just be a regular person v_v... It took about 6 of my friends to convinced me its not worth it v_v and I should be proud of what i enjoy on the convention!...

eurobeat, I felt like I met you before.. are you the guy who dresess as ryosuke and cosplayed as an initial D character?

Sorry if I ask this but i get mixed up with one guy and the photographer! (short term memory here.. really apologized further! )

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on April 12, 2013, 02:34:11 AMeurobeat, I felt like I met you before.. are you the guy who dresess as ryosuke and cosplayed as an initial D character?

Yes, that's me.  I might bring back the FC3S one more time this Fanime.

Back on-topic, it takes time for me to prepare everything that I'm going to sell for the Swap Meet, and once I confirm that I have a spot, that gives me incentive to get the items ready.  This year, as it gets closer to Fanime, the less incentive I have to do it this year since it's taking so long for pre-reg. to open up.  :P

Anon

Same boat as eurobeat king here. I live in Sacramento, box up the goods and ship them out to my SJ local friend to hold until the swap meet. tbh the swap meet is all my friends and I really attend fanime for, for the past almost half decade. Not having any information on if the event is set in stone makes me hesitant to even register for the convention itself

djmonolith

I live minutes from the SJ Convention center.  I will be attending the con all weekend and was considering doing the swap meet as I have hundreds of anime figures that I can sell/trade.  But the information about the swap meet seems a bit confusing to me.  It also seems like I am not the only one...
This is my signature.

warbearer

Hopefully the swap meet registration does not open up too late.

Eurobeat King

If they open pre-reg. for the Swap Meet before the one-month mark before Fanime, I'll be happy.   ;D

If they open pre-reg. by the two-week mark before Fanime, I'll be frantic but relieved.   :P

Angelx624

Is the swap meet gonna be badged or unbadged on Thursday? As in, do we need a badge on Thursday to check it out??

Hope it's ok if I ask this here. ^^;
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Angelx624 on April 15, 2013, 06:05:03 AM
Is the swap meet gonna be badged or unbadged on Thursday? As in, do we need a badge on Thursday to check it out??

again, swap meet wont tell us any information otherwise it will be speculation..
LAST year however. IT WAS SUPPOSEDLY BADGE REQUIRED~!, but thanks to the black out, they removed that idea and never notify anyone about this! Even if you were the seller a badge was required!

I hope this year, they learned their lesson and hoped its a NON badge event for thursday only!

just out of curiosity! I was thinking of selling a video game cartridge format!.. However i found out that the playstation store online is selling it..

Question::  are the cartidge games (example: orcarina of time (n64 cartridge / final fantasy 7 (original label)) worth more or worth less because of the virtual online store?

Ecchi ja Nai

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on April 17, 2013, 01:31:59 AM
Question::  are the cartidge games (example: orcarina of time (n64 cartridge / final fantasy 7 (original label)) worth more or worth less because of the virtual online store?

Not sure if this is the most appropriate board for this question, but since we don't have anything else swap meet-related to discuss just yet...

I think it has everything to do with the game and what kind of fan following it has.  Certainly having a bunch of classic, fan fave and even cult hits available in a downloadable format will drive the prices down overall.  A certain portion of the market is looking for the content itself, and they don't care whether they have a physical copy of the game or not.  However, there are still some games where, especially to collectors, it is very valuable to own the original medium it was released on.  Nobody cares if you actually own the DVD for StarCraft II or if you downloaded the game, but I believe people will still be willing to pay more for the actual disks for FFVII than what it currently costs to download on PSN.  And there will be a difference even between the prices of the original release verses the Greatest Hits release, where the older and usually more rare version will fetch a higher price.

Compare other games however, such as the earlier Tekken or Resident Evil games and there isn't the same sense of collectable value in the disk versions.  Somebody out there would most likely want them, but probably not at a price they would have gone for prior to digital re-release.

Having said that, anybody have a copy of Xenosaga III?  Looking for the game complete with case and manual for around $20.  I'll be at swap meet!  I hope.

Eurobeat King

I plan to sell my copies of Borderlands 2 and Dead or Alive 5 both on the Xbox 360.  :)  I might have other video-games but unsure yet.

warbearer

You can sell anything as long as they are not pirated knock-offs.

Angelx624

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on April 17, 2013, 01:31:59 AM
Quote from: Angelx624 on April 15, 2013, 06:05:03 AM

again, swap meet wont tell us any information otherwise it will be speculation..
LAST year however. IT WAS SUPPOSEDLY BADGE REQUIRED~!, but thanks to the black out, they removed that idea and never notify anyone about this! Even if you were the seller a badge was required!

I hope this year, they learned their lesson and hoped its a NON badge event for thursday only!

just out of curiosity! I was thinking of selling a video game cartridge format!.. However i found out that the playstation store online is selling it..

I'm hoping it's non-badged on Thursday, too, which is why I asked. ><;;

Welp, hoping we find out before the con, but if not, guess we'll find out on Day Zero. .-.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Eurobeat King

We're at the 5 week mark until Fanime..  I'm excited  :D and stressing out.  :-\

I liked not needing a badge to SELL stuff last year, so I didn't have to spend the entire day waiting in the pre-reg. line. When the Swap Meet ended on Thursday night, I put my stuff away in my car and rested for a few hours, then waited in-line to get a Friday badge which I needed to sell on Friday night. :)

warbearer

I hope they are more organized this year. Last Year some of the registrants were asleep on their job and many of the cosplayers snuck in the cons without registering.

warbearer

Quote from: Eurobeat King on April 18, 2013, 09:34:01 AM
We're at the 5 week mark until Fanime..  I'm excited  :D and stressing out.  :-\

I liked not needing a badge to SELL stuff last year, so I didn't have to spend the entire day waiting in the pre-reg. line. When the Swap Meet ended on Thursday night, I put my stuff away in my car and rested for a few hours, then waited in-line to get a Friday badge which I needed to sell on Friday night. :)

Sorry you had to go through that last year :(

Hachimitsu

May 1st, I am betting myself that may 1st will be the announcement!

Eurobeat King

Quote from: warbearer on April 18, 2013, 09:49:34 AM

Sorry you had to go through that last year :(

I didn't mind.  While waiting in-line from 4:30am-9:00am was calm & quiet, when pre-reg. opened, it only took me 15 minutes to get my Friday badge.  That was easy, considering that later on the pre-reg. nightmare (continued from Thursday) happened again and people waited hours in-line while the con was already happening.

Ecchi ja Nai

I figure there's a chance that not everyone will see the new thread but might still be checking this one, so be sure to check the Official Swap Meet thread at http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,18266.0.html for all the details.  This time they're legit.

I also kinda like to keep this thread going to add my comments on the event without cluttering up the official thread.  I do wish that Fanime would make their announcements more noticeable.  I had just by chance checked the main page and found at the very bottom a news post regarding the swap meet FAQ and application form (I now see where I was getting confused regarding what necessitates having a temporary seller's permit, and no, it didn't have to do with how frequently you sell stuff).  It sure would have been nice to know about it earlier, since it was posted on the 19th and I just caught it this morning.  I stay away from Twitter and don't personally use Facebook, so I'm not getting announcements thrown at me.  Still, they've got an actual website where one would expect all information to be posted, and the mods know we've been talking about swap meet here, so I really don't see any reason why they couldn't have made that information easier to find.

Also - and this is no longer speculation - $30 for a 10'x5' space?  Really?  I've accumulated quite a lot of stuff over the year that I'd like to sell, but I'm going to have to seriously consider if continuing to participate in the swap meet is going to be worth it.  I thought reducing the space by half a couple of years ago was bad enough, but now they're asking for 50% more for that smaller space?  Really lame.  I guess those commercials are right, though; everybody really does like getting 50% more cash.  It just really sucks that it has to come from us sellers.