Playing instruments for money?

Started by clarapark96, March 05, 2013, 05:47:08 PM

clarapark96

I've been wondering about this one for a while now; as a musician, I've always wanted to play anime songs on my instrument and get some cash from convention attendees. Is it against the rules to play inside of the convention building? What about out in the front/side of the building?

Tsu

I can't tell you if it's actually allowed by the convention center and the con to do it, but I can tell you that people do it regardless. There's a section of the convention center where people always seem to be hanging out playing instruments, and while they don't come around anymore, people like Ramen & Rice made their start at cons like Fanime playing for the public and asking for donations. If I had to make a wild guess, as long as you're not blocking traffic or being disruptive in some way that's upsetting people, it's probably ok.

/Insert con-official here who'll totally shoot all this down  ;D
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Mizuki

If you're playing an instrument for cash you got your head on wrong, this coming from a fellow musician. Play to entertain, if you want cash join a band and sell records lol. That's just my 2 cents

clarapark96

Quote from: Mizuki on March 05, 2013, 08:27:21 PM
If you're playing an instrument for cash you got your head on wrong, this coming from a fellow musician. Play to entertain, if you want cash join a band and sell records lol. That's just my 2 cents

No of course I don't play for cash only, I went through a lot to convince my parents to let me switch to my current instrument. I just think it'd be useful for getting some change, because why not? I can play anime songs!

Dagger-6

You are not allowed to solicit cash on convention grounds.  Music played at a reasonable level may be allowed, but loud music, disruptive crowds, or any solicitation of cash will result in action by the convention staff.