Artist Alley - Sign up Date

Started by cutekick, March 18, 2013, 05:08:50 PM

cutekick

I know staff is working their hardest to get AA sign up all set up and ready to go and that nothing has been announced. I am not asking you all to work faster or harder, I know you are doing your absolute best and I cannot thank you enough for that. I have this terrible feeling though that somehow signup is going to happen on Sakura-con weekend (March 29-31). I don't know if this is a realistic concern but I know I am not the only one to have it.

So, I just want to ask to please take that into consideration when you are finalizing everything. I know I am not the only artist in the bay area that is going to Sakura-con and would love to attend Fanime as well but it would be very hard to sign up while at another convention.   

kimchikawaii

My fears EXACTLY. And I don't have a laptop either so if it does happen that way, I will a) have to do it through my iPhone, b) find someone who can watch my table while I try to fumble through the process of doing it on my phone and c) hope the Sakura-Con internet isn't overloaded and slow.

M

We will announce the registration date/time well ahead of time so that everyone will have time to prepare for it.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Xyterra3

I'm in agreement with cutekick. ;) I realize it must be a daunting logistics task (which I can not begin to imagine) but I'm getting rather antsy myself. I've missed the opportunity to have a table two years in a row and now I'm worried, though it sounds weird, that I might just get a table this time.  :-[

unicorn_lord

As I said before, I probably will sell part of a table if I get some, so keep me on PM.

Xyterra3

Oniko

Yeah I'm normally that person that says "hey guys they are doing their best just be patient" but this is the latest I remember it being and I'm getting nervous too :(  I know they will have an AA for sure, but I don't want to start wasting money on product if I don't get a table and if I wait too long I wont have product ready in time. We are down to 2 months before Con.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

M

Serious question - what can we do (as staffers) to help the wait before AA registration opens? Is there anything we can do besides "AA registration, omg!" ?

Oniko

The best thing would be ballpark dates, but with it being so close that's pretty much like telling us when it'll open anyways. Unfortunately at this time I think that is the only thing that can be done to help with some of the nervous people like myself. Or maybe if we could understand why it is taking so long?  This isn't meant to be a bashing of the staff, this is just genuine concerns.  I guess all that can be done right now, besides a date, is give ample time next year.
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

eemychann

Quote from: MPLe on March 28, 2013, 06:25:49 PM
Serious question - what can we do (as staffers) to help the wait before AA registration opens? Is there anything we can do besides "AA registration, omg!" ?

Things that would actually make people happier? Are usually going to be things that aren't so easy to do.

A firm and absolute promise that not only will the registration be available, but that accounts will be properly approved or denied before the hotel cancellation deadline, even if that means having to skimp on the portfolio approvals. Because as it stands there are fears that even if registration eventually opens people will have to drop out because they didn't know in time. If there is an absolute commitment that tables will be approved before deadline NO MATTER WHAT even if it means doing registration by hand on paper forms, then the fretting will calm down.

Another options would be some sort of carrot being offered to make up for the disruption, like allowing artists to register for the convention at a discount, or a special artists-only line at pre-registration at the convention so that checking in would be speeded up. For that people would forgive a lot!

Explaining what went wrong is probably not the best answer because, while I don't know what really happened, there's a chance that it involves drama and things that would embarrass people and are not good to make public, and there's a chance that the public would massively nitpick the explanation, point out a million solutions that could have been tried instead, and generally rage.

Karen

With all the kerfuffle about the location and one trip into the hall with one's merchandise, having a separate badge pick up for AA would be ideal and very appreciated.

M

Quote from: eemychann on March 29, 2013, 05:59:10 AMThings that would actually make people happier? Are usually going to be things that aren't so easy to do.

A firm and absolute promise that not only will the registration be available, but that accounts will be properly approved or denied before the hotel cancellation deadline, even if that means having to skimp on the portfolio approvals. Because as it stands there are fears that even if registration eventually opens people will have to drop out because they didn't know in time. If there is an absolute commitment that tables will be approved before deadline NO MATTER WHAT even if it means doing registration by hand on paper forms, then the fretting will calm down.

Another options would be some sort of carrot being offered to make up for the disruption, like allowing artists to register for the convention at a discount, or a special artists-only line at pre-registration at the convention so that checking in would be speeded up. For that people would forgive a lot!

Explaining what went wrong is probably not the best answer because, while I don't know what really happened, there's a chance that it involves drama and things that would embarrass people and are not good to make public, and there's a chance that the public would massively nitpick the explanation, point out a million solutions that could have been tried instead, and generally rage.

Quote from: Karen on April 01, 2013, 11:18:10 AM
With all the kerfuffle about the location and one trip into the hall with one's merchandise, having a separate badge pick up for AA would be ideal and very appreciated.
Replying to both as they kind of overlap. Our registration department is looking to see if there's anyway that we can have a special line. Don't take this as confirmed as I don't have the most up-to-date information, but this is one of the ways that they're looking to ease the congestion of picking up your badge.

I can't promise anything that might or might not change for FanimeCon 2014, but we will do what we always do every year after the convention - figure out what went right and what went wrong and see what we can do to improve on that for future years.

Sen

Quote from: MPLe on April 01, 2013, 11:31:52 AM
Quote from: eemychann on March 29, 2013, 05:59:10 AMThings that would actually make people happier? Are usually going to be things that aren't so easy to do.

Quote from: Karen on April 01, 2013, 11:18:10 AM
Replying to both as they kind of overlap. Our registration department is looking to see if there's anyway that we can have a special line. Don't take this as confirmed as I don't have the most up-to-date information, but this is one of the ways that they're looking to ease the congestion of picking up your badge.

I can't promise anything that might or might not change for FanimeCon 2014, but we will do what we always do every year after the convention - figure out what went right and what went wrong and see what we can do to improve on that for future years.

Since I had already mentioned this on the Facebook group page....

YES, Registration is planning to have a separate badge pick up lin for Artists of Artist Alley and Panelists. More information from Reg will follow. (We know some of you may be a member of a group reg, etc.)
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Hachimitsu

I was hoping for another $60 registration, but after reading the anouncement from twitter that they will drop the price $5 from it and making it an $80 registration.

Now I know this might sound like a huge relief, but seriously? how did we jump from $60 to $80 (five).

personal guesses here::
- Crowd control / scare off some people :: it's possible i mean, if you think of this as disneyland O_O!....

- The convention retail rental has raised the bar :: I sometimes wonder how much the convention cost is, but after 2010's revenue peak, i never knew it could cost THAT expensive to host it.

- Trying to stay with the current Convention registrations ; ;such as Alternate press expo, Wondercon, comic-con ($1500? notsure how much they cost on one single table), sakura con..etc

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

point is, i really do like to sell my artworks but I fear brand new artists aren't going to earn anything back from their own revenue O_O. Yeah sure you can print out a poster or go to kinkos for about $1.18 and resell them fro $10-$20 (depending on sizes a2, a3, and a4 illustrations), but there are others who are lucky to get into it but i worry the lesser known artists and ...NEVER MIND!

To AA admin, thank you for reducing the price of $5 dollars off. Keep up the good work and looking forward on registration. Wishing everyone good luck, and also hoping the money is going for a good cause.

Oniko

You forget they are renting out a larger space for us.
Plus I wouldnt be surprised if the center did raise the rent price to pay for their remodeling.  It happens a lot in malls anyways.
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Oniko on April 04, 2013, 06:10:46 PM
You forget they are renting out a larger space for us.
Plus I wouldnt be surprised if the center did raise the rent price to pay for their remodeling.  It happens a lot in malls anyways.

wait a second, they moved Artist alley to a bigger space?, YEAY ^ ^!
Now I feel happy we got more room to add more wonderful artists ^_^~!
I hope the art gallery also get some expansion as well, but I have to talk to them privately about that..

jumbojibbles

How much space are we actually allotted (other than the 2X6 table, which I'm hoping I don't have to stand on top of)? Fairs I've done with a booth fee under $100 are usually avoided (like an apartment whose rent is so cheap because someone was murdered there), so I'm not sure why $85 would be considered a lot. Are sales consistently bad at Artist Alley? Is this particular event more for fun and networking than selling stuff?

Please don't think I'm trying to be critical, just really overwhelmed by this registration process.

Oniko

I can only assume the sales are good.  Considering tables sell out within the hour or less.  For me Tables are great, I pay for everything at a con due to the table, 4-5 nights at the room, dinner, goodies I buy from dealers hall.

And why would you hope not to stand on a table?  I'm not sure if this is a joke or in reference to something else o-o;; but your not allowed to do that.  Your not even allowed to stand on a chair.

I think the new people are being made to panic over the vets that are upset or complaining about things.  Yes the changes to the rules are painful for some and should be talked about, but overall the rules are not that hard to follow, trust me I'm a paranoid person and have never had an issue with them.  Most of the rules are common sense or just answers to questions.

It's not like the staff is going to run over to you with a 2x4 and start beating you.  They will probably give you a warning.  You know unless someone does something really out in left field like start a fight, then there would probably be no warning.
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

eemychann

Quote from: jumbojibbles on April 05, 2013, 08:59:04 AM
How much space are we actually allotted (other than the 2X6 table, which I'm hoping I don't have to stand on top of)? Fairs I've done with a booth fee under $100 are usually avoided (like an apartment whose rent is so cheap because someone was murdered there), so I'm not sure why $85 would be considered a lot. Are sales consistently bad at Artist Alley? Is this particular event more for fun and networking than selling stuff?

There's space behind the table with a chair, but you're generally not supposed to use that space for display, just for sitting/ standing in.

Speaking only for myself the $20 price change is completely not an issue when it comes to profit. The possible lower traffic from being in a weird location is more concerning but honestly it sounds like the AA is doing the best they can for us so as long as I get a table I'll be there and see how it goes.

(Well, and also, I got progress on my stated wishes so I'm a happy bunny.)

But a lot of sellers in AA are young amateurs selling cheap prints and such, I think?

Hachimitsu

Quote from: jumbojibbles on April 05, 2013, 08:59:04 AM

Please don't think I'm trying to be critical, just really overwhelmed by this registration process.

it actually depends though, i mean, if your there to have fun, thats nice and all but for me im trying to pay off my debts! It's not the amount of poor sales but its the fact that last time I talked to someone who made these beautiful creations, but told me she never sold any sales and it kinda bothers me alot.

Still $85 is still not that expensive but if you compare last years rates its kinda felt like it is.. in some way. Think of this as a candy bar, you remember the time here candy used to cost like 55 cents.. now its like..A dollar and something cents o_O!. and we aren't even talking about the KING size one.. I'm talking about the regular doinky types!

I really am crossing my fingers for Artist alley to be bigger now. I wanna see wonderful new artists.