Question about Commissions - Requesting Non-Anime Characters?

Started by TobikoSprinkles, April 01, 2013, 10:39:13 PM

TobikoSprinkles

Okay, don't shoot me just yet; hear me out. 

So, I'm really green about the whole commission trade.  From what I understand I, the customer, would pay a certain amount of money to have an artist draw a customized picture of a character that isn't already displayed at their booth.  If this is completely wrong, please correct me.

On to my main question:  Would I be able to commission a picture of a non-game, non-anime character.  See, I wrote a little fanfiction back when I was 17 about a girl running away to live with two vampires, a werewolf-demon and a psychic (Quizilla anyone?).  Anyway, you know the joke about writing fanfiction because you can't draw? In my case, its pretty true.  But as a writer I have the image of my characters vividly alive in my head, but the inability to draw those images myself.

Getting to the point, if I could just describe to the artist what my characters look like and a setting I want them to be in would I be able to ask for this at Fanime?  And if so, how much time would I need to give the artist for this work?  And how much would it be estimated to cost?  Please help  ;D

Oniko

I have never done commissions at a Con because it eats into what little time I have.  That being said these are just some ideas I have on the subject.  I'm going to be assuming some stuff just based on other artists I've known to do commissions and commission in general even outside a con. Please don't take this as expert advice,  its more things I think you should consider.

I would think that you can request anything of the artist to draw.  The problem is if the artist is willing to do it.  Every artist tends to have their own sets of rules of "wills and will nots".  Some have them listed at their tables, others you might need to ask.  I would generally think it would be easiest for artists to do fan art because they could look up all the reference they need. Then again I've known plenty of artists to do original work.
Onto your reference.  If you could try to draw your reference I think it would help the artist.  If not then you better have some really big descriptions ready.  In fact I would have it as a print out for the artist to remember, because it sounds like you want multiple characters in a certain setting.

As far as pricing I have no idea what to tell you.  Every artist will obviously have different prices.  The price will vary based on their skill.  It'll also vary with medium... sketch, ink, copic, watercolor, etc.  Also this sounds like 3-5 characters? Plus setting/background? What is your budget if you don't mind me asking because your going into a more expensive end.

Commission at a con are special because you get to keep a actual copy unlike most online commission that is a digital copy.  You also have to remember that the more work that needs to be done for a picture the more time the artist will need to finish it before the con ends. I would recommend trying to make a deal with an artist near the beginning of con before their waitlist fills up or they simply don't have enough time to fill a large order.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

chibimonster

I'll draw anything (well, anything PG-13 rated and below) as long as I can somehow get a reference image or a specific-enough written description. If you plan to write descriptions of your characters, I would include: Height, body type (skinny, muscular, etc.), hair color, eye color, skin color, other distinguishing features such as scars, clothing worn and props. A brief summary of the character's personality would also be nice. I like to interact with the people who commission me, so I wouldn't mind if someone stuck around to give me a little - but not excessive- feedback. Not all artists work like this, however.

I'm fairly new to the artist alley business, so I don't really have a set formula worked out for how I price my commissions. I charge by how complex the picture is; for reference, one full color chibi with a very simple background would be $8-$12, depending on the con. I charge more at crazier cons such as Fanime to avoid being overworked - last year I was up until midnight every night working on commissions I had to take home. I tend not to take full-body drawings at cons because of the time it takes me (I have eye problems, so I draw a little slower than most people). However I will take digital art commissions outside of cons, and then I'll draw more complex pictures.

Most artists have business cards or they'll give you their contact info if you ask. That way, if you like someone's style, but they can't take a commission at the con, you can get a commission from them later.

phr34kish

Unfortunately, there's no simple answer to your question. It depends on the artist, and their personal rules. You should be able to do just fine getting a drawing of almost anything you want, it doesn't have to be limited to "anime characters" specifically. (My partner and I have had commissions done of our OC's before, no problem!) But as far as time and price? Eh, you're not gonna be able to get a straight answer on that one.

Some people do commissions for as little as $3, and others do them for $30 or more. Some people take commissions at con and give them to you same day/next day, others will take the commission at con and send it to you after, and some people won't do it at all. You'll just have to over plan as far as your expectations and then ask around when you get there.

Hachimitsu

Even if you did applied you have to think how much this will cost you a whole, characters alone in bust formation will be around $5-$25.

adding a background would considered to be time consuming but check if they are completely open!
just talk to them, I know you don't know how much something you want is, but it never hurts to talk to them and ask for a qoute or some sort of discount or something.

besides i got two people comming in to my booth asking to draw a character i was very very uncomfortable! yeah it's tempting to do the commission, but seriously i have a dignity to keep v_v!