Volunteers wanted for Aetheric Message Machine Company at Clockwork Alchemy

Started by aetherltd, April 03, 2013, 02:52:12 PM

aetherltd

The Aetheric Message Machine Company will have a steampunk Telegraph Office at Clockwork Alchemy again this year. We're looking for two to four reliable people per shift to work in the Telegraph Office at the event.

Anyone at the convention can send a telegram for free by texting from a cell phone. The messages are printed on antique printing telegraph equipment, stamped, sorted, put in envelopes, and delivered around the con by messengers.  We did this at the last two Nova Albion events, the first Clockwork Alchemy, once at Maker Faire, and we'll be at Nova Albion in April 2013.

We have two jobs:

Operator: Works in the Telegraph Office and handles incoming messages from our brass and glass Aetheric Message Machine. Requires some typing and office skills.  You'll be in a highly visible location, a glass-fronted office facing the main corridor to the ballrooms at the Doubletree. Expect to be photographed and interviewed. About half an hour of training is required.

Messenger: Runs around the con delivering messages. Requires energy and a good voice. "Telegram for ..."

This is a fun job to do in steampunk costume.  You're handling real messages, using real antique machines, and do it in character. It gets busy, with the machines typing out messages and messengers running in and out.  We'll be operating for the same hours that the vendor room is open, Friday through Sunday.

The Telegraph Office at Clockwork Alchemy 2012
(Do come in and visit. We make our office look like a real telegraph office. It looked so official last year that some people thought they weren't supposed to come in. We'll do some things this year to make it look more inviting.)

See our web site: http://www.aetherltd.com
Here's a video of the Telegraph Office in full operation.
Contact us at [email protected] or leave a message here.
Each job comes with a hat - choice of the cap shown above or a green eyeshade. And a brass badge.
The volunteer refund deal is the same as for other Fanime volunteers, and will be coordinated through the volunteer office.

aetherltd

We'll be at Nova Albion this weekend! Stop by our Telegraph Office there and say hi!

aetherltd

If you'd like to messenger for a few hours at Clockwork Alchemy, please stop by the Telegraph Office and speak to the operator on duty. We're just off the hotel lobby, to the left of hotel check-in, in a glass room.   

mattpittaway

hi
my name is matthew pittaway I wasnt able to make it to clockwork alchemy this year but was wondering how i could get a message to my wife who is working as a bobbie via your message service

aetherltd

Quote from: mattpittaway on May 25, 2013, 12:54:18 PM
hi
my name is matthew pittaway I wasnt able to make it to clockwork alchemy this year but was wondering how i could get a message to my wife who is working as a bobbie via your message service
Handled via email. Thanks.