Artist Alley Registration Information!

Started by M, April 05, 2013, 06:12:05 PM

M

Quote from: chibimonster on April 10, 2013, 10:06:24 PMYeah, my sister was using chrome and she said that she had to refresh pages several times. I guess that's just the way the table war goes these days. Just out of curiosity (sorry if this is off-topic), were artist alley signups less crazy in earlier years, like 2008, or have they been crazy since Fanime's early days?
No problem on the offtopic (this time :P): They've been crazy for as long as I can remember. There was a time when we wouldn't sell out but there was still a mad dash for artists wanting a table.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

chibimonster

Quote from: MPLe on April 10, 2013, 10:22:45 PM
No problem on the offtopic (this time :P): They've been crazy for as long as I can remember. There was a time when we wouldn't sell out but there was still a mad dash for artists wanting a table.

Ugh that means that it can only get worse from here on out. Are you going to post signup stats like you did last year? How quickly did tables sell out this time?

M

Quote from: chibimonster on April 10, 2013, 10:34:16 PMUgh that means that it can only get worse from here on out. Are you going to post signup stats like you did last year? How quickly did tables sell out this time?
Less time than last year. I believe last year's official stat was "15 minutes" and this year's unofficial stat is "<15 minutes" (only because I haven't received the official word... yet).

chibimonster

Quote from: MPLe on April 10, 2013, 10:35:26 PM
Less time than last year. I believe last year's official stat was "15 minutes" and this year's unofficial stat is "<15 minutes" (only because I haven't received the official word... yet).

I heard people saying on facebook that people started getting waitlisted after about 7 minutes. Then again, facebook has already proven to be unreliable.

M

Quote from: chibimonster on April 10, 2013, 10:39:58 PMI heard people saying on facebook that people started getting waitlisted after about 7 minutes. Then again, facebook has already proven to be unreliable.
Once the dust settles a bit more on the AA tables, we should be able to say how long it took to "fill" out the tables.

Maybe we should have some sort of online obstacle course in order for people to register for an AA table. Something like "Answer these 100 randomly selected questions completely correct!* :D

*Not serious**
**Maybe***
***No, not really serious

unicorn_lord

Quote from: chibimonster on April 10, 2013, 12:38:22 PM
Quote from: unicorn_lord on April 10, 2013, 10:08:12 AM
Did anybody get a table yet? Can a mod start a "buy table space" thread to contain purchase requests?

Generally those threads are started by artists. Why don't you make one and ask a mod to make it a sticky or something?

Did you not get a table? D: I heard the app crashed pretty badly. I was on an airplane when registration went up and my little sister had to full the form out for me, so I don't really know what happened.
I don't know, I never got a email.

I was finished in 9 minutes, I'd hate for that too have been too long.
Especially since I use the AA at Fanime as sort of a litmus test for my abilities.

chibimonster

Quote from: unicorn_lord on April 11, 2013, 12:32:44 PM
I was finished in 9 minutes, I'd hate for that too have been too long.
Especially since I use the AA at Fanime as sort of a litmus test for my abilities.

If you never got the verification link in your email, you don't have a table. Otherwise you should be able to log in to your account and see the message at the top of the page. If it's the "congrats, you've been preliminarily approved" message, you have a table. If you were too slow the message will tell you you're on the waitlist.

princeofrose

I'm number 4290 (I don't know if that counts as anything)
But yes I submitted everything at 7 minutes and it says I am waitlist :(
So I assume that 7 minutes is the cut off time when people started getting waitlisted haha
Which is inasne @__@;
Anyone know anyone that have been approved for their table yet? :O

chibimonster

Quote from: princeofrose on April 11, 2013, 08:24:38 PM
I'm number 4290 (I don't know if that counts as anything)
But yes I submitted everything at 7 minutes and it says I am waitlist :(
So I assume that 7 minutes is the cut off time when people started getting waitlisted haha
Which is inasne @__@;
Anyone know anyone that have been approved for their table yet? :O

I might be wrong, but...

I don't think they used a specific time as a cutoff - they seemed to do it at about 290 tables (I'm assuming the account number's last 3 digits indicate the number in which you signed up). They had about 320 tables last year, and the reason they started waitlisting people so quickly was because of the location change. They're not sure how many tables they'll have this year. It'll probably end up being more than last year, so I wouldn't start worrying just yet.

I may be completely wrong - this is just what I have managed to gather/deduce, so I'd suggest asking staff for some sort of clarification before you use what I've said here as fact.

Hachimitsu

320 is alot of tables XD.. and I was thankful we got more last year!...

Try not to feel worry.. I know this year I hope we might have 350 tables!.. maybe even more!
Please note me if you have any questions!...
Seriously please note me o_O!....

unicorn_lord

that doesn't reassure me since my last 3 number are 361.

chibimonster

My last 3 numbers are 168 and I unused in under 5 minutes. This year has been crazy.

To the mods: The price rises every year, and is it going to keep going up until it reaches AX-ish prices? Fanime seems pretty inexpensive given its size (this might be why demand for tables is as hue as it is).

haircurl

So has anybody been confirmed for a table and moved passed step 3 at all? I know there's a time limit until we can pay for tables and it's getting pretty close.

M

Quote from: haircurl on April 13, 2013, 02:53:10 PM
So has anybody been confirmed for a table and moved passed step 3 at all? I know there's a time limit until we can pay for tables and it's getting pretty close.
The listed time limit will be moved for any individuals that are accepted after the cut off date so you won't need to worry about that.

SquishyK

I sent my digital art portfolio in an email and I'm a bit concerned because I'm still waiting for approval. I realize that there are a number of people still waiting on approval, but I also never got any kind of confirmation that my email was received.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

chibimonster

Quote from: pitin on April 15, 2013, 04:49:23 PM
I sent my digital art portfolio in an email and I'm a bit concerned because I'm still waiting for approval. I realize that there are a number of people still waiting on approval, but I also never got any kind of confirmation that my email was received.

I did this too and they emailed me back saying they got it. However, maybe they only did this because I was also asking a question about helpers. I haven't been confirmed yet either; they do it in order of signup and I'm #168, so they probably have a ways to go.

It's better to be safe than sorry, though, so I would email them the link one more time and ask if they got it.

VocaloidHaine

Hello// I was checking my fanime AA acc and it said I was in Preliminaries since Saturday (I didn't get an email about it either, had to check the site itself) and it said AA staffs are looking through the portfolio if it matches up with their terms and conditions. But when I checked back on it today, the messaged changed my status back to waitlist;;
Did this happen to anyone else? (,,•﹏•,,)

chibimonster

Quote from: VocaloidHaine on April 15, 2013, 10:34:39 PM
Hello// I was checking my fanime AA acc and it said I was in Preliminaries since Saturday (I didn't get an email about it either, had to check the site itself) and it said AA staffs are looking through the portfolio if it matches up with their terms and conditions. But when I checked back on it today, the messaged changed my status back to waitlist;;
Did this happen to anyone else? (,,•﹏•,,)

This happened to some people when signups happened. The last 3 digits of their account number were somewhere between/around 290 and 300. This happened because of weirdness in the system involving which message got sent out when. It's strange that this would happen to you this late.
What are the last 3 digits of your account number?

I think the staff don't quite know how many tables they have yet, so that's why a lot of the waitlisted confusion has been happening.

VocaloidHaine

Ahh it scared me when I got the message! I thought I missed some email or something haha;
My account number is 289! So close;;
I was hoping that they would take numbers up till the 300s.
Do you think there were people already accepted before waitlist people---or was everyone automatically waitlisted since the beginning?
Thanks so much for the reply!

phr34kish

Quote from: VocaloidHaine on April 16, 2013, 08:44:34 AM
Ahh it scared me when I got the message! I thought I missed some email or something haha;
My account number is 289! So close;;
I was hoping that they would take numbers up till the 300s.
Do you think there were people already accepted before waitlist people---or was everyone automatically waitlisted since the beginning?
Thanks so much for the reply!

The first set of people who signed up got a "preliminary approved" message, but only those who made in under the number of tables AA knew they'd be able to service. Since they haven't actually completed their seating/table layout yet (that we know of), anybody who made it in PAST the numbers they were certain they could have got "Wait-listed", but that number could change at any time. We're still waiting on portfolio review and a final seating chart, I suppose. :/