Cosplay =/= Consent: What Con Staff Can Do To Make Everyone Feel Safe

Started by Eri Kagami, April 11, 2013, 12:58:32 PM

Eri Kagami

Hey guys!
I won't be at Fanime this year, but I do love this convention dearly. I've attended this con for almost 10 years. I do hope one day to return..

I recently posted an editorial on encouraging conventions on how it is important to make everyone feel safe and have a reporting system (know who to contact) and encouraging enforcing disciplinary action against perpetrators.

Link here: http://scarlet-rhapsody.com/?p=2883

I thought I'd open up the floor on how staff can keep Fanime attendees safe and have a way to report / punish people who do harassment.

M

Quote from: White Rose Assassin on April 11, 2013, 12:58:32 PM
Hey guys!
I won't be at Fanime this year, but I do love this convention dearly. I've attended this con for almost 10 years. I do hope one day to return..

I recently posted an editorial on encouraging conventions on how it is important to make everyone feel safe and have a reporting system (know who to contact) and encouraging enforcing disciplinary action against perpetrators.

Link here: http://scarlet-rhapsody.com/?p=2883

I thought I'd open up the floor on how staff can keep Fanime attendees safe and have a way to report / punish people who do harassment.

Good article! I did want to say that FanimeCon makes every attempt to ensure that all of our attendees are in a safe environment from each staff member to our rovers to security to the San Jose Police Department are constantly communicating to ensure that the safety of everyone is there. We don't let our staff slide in anyway if they're harassing *anyone* and we treat every reported incident in the same professional and careful manner. If someone is harassing you, report it to the nearest staffer (with as much information as possible like badge number) - if it's someone with a radio, even better (as they can report it directly to our Convention Operations, instantly). If they are staff, you can ask for their staff badge number and they should give it to you.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Wabbit98

Just to follow the previous post.

Harassment will also not be tolerated at the Black and White Ball.  If you feel you are being harassed by either an attendee, or a staff member, please find someone wearing a radio to report it immediately so that it can be handled in a professional manner.

We want you to enjoy your experience at the Black and White Ball and FanimeCon.
2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second