:3 Can anyone tell me what anime is popular right now?

Started by Maaike, April 19, 2013, 02:52:56 PM

Maaike

I'm a little curious to know what people are watching nowadays! I'm 21 and was wayyy into anime when I was 16-17 (Naruto, Inuyasha, Bleach, OHSHC, FLCL, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Fullmetal Alchemist, to name some.) I decided to "get back to my roots" so to say, and buy a badge for my first fanime!!

So I was wondering if these shows are still popular? What sort of cosplays should I expect? What anime is an absolute MUST WATCH before I go? :P I'm also asking in hopes of knowing what to sell and what not to bother with at the Artist Alley (which I'm also going to be a part of!) Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Naiagu

I am in the same boat as you. Kind of looking into what's good right now. I'd say look into Magi. I picked up the manga because of the art and do not regret it one bit. I've managed to get 4 of my friends really into it too. It's really good.
Fanime line up 2017:
Thur:
Fri: Ruby Rose 4th Season
Sat: Sa-chan(Gintama)
Sun: AM Haruhi (Ouran) / PM Phichit (YOI)

XeroRain

You're gonna see tons of Madoka cosplay, I know for sure. Then you might see really good Vocaloid ones. Thats all I remember from last year that I saw alot.
2014/2015: Cosplaying as Ludger from Tales of Xillia 2
2016: Garry from Ib
2017: Gaius from Fire Emblem (wip)

Hachimitsu

wasn't sword art online one of the popular anime shows?
I know madoka is still popular
not sure about magi but I like the series  ^ ^!

Lucifargundam

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on April 25, 2013, 02:08:38 AM
wasn't sword art online one of the popular anime shows?
There's a gathering- so one can say it's popular enough.

I guess you can say that the amount of people in the gathering determines the popularity of the anime(eg. Hetalia, bleach, etc).

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Nikkiolie

Quote from: Naiagu on April 19, 2013, 03:16:30 PM
I am in the same boat as you. Kind of looking into what's good right now. I'd say look into Magi. I picked up the manga because of the art and do not regret it one bit. I've managed to get 4 of my friends really into it too. It's really good.
I second Magi, just read the manga rather than watching the anime. The anime is starting to wander off too much from the story and at this rate it is going to be like the original FMA and end completely differently.

Otherwise, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Attack on Titan is huge right now, just came out, Fairy Tale....thats all I can think of.
Facebook Page
Fanime 2015
jolyne - Jjba
Caesar - Jjba
Judal -magi
Date - Basara

Glitch

To clear things up, are you asking what a lot of people are watching? Which of course may not always translate to what you might like. I'll try to find the middle ground between that(at least according to my taste).

As people mentioned before, You'll see a lot from Magica Madoka. Probably Attack on Titan since that is getting a big following right now(and rightfully so). There might be some Psycho Pass cosplays.
While either loved or hated by those that watch it, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt is sure to have a lot of cosplayers walking around.

otakuya

I'm kinda asking the same thing in that I'd like to know what the cosplay trend is going to be this time.

Last year, there were so many flags of countries and cosplayers with them and wanted to know what they are and what anime/manga is it from. Not saying I'm going to watch it or enjoy it because it's all the rage, but I'd like to know.

echoshadow

Thoese cosplays with the different nation's flags are from Hetalia. It's a comedy chibi-ish short 5-10 minute online anime. It has a very young and yaoi fan base.
Not my cup of tea, but it's popular for fanime.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

otakuya

DangerHeart

I think this years trend might be Sword Art Online. I'm one of them....heh. I only guess this from looking at the gathering thread and seeing how many have signed up for it, and the fact that many more will and just not attend the gathering or haven't signed up for it but will still attend. Though it seems more people are coming as the two main character and not many others.
And possibly even more from Homestuck. I friend told me its ending right before the con? Not sure since I don't read it, but if it does it could get crazy with that fanbase this year.
I love watching for new trends every year though. I couldn't count how many Soul Eater cosplays I saw my first year.

djmonolith

I saw a ton of Black Butler last year.

I would love to see cosplay from Ergo Proxy, Princess Jellyfish, Other

some more uncommon Anime would be refreshing
This is my signature.

phr34kish

Quote from: djmonolith on April 27, 2013, 10:09:30 PM
I saw a ton of Black Butler last year.

Probably because the Japanese voice actor for Sebastian was a Guest of Honor last year. ;)

Reyak

otakuya

Quote from: Otakuya on April 27, 2013, 04:08:05 PM
What's this year's trend going to be?

Unfortunately, I've answered my own question: Homestuck

Rhornez

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Kari Takatori

Stockgenius

Attack on Titan is really popular right now.

It is a good anime so far.

JohnnyAR