State of anime fandom

Started by otakuya, April 19, 2013, 10:59:57 PM

otakuya

I am sure it is a changing culture, but I would like for those who remember to think back to the late 1990s and early 2000s in the world of anime/manga fandom. Back then, anime clubs were 'underground' in libraries and schools, and anime were distributed by sharing tapes, laserdiscs, and club screenings. Anime in America seemed unknownsgt (is that a word?) to the general public.

Nowadays, anime is considered a standard medium for global entertainment. Many anime are streamed through Netflix, Youtube, Xfinity, etc., file sharing, abundance on mainstream channels, bookstores with huge manga sections, acceptance of Asian-influenced culture, etc.

I'd like to know where you think the future of anime is headed, and that how events like FanimeCon are evolving.

echoshadow

As a fan of anime since the mid 90's I really don't like the streaming trend that been going lately. I only say this because I'm a bit of an audio/videophile and 80% of all the anime I seen was in DVD and now Blu-ray with 5.1 surround sound.

The quality has been piss poor, especially Netflix steaming. I'm sure that can be fixed as technology progresses, till then I'll keep buying dvd/blu-rays till then. So far Crunchroll is been on the ball, but their selection is really targeted for the teens, not really for the 20 somthing anime fan.

I wouldn't say anime has become a standard, its still as popular as an indie film at a flim festaval. Which kind of leads me to another point.

Most of the new people getting into anime some how think anime is just ment for kids. I remember runing into an old friend that was in an anime club freshman year in college. I asked if he seen any good anime lately and he replied he out grew it. That made me laugh.

I then had to ask if he seen any other anime besides the top kids/teen shows (naurto/bleach,one piece,etc..) he said no. So I let him barrow a few of my anime movies. When he brought them back he said he had no idea that kind of anime existed.

As for anime cons, I'm all for it. The more people that get to know that anime is not just odd kid's cartoons the better. I really don't see it getting as big or accepable like in japan but as long as it reaches the same level as a prime time show I'm content.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Lucifargundam

I see more and more people get into anime... mostly by being introduced via a friend's reference. It helps that the genres and stuff of anime keeps becoming more diverse and varied.

A special kind of cookie for everyone as each new series is launched.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

djmonolith

I think anime will continue to grow here in the states... primarily because it is easily found on cable and Netflix.  All you have to do is walk down the Manga isle at Barnes and Nobel to know that this art is popular.

I was talking to a local comic shop owner about why it was difficult for him to sell manga in his store.  We were discussing the availability to read for free in book stores and the abundance of both Manga and Anime online... proof that it is more popular then ever!
This is my signature.

Glitch

Just glad this thread wasn't gonna be about "pirating is bad!!!"

echoshadow

That may be the case for a large city, but just step out side the city county and anime/manga are gone or limited to a half self, in a dark corner of the book store.

Another problem with manga sales is the online piracy. This affects most comic/book shops out side big cities. Since there is little interest in manga, why should shops stock up on manga that most people get for free online?

Sadly Netflix are really not big towards anime. They may have at first but now its being phased out slowy. Its been a very long time since Netflix added new anime titles.
Most anime disturbuters won't do busness with them. For the most part Funimation seems to be their go source for steaming vids.
Hulu on the other hand seems to be on the ball, even their anime selection is bigger that Netflix.

I guess what I'm trying to say, if you want anime/manga to get bigger in the U.S., buy it.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Lucifargundam

I noticed lately that manga got more expensive.... that was depressing.

djmonolith

Quote from: echoshadow on April 21, 2013, 01:29:30 AM

I guess what I'm trying to say, if you want anime/manga to get bigger in the U.S., buy it.

Thanks for your insight... I really can see what you are saying.  Perhaps my perspective is different due to where I live.  But yes, if we want anime/manga to get bigger in the U.S. we need to buy more of it.

But do we want it to be bigger?
This is my signature.

Rhornez

more fans = more weaboos
as long as its anime and not homestuck i will try and buy the dvds/blurays and manga volumes to help it grow atleast

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

PinkHairSasuke

I think the sales of anime/manga merchandise really depends on your location. Where I'm located, depending on the anime/manga, everything concerning that series tends to sell out quite quickly from store shelves. Back when Naruto was regularly shown on Cartoon Network, it was impossible to find anything Naruto on shelves at my local stores. Then again, where I live, the selection in stores isn't too big. Currently, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh are the only ones going strong here while Naruto is on it's last legs. We get other series but in very small numbers.

But, yes, if you want this to expand, support the official release and buy as much as you can to support it. Also, spreading the word of anime/manga in general to people who don't know it helps. I've converted many females into anime/manga fans just by showing them it.

MagicalGirlMan

My only problem is the below seems to be an issue gone un-addressed far too long:

http://www.16bitsirens.com/consentnext/ + http://blip.tv/anime-zone/az-rant-fanservice-and-ecchi-6557621

I have to agree with the Authors that the latter has gone too far and that the former has to stop now. I have ideas for what  to do about the former, and I am in contact with the Author of the article too.

Does anyone else who goes to conventions want to get in on this?

My Ideas:

A Convention Rover's Network (and Content Moderator's Network):
            To exchange ideas and tips for stopping and dealing with this

To coordinate group rover cos-plays because I have a feeling that the Avengers telling someone to cut that out might be more effective than some random guy, but perhaps I am wrong

The group rover cos-play idea translates to group Content Moderator RPing

A network of people dedicated to exposing and outing people who do things like stalk, take stalker photos, grope, womanize, make rape jokes, slut shame, race shame, bully LGBTQ and so on via:

Exposing them to the people they are stalking in some fashion

Asking them "May I take your picture?", if get a "yes", take it, post their picture and a description of what they did on a group Facebook Page, Twitter Hashtag, tumblr, and so on.

Handing out red cards to people caught doing these fowl things

Thoughts?

djmonolith

Quote from: MagicalGirlMan on June 08, 2013, 08:07:09 PM
My only problem is the below seems to be an issue gone un-addressed far too long:

http://www.16bitsirens.com/consentnext/ + http://blip.tv/anime-zone/az-rant-fanservice-and-ecchi-6557621

I have to agree with the Authors that the latter has gone too far and that the former has to stop now. I have ideas for what  to do about the former, and I am in contact with the Author of the article too.

Does anyone else who goes to conventions want to get in on this?

Thoughts?

I agree... something needs to be done.  I actually had a front-row seat for the entire incident posted on that tumblr.  I saw the whole thing and even offered my help to the Con Staff guy that was handing it.

I take photos, and i have cosplayed quite a bit.  Many of my crossplay costumes can be quite risque and it is common to have people taking photos without asking.  Actually... there are so many photos that people take without asking.  There really is nothing to be done about it. 

When I take photos, I always ask.  Or I join the group and patiently wait my turn. 

The problem is that it is a public space.  Many of the photographers are people who don't even have a badge... they are just there to take photos in the public area.  As long as there are cosplayers in areas that non-con goers have access to, they run the risk of having this happen.

I understand that this guy had a badge and he paid to be there.  But AT LEAST with a badge, the Staff can get his name. 

I like the idea of rovers who are looking for people taking inappropriate photos.  If they are volunteers and have a special badge, when they see something they don't like they can politely ask to see the badge of the person and explain why they are being singled out.  As these names are collected, there can be someone who adds them to a database and if a name shows up more than once more serious action can take place.

But again, the problem is that it is a public space and there really is no law against taking photos:

http://photorights.org/faq/is-it-legal-to-take-photos-of-people-without-asking

The bottom line is in public places where there is no right to privacy, yes you can take photos of people without asking.
This is my signature.

Lucifargundam

Isn't there an anime service similar to Steam?

JohnnyAR

Quote from: MagicalGirlMan on June 08, 2013, 08:07:09 PM

Thoughts?

On the topic of the photographs

There really isn't much that can be done to stop this behavior entirely, the only thing we can do is that we catch the perpetrator on the spot. I've never been victim of these incidents, so I can't say much on the matter.

Now, on to the fanservice...

The industry really needs to cut it out! Yeah, sex sells, but there is to goddamn much of it. There is only a handful of shows and manga I can name off the top of my head that don't rely on fanservice to sell. I hardly watch anything new these days because of fanservice. I've seen it to the point where its become predictable in a show and unless it offers something new, I'll drop a show on the second or third episode. I can only hope that this all dies out in the near future...

Pffft

dajoo

The only problem is Fan Service has been a major part of the industry as far back as the early nineties. Ranma (tame by some of today's standards) still had quite a bit. Then moving forward you get services like Goldenboy ("I wish my hand was my penis" direct quote), Fey from Cowboy Bebop, all the girls in Love Hina etc. etc. The trick is to balance the fan service with an actual story to tell. This is similar to Hollywood's problem of forgetting how to do pre production, because everything gets taken care of in post (i.e. c.g.)

Lucifargundam

Quote from: dajoo on July 08, 2013, 12:10:26 AM
The only problem is Fan Service has been a major part of the industry as far back as the early nineties. Ranma (tame by some of today's standards) still had quite a bit. Then moving forward you get services like Goldenboy ("I wish my hand was my penis" direct quote), Fey from Cowboy Bebop, all the girls in Love Hina etc. etc. The trick is to balance the fan service with an actual story to tell. This is similar to Hollywood's problem of forgetting how to do pre production, because everything gets taken care of in post (i.e. c.g.)
I don't think the main part of the american fanbase for anime started in the 90s... though it definitely got more popular then~!!! I think today's producers are trying to appeal to a different audience than what us oldies were for the most part subjected to... which isn't a bad thing...  I like a large handle for today's anime...

dajoo

Quote from: Lucifargundam on August 08, 2013, 04:41:47 AM
Quote from: dajoo on July 08, 2013, 12:10:26 AM
I don't think the main part of the american fanbase for anime started in the 90s... though it definitely got more popular then~!!! I think today's producers are trying to appeal to a different audience than what us oldies were for the most part subjected to... which isn't a bad thing...  I like a large handle for today's anime...

This was meant more as a response to Johnny saying that the fanservice has been in it for quite a while. Back in '03 my grandma asked to see what I was reading. The only thing I could find that was 100% tame was Wish by Clamp, (even Angelic Layer has panty references).
I would argue that there was a reasonable sized fanbase before the nineties, but it was the late nineties to early 00's that it really picked up. The major way I could tell was working at a Borders we went from having 4 bays of American and half a bay of Manga to half a bay of American stuff and 7 and a half bays of manga at the height of popularity. I do go way back though, SpeedRacer all the way, I can remember when anime was green (I'll explain the joke if anyone asks).
With that said I do like what is coming out, but my tastes have matured. Speed Racer doesn't grab me like it did when I was six, and I doubt I would have cared for series like Mushi-Shi back then. I do like the things that are coming out now it just needs to be good...(i.e. Girls and Panzer Tiger & Bunny)