Questions about last cons speed dating

Started by crystalsoul, April 20, 2013, 12:13:02 PM

crystalsoul

I was hoping i could get some feedback regarding the speed dating from last con. i was just looking for some general information  about

*How successful everyone thought it was?
*Was it worth going?
*How many attendees were there?
*Im curious about the guy/girl ratio as well
*What did you think was negative about the event? (If anything)

*And i would love to hear some stories as well if anyone is willing to share :3  anybody find a special someone through this event? (or at fanime in general)

renalcul

Do our stories need to be limited to last year?

kaizoku

It was packed.
*Was it worth going?
If you are interested in meeting new people.
It was packed.
More guys.
Rude and unorganized staff. Was registered, but denied entry because they were packed. Non-registered were allowed in before I was.

renalcul

-Oddly enough, the LGBT groups were damn near empty despite having fully registered people, they probably don't even need more than 1 LGBT session, but they insist on doing two and they probably wont have anybody who will show up this year.
-I found it worth going when i went the previous two years, although anybody that i matched with didn't communicate with me.
-around 150 each non LGBT day
-about 4:1 guys to girls waiting in line (in the event it's 1:1 because that's how speed-dating works)
-There were issues with registration where people thought they were in a guaranteed slot because they got an automated email that said that their registrations went through (because in previous years there were issues where people who submitted registrations weren't getting confirmations and they never had a chance.) and at a certain point when you're trying to wrangle 120 people who all want to be a part of something and the 20 or so who are actually registered for it, there ends up being a lot of miscommunication with who ends up getting in and who doesn't, and if anyone shows up late they're basically out of luck because there are around a hundred people wanting to take their spot. I kind of wonder how this year's no registration will work out for people.

crystalsoul

QuoteDo our stories need to be limited to last year?
Nah i just forgot there was one the year before. last years speed dating was, how do i say it, better advertised?

looks like both of you agree there were some problems with people being registered and not let in. hopefully that will be solved this year,

thanks for your replies everyone :3  hoping to hear some more.

renalcul

Quote from: crystalsoul on April 23, 2013, 05:14:23 PM
Nah i just forgot there was one the year before. last years speed dating was, how do i say it, better advertised?

looks like both of you agree there were some problems with people being registered and not let in. hopefully that will be solved this year,

They had speed dating the last 3 years, i was part of each one of them. My first year i matched with this super cute girl, but she never responded and i was the sad.

crystalsoul

Quote from: renalcul on April 23, 2013, 10:30:08 PM

They had speed dating the last 3 years, i was part of each one of them. My first year i matched with this super cute girl, but she never responded and i was the sad.
So how many people were in each speed dating session?  20? 30? more? less?

renalcul

Quote from: crystalsoul on April 24, 2013, 05:17:30 AM

15 men and 15 women as far as i recall.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: renalcul on April 25, 2013, 06:59:28 AM
Quote from: crystalsoul on April 24, 2013, 05:17:30 AM

15 men and 15 women as far as i recall.
30 people is considered packed? o_O or that's just the limit?

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

limDsage

Quote30 people is considered packed? o_O or that's just the limit?

Woah, what? .__.

Twitter: @limDsage
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/sicse7en
Youtube gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/limDsage
PSN: sicse7en

renalcul

Quote from: Lucifargundam on April 25, 2013, 12:58:21 PM
30 people is considered packed? o_O or that's just the limit?
That's the limit. You need to consider that for each additional male and female you add to the event increases the required time, i mean at the point you're going past 90 minutes people start to get bored and leave. I've seen at least 1 leaver a year as it is.
The event could probably do like 9 groups of 30 people if there were enough females, but as it is i don't think there are more than 80 females who care to partake in the event, although this could be completely different with the removal of preregistration.

TheMaKaKi

Hello Everyone,

This is Donna, co-head of Speed Dating. Thanks crystalsoul and fans who have responded on this column as we encourage communication among our fans and staff. Please keep in mind that everyone had a different experience and no event is perfect although we try our best to accommodate all. Although our event is limited by the amount of people, this year we have in total 7 sessions of Speed Dating. If a fan really wants to participate, we believe that having multiple events will allow them a chance to do so.

For the guy/girl ratio, we do not have a definitive count of that ratio for fans waiting in line. But as mentioned, it will be 1:1 guy-girl ratio inside the event. This year, the event will be moreso structured that we will advise fans on how to speed date and present a more decorative and intimate environment. In addition, we have had success stories of fans uniting through this event. We are happy to hearso and hope that there will be more success stories this year :)

We also have an Official Speed Dating 2013 Forum Thread: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,18000.0.html.

Furthermore unless you are getting an answer from a Speed Dating Co-Head (me or yaki-ika), it is NOT an official statement or representation from Speed Dating department. So please keep that in mind. Also if your concerns are personal or private, we are able by email as well [email protected]; email correspondence is moreso reserved for serious inquiries and concerns and we appreciate your awareness of that.
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

2016, 2015, 2014: Speed Dating Head
2013: Speed Dating Co-Head
2012 : Speed Dating Second
2002 'till Present : Fan Attendee <33

TheMaKaKi

Hello Kaizoku,

We apologize for your unpleasant experience last year. As this is a very popular event, we try our best to accommodate everyone.

As for the "rude and unorganized staff", if you are willing to personal message me or email us at speeddatingATfanimeDOTcom, then we can try to understand and help remedy the situation. If you remember your experience or specifically which staff was rude to you, then we can properly take actions. However repeatedly posting that you had a bad experience will neither help us and keep you unhappy.

Last year as it was explained via email and forums, we had opened a pre-registration for the event BUT your participation was not guaranteed unless you received a specific confirmation for your time slot and date. Alternatively, if you did receive a confirmation email for your pre-registration but came late/absent, then we let fans who waited in line to participate. Either way, those are the two top reasons why fans couldn't participate: misunderstanding of their pre-registration or tardiness/absence.

To address this confusion and problem, we decided this year to not have pre-registration for the event. It is first-come, first-serve waiting in line. We also have more speed dating sessions to allow fans more opportunities to be able to participate.

However, if neither of the reasons applied to you and you felt like we did treat you rudely, then I sincerely apologize. It would be unprofessional-like of me to not try to understand your situation but at the same time, we need your cooperation to understand and solve the problem. Thank you.

Quote from: kaizoku on April 22, 2013, 05:59:18 PM
It was packed.
*Was it worth going?
If you are interested in meeting new people.
It was packed.
More guys.
Rude and unorganized staff. Was registered, but denied entry because they were packed. Non-registered were allowed in before I was.
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

crystalsoul

thanks for all the replies :3

im looking forward to attending this event for the first time this year. i hope i can get in to the event tho xD wonder how early we will have to start waiting in line to secure a spot :P

Hey TheMaKaKi, will the speed dating take place on only one day this year or will it be spread out over multiple days? Nevermind i read the official thread :P

djmonolith

OK... forgive my ignorance, but is there a description of this event somewhere on the site or boards?
This is my signature.

TheMaKaKi

Quote from: djmonolith on April 27, 2013, 10:14:11 PM
OK... forgive my ignorance, but is there a description of this event somewhere on the site or boards?

We have an Official Speed Dating 2013 Forum Thread: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,18000.0.html.

And our Event info on the official FanimeCon website: http://www.fanime.com/events-and-exhibits/events#speed-dating
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

djmonolith

Quote from: TheMaKaKi on May 04, 2013, 12:27:48 AM
Quote from: djmonolith on April 27, 2013, 10:14:11 PM

We have an Official Speed Dating 2013 Forum Thread: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,18000.0.html.

And our Event info on the official FanimeCon website: http://www.fanime.com/events-and-exhibits/events#speed-dating

thank you!  i keep forgetting to check the actual fanime site! 
This is my signature.

unicorn_lord

The best thing I ever saw was a guy chat up a girl and they ended up hooking up 10 minutes before the the next round was let it. I felt like he should've gotten a round of applause for that.  ???