New to Fanime!

Started by melonflower, April 21, 2013, 08:04:58 PM

SkylerKarashi

seriously though, i think the chances of the power going out two years in a row are pretty slim. *knocks on wood*
My Cosplay For Fanime 2024:
Thursday: Closet Kaminari/Yuri (BNHA/Yuri On Ice)
Friday: Goth (Boyfriends)
Saturday: Red (Pokemon & Smash Bros)
Sunday: Casual Kaminari (BNHA)
Monday: Goth (Boyfriends)

Pounce!

Related to #5 (and part of Hotel/Facilities), are we lucky to get Convention Center "Special Event" parking at $10-12 in the past? And what days? (staff confirm please)

ewu

Quote from: Tetsuo on April 26, 2013, 07:53:49 PM
Quick questions:

1) When do lines usually open on Day 0?

2) Are we gonna have more "technical difficulties" like last year? Are the people who couldnt get their badges gonna have to go home if that happens or what?

1) Usually ~5, but in the past we have had 3 or 4. but a new location could mean different times too.

2) Acts of god can always happen.....that's the nature of it. We tried our best to get everyone registered as best we could and if anything happens this year we will likewise be working our butts off to make sure as many people are happy as possible.

Quote from: Pounce! on April 27, 2013, 02:40:20 AM
Related to #5 (and part of Hotel/Facilities), are we lucky to get Convention Center "Special Event" parking at $10-12 in the past? And what days? (staff confirm please)

That is up to the convention center, but I will check for you.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

BabyBlueJeff

3) As others have mentioned, I would suggest eating elsewhere for lunch since the food at the con is expensive and very small portions. You're going to be in downtown San Jose and there's a lot of places to eat within walking distance.

4) I never bring water because they have water fountains around the convention center. One less thing to carry around. I would highly suggest a backpack so you can put all the things you buy in there so you don't have to carry them around also.

5) Where do you think is the best place to park? (I'm fine with paying a fee if it's less distance walking from the con)

5) I usually park at the parking lot near McDonald's. There's a fee (I forget how much), but it's wasn't much considering you'll be there all day.

6) Do you think 1 day at fanime is enough to explore all around?

6) One day should be enough if you get there early and leave late, but I usually go Saturday and Sunday, which is more than enough. I cosplay the entire time I'm there and it gets exhausting carrying around a big weapon. But the environment is so much fun that you'll want more than one day at Fanime. This year is the first time I'm going to be there Friday through Sunday.

Another additional note, you should cosplay! You're going to have so much fun and see so many cool costumes that you're going to regret not dressing up! This will be my 5th Fanime and I've always cosplayed.

GokuMew2

Quote from: BabyBlueJeff on May 07, 2013, 02:53:38 PM
4) I never bring water because they have water fountains around the convention center. One less thing to carry around. I would highly suggest a backpack so you can put all the things you buy in there so you don't have to carry them around also.

Regardless of what others may say, I would always bring around at least one bottle of water. It is important to keep yourself hydrated during the con and you can't assume that the water stations will always have water. (If everyone depends on them, well...)
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

MikanCos

Oh! Another thing about the water fountains! I heard that some of the water fountains have been moved and for some they still need to hook up the drinking water pipes.  You can always go down the street to Safeway for a bottle of water.

If you plan to watch any event on a stage (like stage zero or even the masquerade)  then go a little early for good seats.
Fanime Mascot Candy (5 years)
Previously StageZero Performer (Now SZ Staff!)

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 26, 2013, 08:28:32 PM
Quote from: Amanojaku on April 26, 2013, 06:00:22 PM
But anyhow, unless you plan to dance like a maniac at the dance, or sprint to everything you want to see, you probably won't need water either.
Seriously bad advice, here.

Yes, there are drinking fountains throughout the con. Yes, there are often jugs of water with cups throughout the con. Make use of these if you don't have a bottle of water, or if you run out. but you -will- need water, whether you do heavy physical activities/sweat a lot or not. you'll be walking around quite a bit, and you DO NOT want to be dehydrated. Don't take a chance on that. You'll be miserable, run the risk of passing out, etc. You need water. Drink it. Actually, probably my #1 tip for surviving an anime con is to drink plenty of water (and, along with that, make sure to eat at the bare minimum one proper meal a day, preferably at least two), because you WILL be sorry if you don't. It's your health. Be sure to take care of it.

I can definitely attest to this.  Back in I believe 2009 I did not drink enough water.  I drank some, but didn't have my fill despite knowing my body could chug a lot more down.  Saturday afternoon I felt extremely exhausted, had a terrible headache, and felt nauseous.  I thought it was just due to exhaustion, so I decided to head back to the room for a nap.  When my roommate arrived though, I told them what was going on, and they deduced that I was dehydrated. A couple hours and a couple bottles of water later I was back to normal.  Now I bring upwards of 10 bottles of water to make sure that NEVER happens again.  So never forget to drink plenty of water during the convention; you don't want to put yourself at risk!

Amanojaku

Wow, people sure don't like my suggestion that you won't need water, lol.  Is drinking water a new religion? :o 

I think buying a ton of water and lugging it to the con is overkill.  Thankfully Fanime Con is held in a modern city with working plumbing and not the Sahara, so there is an abundance of free water for everyone to wet their gills with.  And if you like paying for free things, there are plenty of places to buy the bottled variety as well.  In fact by day 4, water is all that is left in the vending machines.  That, and Diet Coke. ;)

But on a more serious note, I'm not saying don't drink water.  Of course, water is healthy to drink, and if you're thirsty, it gets the job done.  I'm just saying you don't need to make a special occasion of it like this were a track meet outside in the sun or a hike up Mt. Diablo in August.  I didn't go without fluids; pepsi, poccari sweat, ramune, orange juice, "boba" teas, coffee, red bull, I drank all of those things.

I think to fully enjoy Fanime Con, you need to relax and not over think things:  Eat, sleep, and rest like normal, and you'll have a great time.  I guess if I had any other pieces of advice from personal experience, it would  be this:  Fanime Con is not a good place to break in a new pair of shoes.  Converse are practically flat inside, and I went to get some Dr. Scholls gel inserts on day two, then all was well.
FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

MikanCos

If something breaks or needs to be fixed up, you can head to the cosplayer hangout which is a camera free zone where you can rest and do what's necessary. :D

Glitch

Quote from: Amanojaku on May 13, 2013, 04:54:05 PM
Wow, people sure don't like my suggestion that you won't need water, lol.  Is drinking water a new religion? :o 

It's because dehydration is considered so last year.

XiAoZeY

I'm completely new to going to cons in general, and I'm going with At-Con registration this time, so I'll go to a different place to buy the badge then to the convention center...? And, from what I'm seeing it's a hotel I'm going to buy the badge? I'm a bit confused right now. XD

Nina Star 9

Quote from: XiAoZeY on May 14, 2013, 04:57:05 PM
I'm completely new to going to cons in general, and I'm going with At-Con registration this time, so I'll go to a different place to buy the badge then to the convention center...? And, from what I'm seeing it's a hotel I'm going to buy the badge? I'm a bit confused right now. XD
Yep! Registration has been moved to the Fairmont (according to the website, the Regency and Imperial Ballrooms, which should be up on the second floor), which is just down the street from the convention center. This hotel is officially tied to the con, and other con events have been held there in the past, so it isn't like it's some random place you have to go, rather just a different part of the con. I believe that most larger cons are spread out through different locations that are clustered around the central location (here, the convention center), so it isn't unusual.

Here are walking directions to the Fairmont from the convention center -- as you can see, it is a very short walk! Basically, hang a left at the Marriott (which is connected to the CC) and walk until you see it; it will be on the right, across from a park. Many congoers will be walking along the same path, and I'm sure there will be signs pointing you to Reg both outside and once you get inside the Fairmont (so you know how to get to the ballrooms), so it shouldn't be very difficult at all to find.

You should probably plan to get there a bit early, as reg lines can get long later in the day for at-con.

Have fun at your first con! :)

Firemage1000

Staying hydrated ans drinking water is important. Doubly so if you are in a cosplay that involves armor, pleather, or lots of layers. There are drinking fountains inside the convention center, and I bring along a small water bottle that I just periodically refill every time I pass by a spot.

Please drink water and don't have a heat stroke. I've been to Fanime when it was 85 degrees out as well as when it rained.
2016 Cosplays:
Kuvira the Great Uniter  -- Legend of Korra
Ferid Bathory -- Owari no Seraph
Irimi Kaya -- Tokyo Ghoul
Erica -- Gangsta.

MikanCos

Once someone looked like they were collapsing nearby where i was. They werent with anyone so no one noticed at first.  They sort of fainted so i got someone to get water and we tried fanning them with a very large paper fan. We shook them a little and they woke up. We gave them the water and made sure they would take it easy before we left. Water is critical in a city known to get hot especially when you're in a crowded area with other people conducting heat. Doesn't necessarily need to be water, just make sure you water down sugary drinks because too much sugar can cause you to crash.

Tsu

QuoteI think buying a ton of water and lugging it to the con is overkill.  Thankfully Fanime Con is held in a modern city with working plumbing and not the Sahara, so there is an abundance of free water for everyone to wet their gills with.  And if you like paying for free things, there are plenty of places to buy the bottled variety as well.  In fact by day 4, water is all that is left in the vending machines.  That, and Diet Coke. ;)

You don't NEED to bring dozens of bottles of water, but even one bottle you can carry around and refill when you come across a fountain is a good idea. I bought a reusable bottle leading up to the con last year for a buck at Walgreens that's made out of a soft material that you can roll up and stick in a pocket or bag when it's empty. It was really handy! And besides, bringing water that you can get for about 10 cents a bottle if you buy it at the right places is way better than shelling out 4 dollars at a vending machine, or 3 bucks for a tiny bottle of ramune from a dealer that may or may not be chilled. To each their own, but that's how I feel about it.

Quote from: 01 on May 14, 2013, 10:18:51 PM
Once someone looked like they were collapsing nearby where i was. They werent with anyone so no one noticed at first.  They sort of fainted so i got someone to get water and we tried fanning them with a very large paper fan. We shook them a little and they woke up. We gave them the water and made sure they would take it easy before we left. Water is critical in a city known to get hot especially when you're in a crowded area with other people conducting heat. Doesn't necessarily need to be water, just make sure you water down sugary drinks because too much sugar can cause you to crash.

That's something important to point out, too. In prior years when the weather in San Jose has been really pleasant (low 70s at most, or even that year it rained) it's still been quite hot in the convention center. The con center has had signs up for the last several years indicating that they keep the AC at a minimum in order to save energy, which you really start to feel when you're near Stage Zero, or at the dealers room. Sometimes I go back to my room just to cool off for a little bit between events.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Otaku_Lord

FanimeCon veteran of 6 years. Here's some honest answers:

1) I'm planning to go on Friday and do At-Con Registration.
Normally I'd tell you to go on Day Zero/Thursday if possible, but it will be badge-less this year. There's the whole big Thursday Night Swap Meet thing where you get to pick over the deals a whole day before those on Friday, but now that it's badge-less, I don't see the need for Pre-Reg. The Pre-Reg Lines are a nightmare, so you're probably saving yourself some time choosing to go on Friday. However, Friday is usually the day EVERYONE else comes to get Registered so...if you go really early you'll get a good spot in line, and once reg begins you'll go through pretty fast, but you'll have to wait...until it begins. Remember, there are tons of people thinking like you, "I need to be there early so I'll go early in the morning and camp for a few hours", but if you go later you may have to wait many hours. Its hard to say what's more equivalent- getting a good spot early and waiting a few hours for reg to open, or, going later and waiting hours for the lines to move. >.< Sometimes I've heard Friday moves faster than Thursday, but I guess the best advice I could suggest is go early, AND BRING A FOLD CHAIR. >.< Trust me, you'll want it. Oh- there's also the fact that Reg is being done COMPLETELY different this year in a brand new location so....I guess go early, so that way you aren't missing any good events that take place on Friday.

2) Is there a line for panels? Is it first come first serve type of thing?
Usually lines form for panels about 30 minutes before the panel, but they're never too long and at least fit in the same hallway. Now, if its a very big special guest, you'll find lines forming hours before certain events, with loads of people building up about an hour before the panel. ^^;; But...I don't think you'll have to worry about that much this year. With all the construction things will be more spaced out, and...the guest list is...meh IMHO. And yes, its usually first come, first serve. If a panel room is full, a staff member will wait until a few folks come out and then will let more people in.

3) Do you recommend bringing a lunch bag or going outside to eat lunch?
Definitely don't eat inside the convention center. "sometimes" there are places in some hallways open for short periods of time or "back areas" of the convention center that you might be able to whip out a quick snack, but I really recommend eating elsewhere, outside or in some other place. Best to eat at your hotel room or at nearby restaurants...or outside I guess.

4) Will I need to bring alot of water? ×_×; is it best to carry a backpack or smaller bag?
I'd definitely recommend bringing a water bottle. If you don't mind filling it up at drinking fountains or sinks then you shouldn't need to carry more than one. But you will DO A LOT OF WALKING so you'll definitely want to stay hydrated. The convention center exhibit halls alone make up for 2 super-wallmarts if they were connected. lol. Now, imagine walking around that a million times (everything is spaced out, dealer's hall is far from the panel rooms, and then there's outside which is a totally different direction) with 40k sweaty fans? XD Definitely stay hydrated.
Now, about your bag question- I've straight up rolled up in there with multiple roller-luggage-bags, a messenger bag, and a camping backpack because I SHOP ALOT. If you have any equipment like cameras, laptops, games, etc...you'll want to at least have some kind of bag. Also, there is talk of the Vendors not being allowed to give plastic bags out this year- so if you buy anything, you can only transport what you can hold in your arms unless you have something to put stuff into.

5) Where do you think is the best place to park? (I'm fine with paying a fee if it's less distance walking from the con)
At your hotel, or in the parking garage connected to the Marriot. Anything on the road on the left side of the Marriot is super ghetto at night and cars get broken into in those lots back there. I was almost mugged over there in 2010.

If all you want to do is explore. The best days are mostly Fri, Sat, and Sun, and there's lots of events, stuff to look at, buy, and more. The programming is really impressive.

Other advice:

Eat decent food, never try to skimp out on food to buy something, you'll end up weak and lethargic and wish you hadn't. And like I said earlier, its a big place and easy to get exhausted, so stay hydrated.
Definitely make a schedule of things you want to check out, we never know the full schedule until the con itself, but there's 100's of things to do and see so its really handy to make a list.
If you're a hardcore buyer like me, make a list of things you'll hunt for in the Dealer's Hall and check prices before you go so you know you're not getting ripped off when you're there.
Check Stage Zero- there's always something going on there everyday. Sometimes contests, guests sometime make an appearance, and the Fanimaids always have dazzling performances!
Read up on the panels too, you might find things like "Kazu's Industry How-To Guide", where in the description they mention they're giving out free anime figures. O-o Its awesome stuff like that which can score you some free swag.
And check out the swap meet on friday, still some good cheap stuff there.
Also, if you go to the fanime dance, PLEASE stay hydrated, people have been known to pass out in there. lol.

Just explore, stay as long as you can, there's always something to do at FanimeCon. Oh, and don't let this year's construction bother you, its quite the magical place, and will be back to normal next year.

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: melonflower on April 21, 2013, 08:04:58 PM
Hi everyone! I'm totally new to fanime and I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions!  ゚▽゚
This is my first year and I'm not quite sure about a few things. I would like other people's opinions

1) I'm planning to go on Friday and do At-Con Registration.
What time do you recommend I should go for at-con registration?
9am or 10am? Is that too late? What time is the line usually the longest at? And what is the usual wait time?

2) Is there a line for panels? Is it first come first serve type of thing? :o

3) Do you recommend bringing a lunch bag or going outside to eat lunch?

4) Will I need to bring alot of water? ×_×; is it best to carry a backpack or smaller bag?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you to anyone who reads it! ^▽^ if you have any other advice for a newcomer like me let me know! ∩_∩

1) Earlier the better, especially if you want to be at the con for quite some time.

2) Yes, panels have lines. Depending on how full a panel gets, it can become whoever is there first.

3) It really depends on what you want to spend. I keep food in my hotel room and only buy food at outside locations when eating with a group of people to socialize and such. A lunch bag would be good if you only plan for one day though.

4) Yes, bring liquids and stay hydrated. The size of the bag depends on what you plan to carry with you. Use a bag that fits your needs.

5) When I don't have hotel parking, I usually park in the parking lot on the side of the Hilton.

6) In my opinion, 1 day is enough to explore everything but not enough to fully enjoy the whole experience.

Hope this helps!

Wabbit98

As a current staff member, and long time attendee as well.  Please keep hydrated, we want you to enjoy the Con.  Not pass out on the floor from dehydration, and then you will no longer be enjoying the Con.
2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second